Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Feb 2, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #916 of 1,506
I've found that break-in mostly comprises of getting used to owning and using something new. The exception was usually headphones with titanium diaphragms....they tended to have a brittle coldness to the top end, which gradually got slightly less brittle and cold with use. As we use our headphones, pads soften, headband padding softens, they tend to get more comfortable and feel better, so they gradually "sound" better as well.

Feb 8, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #917 of 1,506
Hey guys.. May I ask how many of you here is using an amp to their P7; and what their brands?

Did it made any significant increase in terms of sound quality?

I recently bought a Sony Pha-1 and it didn't made any improvement except for the additional loudness which is expected. But with the same volume level of listening I didn't hear any change.

I tried the following source iPod, iPhone5, iPad Mini and MBP Retina

Any thoughts?

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #918 of 1,506
Hey guys.. May I ask how many of you here is using an amp to their P7; and what their brands?

I recently bought a Sony Pha-1 and it didn't made any improvement except for the additional loudness which is expected. But with the same volume level of listening I didn't hear any change.

Any thoughts?

For the most part, I'm going straight out of my iPhone / iPad.

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #919 of 1,506
The more I listen to these the more all around transparent they are to me.  I feel like it's just me and the music.  Very little outside sound.  To my (relatively untrained) ears, they are not overly colored and it's the music the way I imagine the artist wants it to be.  Even comfort wise I forget they are on.  I do like my recently acquired HD650 at least as much if not more, but they are just harder to find time to listen to being an open back.  Those do give me more of a feeling of sitting in a perfect room with some high quality speakers instead of headphones.  Probably more succinctly described as a wider soundstage.  I really feel this is the ideal 1-2 punch for me in headphones.  I'd like to get a better amp to play the HD650's on.  Right now I'm playing the P7's through my MacBook with a Dragonfly as my wife sleeps next to me 

As for amping, I can't say I hear a huge difference.  I feel like I can hear a dull static with any headphones through the headphone out on my MacBook.  That is gone with the Dragonfly.  The P7 sounds great directly out of my iPhone, but at work I connect my iPhone through a NuForce Icon Ido and while it's hard to quantify, I do prefer the sound through it ever so slightly.  Plus I can keep my music player open and not drain my battery all day.

As a final thought, for those that ultimately prefer around the ear cans but sometimes need an earbud; I recently got a cheap set of Sony MDR-EX37's.  I use them while running the snowblower (frequently this winter!) and they have really impressed me for $17-20.

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #920 of 1,506

Any thoughts?

I generally run it straight out of my iPhone 5s.  I've also used it out of the V-Moda Vamp Verza.  It warms up the headphones a little more XD 

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #921 of 1,506

Any thoughts?

I literally just run this out of my laptop or Galaxy S4 (via OTG cable) through my Dragonfly and sounds awesome!

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #922 of 1,506
Its not difficult at all to get enough "volume" from the P7's when driven by my Sansa Clip Zip (even better with the FiiO E11 added to the mix) but it does sound better as you feed it from a better source. The P7's sound fuller, more detailed, open/airy when driven by the Schiit Audio Lyr (DAC's used: M2Tech Young and Zdac) or with the amps built into the Benchmade DAC1 Pre or Parasound Zdac but in all these cases you have to figure in the fact that source DAC has changed as well. I'm really enjoying these closed headphones ALOT more than I had anticipated...I think they're worth every penny. 

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #924 of 1,506
How do you guys store these things? I find that to fit the case the best you have to extended the earpads all the way to get them to fold all the way. I hate losing the position of the earpads every time I use them.

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #925 of 1,506
How do you guys store these things? I find that to fit the case the best you have to extended the earpads all the way to get them to fold all the way. I hate losing the position of the earpads every time I use them.

If I'm going to be using it regularly, I just leave them on my desk.  Otherwise, I keep them in the case.  No a big deal to get them back to par for me.

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #926 of 1,506
Has anyone tried these with a Fiio x3, x5.  I find that even my humble Sansa Fuse sound much better then my cellphone...

thanks,

jhv

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #927 of 1,506
  Has anyone tried these with a Fiio x3, x5.  I find that even my humble Sansa Fuse sound much better then my cellphone...

thanks,

jhv

I got the X3.

I think they work great together. Then again the only other source I got is an old iPad Nano from 2008/2009. Certainly worth the upgrade compared to that, but in other cases I couldn't really comment.

NB! Based on your username I assume you are Norwegian. I'm not sure what the X3 sells for now, but when I bought it you could get it for half the price on Ebay (after tax and delivery).

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #928 of 1,506
I just bought a pair of these, and I love them already. It may sound weird on a headphone forum, but this is the first headphone that I ever bought. I used to just buy high-end IEM’s: Sennheisers, Sony’s, and finally Ultimate Ears both SuperFi’s, TripleFi’s and UE900’s. They always broke and I wanted to try something new.

It is quite a weird experience. On the one hand the sound is much more dynamic and spatial. It is also slower than the fast-paced IEM’s though.

Overall I like it. The build quality is also great. Every single part is either leather or metal. A shame that the isolation is poor though…

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #929 of 1,506
  I just bought a pair of these, and I love them already. It may sound weird on a headphone forum, but this is the first headphone that I ever bought. I used to just buy high-end IEM’s: Sennheisers, Sony’s, and finally Ultimate Ears both SuperFi’s, TripleFi’s and UE900’s. They always broke and I wanted to try something new.

It is quite a weird experience. On the one hand the sound is much more dynamic and spatial. It is also slower than the fast-paced IEM’s though.

Overall I like it. The build quality is also great. Every single part is either leather or metal. A shame that the isolation is poor though…

Many is of this opinion so I can't exactly say it is wrong, but it surprises me. I use them commuting and I hardly ever notice any external sound. I'm actually surprised of how good the noise isolation is.

This coming from someone being used to the Q15. Obviously the P7 won't isolate / cancel as well as the Q15, but again I'm positively surprised.

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #930 of 1,506

Many is of this opinion so I can't exactly say it is wrong, but it surprises me. I use them commuting and I hardly ever notice any external sound. I'm actually surprised of how good the noise isolation is.

This coming from someone being used to the Q15. Obviously the P7 won't isolate / cancel as well as the Q15, but again I'm positively surprised.

I guess it is just what you’re used to. I am coming from IEM’s with memory foam tips. Obviously an over-the-head headphone will isolate worse.

I have to say though, travelling from the shops to my house, I could clearly hear some traffic noise. It just has no chance of for example blocking the sound of a truck passing by. I do travel bycicle though, living in the Netherlands. (It sort of looks like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkgKYjrNLwg)

I don’t mind traffic noise while cycling though. It might actually be safer. The real test will be driving on the Autobahn whilst wearing them. My car makes a lot of noise at 140mph+. The engine noise isn’t too terrible, but the continuous whining of the tires is extremely annoying. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back