Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Feb 27, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #931 of 1,506
I find the noise isolation on these to be pretty good. Not great, but certainly good enough to use in the office.

When I first started listening to the P7, something about the midrange didn't sound quite right. But the more I listen, the more I think these are really fantastic headphones. Sometimes, it's your ears that need to break in!

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #932 of 1,506
I wish I still had my Westone 4R's (I lent them to my son months ago) on hand to compare them to the P7's, but beyond that I love these can's, and I'm using them more than any other full size headphones that I own. I haven't used them outside, mainly just around my office so I haven't noticed any lack of noise isolation but I wouldn't expect them to isolate as well as an IEM that's sealing off my ear canal.

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #933 of 1,506
That is really interesting. I had the exact same experience.

I bought these cans at a local audiophile shop.

That is actually a great story. In my city, all the small, specialized, electronics shops went bankrupt due to tough competition from a European (sort of) Best Buy chain store. The chain stores had lower prices, but worse inventory and service.

Now like 8 years after my favorite HiFi store went bankrupt, a new shop opened. They have everything on display. From electrostatic headphones, custom IEM’s, massive speakers and obviously these cans.

I compared multiple headphones for about an hour. The employee was the absolute best. He showed me, and demo’ed me the difference between closed and open cans. He let me listen to multiple headphones and asked me what I thought about the sound signature. I tried like 10 different pairs of headphones, before ending up with this B&W P7. Then he advised me to try out these headphones in a special listening room on an amazingly comfy sofa for a couple of hours in order to discover if I liked the sound. At first I thought the mids sounded slightly artificial. But then they started to grow on me.

Now wearing them for about 5 hours, I have fallen in love. I actually have a 60 day return period just in case I don’t like them. Oh and a 5 year warranty. And if that wasn’t enough, if it breaks in my lifetime after the 5 year warranty, I still get a 50% discount on a new set.

I actually tipped this guy. The first time I ever did so in a store. But this was just, amazing. I was completely happy when walking out, just for being treated nicely.

But I digress. The mids are really weard. At first I thought they were artificial. But now I have gotten used to that sparkle, and I love it! It sounds kind of like the mids of a proper speaker.

Feb 28, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #935 of 1,506
  How's the durability for the owners out there? Any visible signs of wear on the leather anywhere?

So far excellent.

If I had handed them over to someone telling them I just took them out of the box I'm 99% certain everyone would have believed me.

You can see the leather being slightly "smoother" on the ear cups, but I wouldn't call it wear. More the way a high quality leather sofa would look for 20 years.

I prefer the HP50 for sound, but in terms of comfort and quality the P7 are exceptionally good (certainly much better than the HP50).

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #936 of 1,506
I'm thinking of getting a pair of these soon. I know the build quality is fantastic but wanted to know if there have been any surprises in terms of manufacturing defects or durability issues. Thanks!

How's the durability for the owners out there? Any visible signs of wear on the leather anywhere?

Hope you are not going to ask the same question every 4 weeks. :wink:

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #937 of 1,506
Mine are holding up just as well as any of my other headphones, and you can buy replacement earpads (and cables) down the road if needed directly from B&W. A couple weeks ago I ordered the 5 meter cable (only $24 and Free Shipping) for my P7's so that I could use them with my desktop amp yet still move around the office which wasn't possible with the shorter cable. 

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Shop/Recertified-Products-and-Accessories/Special-Deals/accessories.html?utm_source=Bowers+&+Wilkins&utm_campaign=76b9ea7290-Valentines_20142_11_2014_US&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_22ec1c80b7-76b9ea7290-49608577

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #939 of 1,506
I am enjoying these cans a lot. The sound is incredible. I have one issue though.

Do any of you wear them outside? I feel quite embarrassed walking round town whilst wearing them. They are huge, especially coming from IEM’s. Furthermore they look expensive, like a luxury product.

I constantly feel like people are watching me.

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #940 of 1,506
  I am enjoying these cans a lot. The sound is incredible. I have one issue though.

Do any of you wear them outside? I feel quite embarrassed walking round town whilst wearing them. They are huge, especially coming from IEM’s. Furthermore they look expensive, like a luxury product.

I constantly feel like people are watching me.

I don't have the P7's, but I know that I would feel the same way. Then again, I have a hard time wearing any headphones out in public. The only ones that I might be able to do so with are the Mikros 90's, but we will see lol.

Mar 1, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #941 of 1,506
I don't have a problem with them. They aren't even that big, as you probably know there are even bigger. I consider these medium sized. I'm a guy that came from the pink Sony marqii lol so these are like heavenly smaller

Mar 5, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #943 of 1,506
Does ANYONE happen to know if the sheepskin leather used on the P7's is oil tanned?

I have a neutral color leather product that I use on all of my nice leather motorcycle jackets and gloves and its kept them looking great for years and I'd like to use it on the P7's but I don't know if its oil tanned or not (it says its safe for all oil tanned leather).

Mar 5, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #944 of 1,506
  Does ANYONE happen to know if the sheepskin leather used on the P7's is oil tanned?

I have a neutral color leather product that I use on all of my nice leather motorcycle jackets and gloves and its kept them looking great for years and I'd like to use it on the P7's but I don't know if its oil tanned or not (it says its safe for all oil tanned leather).

Might be better to suit B&W an email than to ask here on head-fi, although there's always the chance that someone here knows.

Mar 5, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #945 of 1,506

I don't have the P7's, but I know that I would feel the same way. Then again, I have a hard time wearing any headphones out in public. The only ones that I might be able to do so with are the Mikros 90's, but we will see lol.

Same here, and it really has nothing to do with looks.  I like to hear what's going on around me.  I don't like being oblivious.  Plane ride or something, sure.  But just walking around?  Lol, no.  I'd actually feel like an idiot.  Seriously, you can't just go to the store without listening to music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back