Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Apr 19, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #1,037 of 1,506
I dont believe I hit jackpot twice.
I am continue the burn in progress on both pairs and see if the noise disappear later....

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #1,038 of 1,506
  Need you guys who own P7 to pay attention here @_@.

I received my replacement unit from amazon yesterday~
In first test with 2nd pair, I still hear very minor distortion (fizzling noise) in the songs I had troubles with first pair. 

Then I put it burn in with ipod classic for 24 hours.

Now some songs I didnt have trouble of noise with first pair, 2nd pair produces serious fizzling noise like your headphone is blown !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMJ9G-JjSfE - Skyrim - Tooth and claw - The fizzling noise start from 0:38

Another test song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMPSKHC_ddo Harry Potter and the deathly hallows part 2 - Procession 

The noise only PRESENTs on Right Side Driver on both pairs.
I have these songs in apple lossless format on my mac, and I edit them with audacity , swap the left and right channel, test it again, and the noise ONLY appears on RIGHT channel.  

I suspect the right side driver is created unequally or have design flaw, or the cable that connect left to right might be having quality issue.

Guys, please confirm with me that your pair have no issue or have issue like mine.

tried with different amps. no problems here. However I do remember getting irritated with some form of noise before - just couldnt remember if it's just on one side or both. But if i remember it correctly, i switched cables (the one without remote) and it went away.  But then I tried again now with the previous cable and it works fine without noise so im not sure by now

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #1,039 of 1,506
I also tried with different anps w/o problem. But I had switched to the straight cable initially. I will do some critical comparison w/ iphone cable to see if I can replicate the problem after my fiios x5 arrives. Clarity seems good with sansa fuze. Sorry for your frustration. Ipods tried at the store seemed they had less clarity but no distortion. Burn in yielded no big difference...

jhv

Apr 22, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #1,041 of 1,506
Might want to consider your source as the cause of the fizzle. My note 3 does this but only sometimes. I know it's not the headphones since they sound fine with the laptop but for some reason the note 3 gives a fizzle on the left from time to time. I am using I pod cable fwiw.

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #1,042 of 1,506
  is it just the leather creasing? I think creasing on the leather is normal with extended usage (4 hours a day for 6 months is quite heavy usage).

I need to get a picture of it and post it up.  To me it feels like more than just the leather creased and it feels like there is some give in the structure behind the leather.

Apr 23, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #1,043 of 1,506
Might want to consider your source as the cause of the fizzle. My note 3 does this but only sometimes. I know it's not the headphones since they sound fine with the laptop but for some reason the note 3 gives a fizzle on the left from time to time. I am using I pod cable fwiw.

I have the same problem with my HTC ONE X, not P7s with HD 485s but from my hifi and laptop no such problems.

May 20, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #1,045 of 1,506
I have enjoyed reading through this entire thread. I've had my p7 for about a week now and have been using them with the Galaxy note 3 straight out, a centrance hifi m8/Classic IPod combo, and a Scarlett 8i6. all lossless fies. I can also confirm a very noticeable scalability improvement with these phones. It sounds fabulous to me With the Centrance Hifim8. A couple other things, I have noticed a substantial improvement in the first 24 hours specifically with the bass bloat. It seems much tighter , less muddy and more balanced now. I am finding it very enjoyable. It seems to like a db range of around 78 for me to enjoy them the most so that I can fully appreciate the mids as well as the pleasant v shaped sound sig is what appeals to me. The comfort was very borderline for me, but now after regular headband and slight metal bending massage I'm finding them fairly comfortable. I wasn't confident that they would get there, so maybe this testimony will give others a slight steroid shot for their patience regarding comfort. The soundstage width also seems quite impressive to me considering the closed back design. I feel a good seal has been demonstrated with both my wife and I with very low sound leakage at substantial volumes. My reference cans are the LCDx and HD650.

May 21, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #1,046 of 1,506
This is the hard case you're looking for need: August BAG650 - Case for August EP650 Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Headphones. 

The Augusts have precisely the same dimensions as the P7s when folded, so you get a perfect fit just like the soft case the P7s come with, but this one is strong and rigid. It's just 15 quid from Amazon: 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/August-BAG650-Bluetooth-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B00J7N7CIO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1400665698&sr=1-1&keywords=august+case 

And for anyone reading these threads who is trying to resist the temptation to go for the P7s, it's really best to just give in. That way you'll be saving yourself the time you'd otherwise waste with any other portable headphones...

May 23, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #1,047 of 1,506
  This is the hard case you're looking for need: August BAG650 - Case for August EP650 Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Headphones. 

