Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Mar 8, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #961 of 1,506
Anyone else having fitting difficulty with the p7s? I don't think I have big ears or head but I find myself having to readjust to get the fit proper and even then I have been told people can hear the music until I adjust them again... mind you this is in a library setting so very quite surroundings.

Never seemed to have that problem with the Harmon nc's...

There are some people that have had issues getting the proper seal with the P7...  Tyll's dummy head had trouble getting a repeatable, reliable seal as well actually :p 

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #963 of 1,506
I've recently purchased p7 and have around 10 days left to return for full refund.
My experience with headphone is very limited and i apologize for any inaccurate statements.

Sometimes i enjoy listening music on youtube and i noticed that this song and possibly 1 or 2 more music in my music library produced some static like ear piercing sound, especially during the flute part, on my p7.

[VIDEO]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GTZptVelSSs[/VIDEO]

Can owner of p7 tell me if this is suppose to happen to p7 or is it due to quality of recording, because i tried multiple link to same music. Or is due to my p7 being a faulty product.

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #964 of 1,506
I've recently purchased p7 and have around 10 days left to return for full refund.
My experience with headphone is very limited and i apologize for any inaccurate statements.

Sometimes i enjoy listening music on youtube and i noticed that this song and possibly 1 or 2 more music in my music library produced some static like ear piercing sound, especially during the flute part, on my p7.

Since i cant post link, search youtube and click one with most view: john dreamer brotherhood
The sound is more obvious in 720p

Can owner of p7 tell me if this is suppose to happen to p7 or is it due to quality of recording, because i tried multiple link to same music. Or is due to my p7 being a faulty product.

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #965 of 1,506

Since i cant post link, search youtube and click one with most view: john dreamer brotherhood

Any particular part of the song? i just listened to it off youtube on my phone with the p7 through the e18 amp and there's no real distortion, although a composition like this would without a doubt be much better if listened to flac or alac compared to youtube. What are you using to play the song? it could be a low quality source (computer, tablet your using to play the song) the one i listened to was by ThePrimeCronus and the Cape Tranquility. Try playing the songs on something else... 

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #966 of 1,506

I agree wholeheartedly with the prior post. Listen to cleaner source material. Youtube must use alot of compression. Try a dedicated mp3 player or player/amp with good samples...

jhv :)

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #967 of 1,506
Any particular part of the song? i just listened to it off youtube on my phone with the p7 through the e18 amp and there's no real distortion, although a composition like this would without a doubt be much better if listened to flac or alac compared to youtube. What are you using to play the song? it could be a low quality source (computer, tablet your using to play the song) the one i listened to was by ThePrimeCronus and the Cape Tranquility. Try playing the songs on something else... 

I played it without amp connected to my ipad 4.
It was video in John Dreamer's channel at around 1:41, when high pitch sounds starts. I could hear very light but annoying "szszszsz"
If possible, can you listen to it without amp and see if you hear something similar.
But like you said its probably compression issue as it was not as obvious in other videos.

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #968 of 1,506
It was video in John Dreamer's channel at around 1:41, when high pitch sounds starts. I could hear very light but annoying "szszszsz"
If possible, can you listen to it without amp and see if you hear something similar.
But like you said its probably compression issue as it was not as obvious in other videos.

iPad 4 is actually a decent DAC, I don't think that's your issue. 

I've listened to it starting at 1:41, not getting that sound you're describing.  The closest thing that I can get is at 1:58 when the cymbals come out...  But even then, it's not a buzzing, it's properly rendered.  Note, I'm listening at around 60-70 dB using my MacBook Pro (late 2012 model) without an amp.  It's possible it could be the song itself distorting at high volumes, but more likely a malfunctioning driver in the P7 causing that. 

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #969 of 1,506

So i have an iPad 5 (same as 4 just with the lightening adapter connector) so i tested it out for you and even at 70% iPad volume (which was waay to loud for me but just for the sake of listening for you, i put it through and it was still perfectly clear. No distortion nothing, so i agree it may be actually be a bad driver in the p7. Also, though mine never distorted initially it didn't sound as clear the first week or so of use and i let it run pink noise for almost 20hrs which really helped clear and tighten everything up with the p7. Some headphones aren't effected by burn-in but i think the P7 really does benefit so try running pink noise for a few hours and go back and listen to it again. at iPad 50-55% volume it sounds perfect. BTW thanks for the introduction to the track! the composition sounds amazing!

But if you don't already have an amp get one! it sounds so much more transcending through an amp then just the ipad. 

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #970 of 1,506
iPad 4 is actually a decent DAC, I don't think that's your issue. 

I've listened to it starting at 1:41, not getting that sound you're describing.  The closest thing that I can get is at 1:58 when the cymbals come out...  But even then, it's not a buzzing, it's properly rendered.  Note, I'm listening at around 60-70 dB using my MacBook Pro (late 2012 model) without an amp.  It's possible it could be the song itself distorting at high volumes, but more likely a malfunctioning driver in the P7 causing that. 

So i have an iPad 5 (same as 4 just with the lightening adapter connector) so i tested it out for you and even at 70% iPad volume (which was waay to loud for me but just for the sake of listening for you, i put it through and it was still perfectly clear. No distortion nothing, so i agree it may be actually be a bad driver in the p7. Also, though mine never distorted initially it didn't sound as clear the first week or so of use and i let it run pink noise for almost 20hrs which really helped clear and tighten everything up with the p7. Some headphones aren't effected by burn-in but i think the P7 really does benefit so try running pink noise for a few hours and go back and listen to it again. at iPad 50-55% volume it sounds perfect. BTW thanks for the introduction to the track! the composition sounds amazing!

