Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Apr 11, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #1,022 of 1,506
hey guys, Need some helps for my p7. I received mine about a week ago from amazon. It sound great all songs, except fews songs I will list below. I can heard distortions when deep bass come in, but only happen on my right side driver. is it normal or I am having a pair with defective driver on right side?

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 - track 21 - Procession (Apple lossless)

The dark knight rise - track 18 time 0:55 - The end (AAC, 256Kbps)

Skyrim - track 1 - dragon born (Apple lossless)

I test with my other headphones senheiser IE8 and apple earbud , and b&w mm1 speaker. I cannot heard any distortion from those's playback.

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #1,023 of 1,506
I think i am the unlucky one.

My p7's right side driver have fizzle noise when playing this song both on youtube version and apple loseless version from my mac.

Harry potter track procession 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmJGReXqEpU 

YES, only right side driver! because I edit the apple lossless version in audacity and swap left and right channels and test still found the noise from right driver only......

My p7 only 1 week old and it got shipped from amazon US to asia ... I wonder if it has warrenty under cover by US's B&W and how I send them for repair or exchange. 

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #1,024 of 1,506
I believe amazon would arrange for an exchange without hassle. I have never had any trouble with them taking care of any product I wanted to exchange/replace...

good luck!

p.s. contact them asap.

Apr 11, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #1,025 of 1,506
I believe amazon would arrange for an exchange without hassle. I have never had any trouble with them taking care of any product I wanted to exchange/replace...

good luck!

p.s. contact them asap.

Thanks for your advice.
I just contact them and they arranged an exchange for me immediately and my new p7 would deliver to me by next wednesday!
This is actually a golden service for oversea purchaser...

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #1,026 of 1,506
For those with a pair of the P7s, does the back and the sides of your ear cups (the leatherish part) have very shallow dips and ridges? I don't mean the leather grain, but what looks like impressions. On my pair, I see some barely perceptible indentations on the back of the headphones/ear cups.

I did aswell, those imperfections were driving me crazy sometimes, also I had a smugde of glue in the grill that encloses the driver, I sent them back and still waiting for a replacement hopwfully they will be perfect this time.

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #1,027 of 1,506
I did aswell, those imperfections were driving me crazy sometimes, also I had a smugde of glue in the grill that encloses the driver, I sent them back and still waiting for a replacement hopwfully they will be perfect this time.

Hmm, mine are, for lack of a better word, perfect. They look well put together. Hope you get yours back soon!

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #1,029 of 1,506
no imperfections in the earcup whatsoever? mine had like ridges in one of the earcup edges where they meet the chrome which I find unaceptable for a luxury product, plus a smudge of glue in the grill.

Yeah, just inspected it after reading you guys' accounts. Everything's just put in right and no glue residue anywhere.

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #1,030 of 1,506
Yeah, just inspected it after reading you guys' accounts. Everything's just put in right and no glue residue anywhere.

triportsad.gif

Apr 13, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #1,031 of 1,506
  Was there ever a updated p5 or p3? 

I don't think the p7s need an update anyways. 

Anyone paired them with audioengine d1 or any fiio products?

i have the p7 and tried pairing it with e07, e17, e17+e09, e17+superlux ha3d and e07 Ha3d.  I love the e17+e09 combo best then e17+superlux ha3d.  the e17+09 combo makes a versatile combo for this headphones - you will be amazed specially if you try some binaural tracks.  Been comparing it with my shure 1540 - although they have very different sound sig in my opinion - i find that the shure has wider sound stage and more airy - the alcantara pads on that one may have played a major role on that.   Unfortunately, I find the p7 to be a bit more clamping on my head - and the leather pads tend to get warmer and less comfortable compared to the alcantara pads of the shure.  Both are really well-rounded cans even when un-amped, but from experience, the shure scales more readily than the p7 with better driver and amp.   

now trying the p7 with my ifi-chain setup (with itube).  I am not sure about this but at slightly higher volumes with the +6db buffer turned on, i am noticing very slight sibilance. But i have to listen more to be sure - it may just very well be the shots of whisky i had 30 minutes back. lol.   

overall, if you have the e17, try to drive the p7 from usb or optical - go with optical if you dont have good quality usb cable as you will more likely to notice some noise - however slight - with a cheapo one. and if you have the e09 or a better amp - bypass the e17 built-in amp and you will hear the p7 to open up noticeably.   Still, I think the AKG550 has bigger sound stage for a closed-back headphone compared to it, but the amount, speed and detail of bass on the P7 is better than the 550.  I'd say the AKG 550 sounds like you are having a date while there is a live performance going on - the p7 on the other hand is more intimate - it's like your date is singing at you! :D  I may try comparing it with the hd800 just for kicks - but the dac-amp to use is to be determined.

all that being said, im a new at trying to be critical/analytical of how cans sound - so i may have messed up some terms here and there - so please be forgiving :wink:  

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #1,032 of 1,506
Still loving my P7 as well. I am new to higher end headphones so take this with a grain of salt. But I just added a pair of HD650 and to me the sound signature isn't that different. The 650 pulls a lot more detail but to my ears they compliment each other perfectly as a closed portable can and an open home studio can. I'm very happy with them both.

which amp are you using to power the hd650? I am also considering them to complement my p7 but I went to test it out and I wasn't really that impressed

Apr 15, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #1,033 of 1,506
  which amp are you using to power the hd650? I am also considering them to complement my p7 but I went to test it out and I wasn't really that impressed

I am listening to the HD650 with just a Dragonfly.  I can't justify much more at this time.  I don't get much time to listen to the 650's.  The Dragonfly drives them pretty well, though I haven't heard them with better.

My P7's have a crease now right at the top of my headband.  I'm not sure if a coworker pulled them too far when putting them on, if I did it without noticing, or if it just happened over time.  Does anyone else see anything like this?  I bought mine from Best Buy with the warranty, so I'm sure i can just get them swapped out.  I'm just wondering if something in my headband snapped or if this is just normal after extended use (4 hours give or take per day for about 6 months.)

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #1,035 of 1,506
Need you guys who own P7 to pay attention here @_@.

I received my replacement unit from amazon yesterday~
In first test with 2nd pair, I still hear very minor distortion (fizzling noise) in the songs I had troubles with first pair. 

Then I put it burn in with ipod classic for 24 hours.

Now some songs I didnt have trouble of noise with first pair, 2nd pair produces serious fizzling noise like your headphone is blown !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMJ9G-JjSfE - Skyrim - Tooth and claw - The fizzling noise start from 0:38

Another test song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMPSKHC_ddo Harry Potter and the deathly hallows part 2 - Procession 

The noise only PRESENTs on Right Side Driver on both pairs.
I have these songs in apple lossless format on my mac, and I edit them with audacity , swap the left and right channel, test it again, and the noise ONLY appears on RIGHT channel.  

I suspect the right side driver is created unequally or have design flaw, or the cable that connect left to right might be having quality issue.

Guys, please confirm with me that your pair have no issue or have issue like mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back