The Augusts have precisely the same dimensions as the P7s when folded, so you get a perfect fit just like the soft case the P7s come with, but this one is strong and rigid. It's just 15 quid from Amazon: 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/August-BAG650-Bluetooth-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B00J7N7CIO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1400665698&sr=1-1&keywords=august+case 

And for anyone reading these threads who is trying to resist the temptation to go for the P7s, it's really best to just give in. That way you'll be saving yourself the time you'd otherwise waste with any other portable headphones...

Are you absolutely sure this fits the P7s? Do you own this case and are using it for the P7s? I only ask because I searched FOREVER (and a day) to find a hard case for the P7s things with little luck. I ended up finding a case that was the exact dimensions of the P7s folded, so I bought it and the case was still too small. Even when I made my headphones as short as possible, they were still too big for the case.

If you do own and are using this case, do you have to shrink the headphones in order to make them fit (e.g. push the height/fit adjustments all the way down)? I'd hate to have to readjust the height /fit of my headphones every time I take them in and out of the case.

Thanks in advance for any help given!

May 24, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #1,048 of 1,506
Hi new P7 owner here. Actually had them about a month, but thought I'd read all this thread before posting :)

Only recently got back into portables in a serious way, mini disc was my last standalone buy. Bought X5 and DX90 after getting tired of waiting on a ZX1 order and needed some phones.

Tried many of the usual £200-£300 suspects. Liked the look of the P5 and favourable magazine reviews. It just seemed completely muffled to my ears, in fact it nearly put me off even trying the P7s. Such a smooth sound with rolled off treble I couldn't believe it. Decided on Grado 325s, a bit ungainly but at least an exciting listen. But the shop's model kept cutting out on one channel. Think it was a bad fitting quarter inch adapter but it put me off.

Tried the P7 and finally crisp cymbals, coherent sound, stylish, bought after 20 minutes of listening to hi-res files I had accumulated.

May 24, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #1,049 of 1,506
Not easy posting on a phone while on holiday with intermittent WiFi, but to finish.

Got home from shop and disappointed at P7s overbearing bass! Wondered about burn-in but think the answer is a bit simpler. The headband seemed incredibly tight. I found that holding cup away from ear produced no bass and similarly pushing seal harder into face directly increased the amount unlike cheap on-ears I have had.

Massaging the headband outwards reduced the pressure and brought the bass to how I had heard it on probably a well worn sample in shop.

Now one happy bunny. As long as the lovely crisp treble doesn't lesson as a few have reported with burn-in!

May 26, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #1,050 of 1,506
Hmm… I’m slightly surprised about the comments/reviews about the B&W P7
I have one and I have heard quite a view Headphones ranging from Sennheiser via Grato and Ultrazone to Beyerdynamic  from Entry to HighEnd Models. And from my PoV the P7 is the Best in the sub 500,- class and punches also above this level.

What I like:
Treble - very, very good (probably the best in the up to 1000,- class)
Soundstage - Very accurate. Its easy to locate the exact poison of on instrument, voice and/or noise. (You’re right in the middle of the show…)
Very detailed from up-mids. Its just crisp!
Bass - really good at reproducing Moog Taurus type of bass (grumbling along, from deep down)
Works really well with extreme left-right panning
Very fast response
Materials and Comfort. Up there with the best

What I don’t like
Lower Mids to Mid-Bass - can get lost and muddy
Not Airy (Ok, its  closed can and has its disadvantages)
Not Neutral, U/V shaped
A tad to small

Used with Music:
I  hear a very wide range of music from Rock, POP Metal to Jazz, Alternative & Classic. However, I listen most to Genesis, Pink Floyd and Dreamtheater  but also stuff like Agnes Obel, SADE, Norah Jones, Feist, Melody Gardot, Massive Attack……..   
So, I would say its works very well with stuff like above but also with any acoustic /instrumental stuff.

May not the best choice for modern POP, RNB etc.

The Bass is sometimes described as boomy, but the B&W P7 needs to burn in very well (20-40hrs) in order to shine. Personally, I would say that straight out off the box the P7 is harsh.

Used with gear:
iPhone or iPad? Works, but a bad Idea as this one scales very very well and needs a good source (not just power but „clear“ as well well) to show, i.e. Meridian Explorer/Prime

Final Verdic:
A really great one, which was made for mobile use but is best used at home with a good AMP/DAC. The 400,- EUR  price tag is more like bargain and remember this is a closed can. The P7 has its weakness, but its strength are very hard to beat (esp. treble, crispness,  locating characteristic/soundstage).

All in all  lets the watch what  B&W would be cable of with a „open-can P9“ if the P7 is just the beginning.

Opponents? From my experience the likes of Sennheiser HD600/650
Next Level Up? Skip and go straight to Audeze/HD800.

B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back