But if you don't already have an amp get one! it sounds so much more transcending through an amp then just the ipad. 

Thank for the quick responses and inputs.
I will drop by apple store and see if the p7 on the showcase has similar effect as mine and see if i can return or possibly trade for another.
Btw, as i was going though my musics, i start to notice similar problem in other musics, but not as obvious. Maybe I'm just imagining things.
It happen in treble region and sounds like something inside headphone is resonanting physically, or tiny sand partical got in the headphone and its making a background sound similar white noise when exact frequency is played.
If im not making any sense, sorry :p

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #971 of 1,506
Thank for the quick responses and inputs.
I will drop by apple store and see if the p7 on the showcase has similar effect as mine and see if i can return or possibly trade for another.
Btw, as i was going though my musics, i start to notice similar problem in other musics, but not as obvious. Maybe I'm just imagining things.
It happen in treble region and sounds like something inside headphone is resonanting physically, or tiny sand partical got in the headphone and its making a white noise when exact frequency is played.
If im not making any sense, sorry :p

I think you have a busted driver :wink:  It makes sense if that's what you have.  It could also be that you're sensitive to treble, in which case I would suggest swapping the P7 for a NAD HP50 :p

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #972 of 1,506
Hello Everyone.

Slightly different topic as I have not found too much info on the topic HEADPHONE FATIGUE in this thread so far. I am thinking about buying the P7 to replace my V-Moda M100 for the daily commute to work and listening at home, but I am worried about headphone fatigue.

I have owned a couple of headphones over the last years, including the TMA-1, V-Moda M100, Sennheiser Momentum and the B&W P5. While I liked the sound of the P5 or the Momentum better than the ones of the TMA-1 and M100, I had to return both the P5 and the Momentum because they caused me headphone fatigue. I never quite figured out what caused it, compared to the other two models, but I think it was a combination of having to crank up the volume too much to get that feeling of satisfaction when listening to my music and the fact that both seemed to sound a bit too bright (I am not an expert, so please excuse that amateur description). I just wondered if anyone on this post had similar issues with either the P5 or the Momentum owns the P7 now and care share his/her impressions or a comparison, especially when it comes to fatigue.

While I owned the Momentum and the P5 and the comparisons in this post are quite helpful to get a better idea about the P7, I would be happy if someone could share some impressions in regards to M100 vs P7 or TMA-1 vs P7.

Thank you in advance.

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #973 of 1,506
  Hello Everyone.

Slightly different topic as I have not found too much info on the topic HEADPHONE FATIGUE in this thread so far. I am thinking about buying the P7 to replace my V-Moda M100 for the daily commute to work and listening at home, but I am worried about headphone fatigue.

I have owned a couple of headphones over the last years, including the TMA-1, V-Moda M100, Sennheiser Momentum and the B&W P5. While I liked the sound of the P5 or the Momentum better than the ones of the TMA-1 and M100, I had to return both the P5 and the Momentum because they caused me headphone fatigue. I never quite figured out what caused it, compared to the other two models, but I think it was a combination of having to crank up the volume too much to get that feeling of satisfaction when listening to my music and the fact that both seemed to sound a bit too bright (I am not an expert, so please excuse that amateur description). I just wondered if anyone on this post had similar issues with either the P5 or the Momentum owns the P7 now and care share his/her impressions or a comparison, especially when it comes to fatigue.

While I owned the Momentum and the P5 and the comparisons in this post are quite helpful to get a better idea about the P7, I would be happy if someone could share some impressions in regards to M100 vs P7 or TMA-1 vs P7.

Thank you in advance.

I don't have the P5 or TMA-1 (only the TMA-1 Studio version which should be tuned differently if I'm not mistaken), but do have some M-100s on hand.  To cut to the chase, the M-100 is brighter than the P7 in regard that the treble is stronger.  They also do have different signatures as the M-100 can be seen (somewhat) as a v-shape while the P7 have a warmer, slightly bassy sound to them with ample treble volume.  I'd say to try them, Amazon gives you 30 days, right?  If those still give you fatigue, then I'd say to go to something like the NAD HP50. 

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #974 of 1,506

I don't have the P5 or TMA-1 (only the TMA-1 Studio version which should be tuned differently if I'm not mistaken), but do have some M-100s on hand.  To cut to the chase, the M-100 is brighter than the P7 in regard that the treble is stronger.  They also do have different signatures as the M-100 can be seen (somewhat) as a v-shape while the P7 have a warmer, slightly bassy sound to them with ample treble volume.  I'd say to try them, Amazon gives you 30 days, right?  If those still give you fatigue, then I'd say to go to something like the NAD HP50. 

That is exactly what I was going to say...I bought the P7's with the thought that if I didn't like them I would simply return them for the NAD's. Much to my surprise they've become my most used headphones and though I'm sure that the NAD's are wonderful I'm happy as a clam with the B&W P7's. Hell, I love them so much that I'm getting ready to buy a less powerful amp (Asgard 2) than my Lyr to use with them. 

I've worn mine for hours at a time while working in my office, but that is something that you'll have to find out for yourself as what sounds great to one may not for another and the same goes for comfort. Best of luck!

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #975 of 1,506
My B&W P7s stink ... literally. Out of the box they had a very strong chemical smell. Several weeks later the smell has faded and is tolerable but is still there. It seems to be from the leather. Has anyone else experienced this?

Otherwise, I have really been enjoying them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back