Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Jan 3, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #826 of 1,506
I am absolutely astonished at the high quality sound coming out of the $39.99 BlueAnt Embrace headphone right out of the box, connected directly to my iPhone. This was one $40 investment that was well worth it. It is not as nice as the P7 but I am truly amazed for the value received for $40.

The OMTP adapter, provided, must be used to work with the iPhone 5 using either of the two provided cords; but is not needed to work on the iPad. The adapter can be left on either of the two cords provided, or taken off, and will work on the iPad.

The audio cords have a 2.5 mm plug that plugs into the left cup and a 3.5 mm 90 degree angle plug to plug into the source.

I will definitely buy another one of these as a gift.

This is an on-the-ear headphone. It appears to be built well. Not as well as the Bowers and Wilkins; but, very nice for a $40 headphone.

Mine came in yesterday! They sound phenominal for $40! Sold a few others on them as well. You have to think, people rated them 4.5 stars at $200. Would be inane not to order them for $40... that's my rationale anyway, lol. I read some reviews that they fall off easily albeit being a little tight. I took them to the gym tonight and they didn't move a bit on the treadmill. When I bent down to tie my shoe, though, they slid right off. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #827 of 1,506
I assume these headphones are similar to some of the reviews of the PSB M4U 1s in that (because of their accuracy) they are not really forgiving, and sometimes cause badly recorded tracks to really stand out (not for a good reasons). I was actually worried when I first listened to these headphones, because on a certain song I was playing whenever the musician said the word Celebrate (in the chorus) the S-sound was ridiculously sharp. It was so sharp that I thought something was wrong with the headphones. It was pretty bad and borderline distorted. The issue had to be with that particular song though, because I hastily played some other tracks and listened for the same issue, but I didn't hear it at all. Everything sounded extremely smooth and how I would expect it to.

So far I am liking these headphones. As expected I hate the included carrying case, but I guess it will do the job. I will be posting more after I get in some more listening time with them.

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #828 of 1,506
You're right Illustrator; It's only evident on some sources. Most of the time it's fine.
Here's one of my problems. Doing a little EQ on my iPod (or Macbook Pro) isn't a big deal really.
But I like to use headphones when I watch movies. I play blu-rays through a PS3 via HDMI to a Pioneer receiver.
It's a decent receiver (albeit with a too-complicated interface). Ironically, as complicated as it is, the EQ feature via headphones is a blunt instrument. The only equalization you can manipulate is a simple "tone control". It's just a ham-fisted bass and treble control (where are we, the 60's?!). To adjust the upper mids / lower treble is impossible without bringing down the entire upper end. I would have to run the signal through another piece of hardware, with with an, at least, 10 band equalizer...
Anybody have any suggestions?

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #829 of 1,506
I've been following this thread for a while, but haven't seen this mentioned. Which genres are the P7s good at? From what I've read they seem to be a pretty good all-rounder. I listen to a lot of metal, so feedback from anyone who owns the P7 and has the same tastes as me would be great.

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #830 of 1,506
I think they're pretty good with metal. The bass is strong and focused but not bloated. The harshness I've mentioned is mostly on older recordings that are inherently very upper mid / treble oriented. The cans seem quite fast. I just listened to some Metallica and can't find too much to complain about there.

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #831 of 1,506
I know this has been touched on previously. Some have stated that the P7s "scale well" with a good amp/dac.
What specifically is the effect of this combination on the sound? I don't (as yet) have a dedicated headphone amp/dac.

Jan 4, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #832 of 1,506
  I know this has been touched on previously. Some have stated that the P7s "scale well" with a good amp/dac.
What specifically is the effect of this combination on the sound? I don't (as yet) have a dedicated headphone amp/dac.

If the amp/DAC in question is in fact a technical improvement in sound that you can hear (as opposed to just a different "color", so to speak) then everything will improve. I know it's a dull answer, but if you have a filthy window and you clean it, all of the outside world becomes more clearly visible - not just the trees or the airplane in the sky. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #834 of 1,506
  I think they're pretty good with metal. The bass is strong and focused but not bloated. The harshness I've mentioned is mostly on older recordings that are inherently very upper mid / treble oriented. The cans seem quite fast. I just listened to some Metallica and can't find too much to complain about there.

I actually think the issue would be in newer recordings that are compressed more rather than the older ones.  On older ones, the P7's treble is beautiful.  But yes, the P7 can be problematic on poor recordings, but it is very forgiving in nature though.  

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #835 of 1,506
Sorry quick question here as I'm looking into getting a beginner desktop setup like the schiit magni or vali with the modi. But since the P7's impedance is only 22 ohm's and with the 8 times rule does that mean it won't pair with this setup? I tried reading the impedance guides but i just don't understand it. Also if someone is kind enough can someone explain to me how does a set of headphone drivers might pop/break if plugged into a setup that doesn't pair well?  

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #837 of 1,506
  Sorry quick question here as I'm looking into getting a beginner desktop setup like the schiit magni or vali with the modi. But since the P7's impedance is only 22 ohm's and with the 8 times rule does that mean it won't pair with this setup? I tried reading the impedance guides but i just don't understand it. Also if someone is kind enough can someone explain to me how does a set of headphone drivers might pop/break if plugged into a setup that doesn't pair well?  

Read below, it won't break your headphones unless your putting too much power into them...  At that point, if you had the headphones on, you may also get some collateral damage...  Health related collateral damage, some serious possibly.  As for output impedance.  Output impedance can affect the way a pair of headphones sounds which is, in a way what the impedance (vs frequency) will measure.  They are normally measured using a given load of output impedance to see how they will react.  The result is an idea of how much the headphones will change, with respect to a certain frequency, as there is more resistance added to the system.  Some headphones have a very linear impedance reading, others are a little wonky.  This can play a roll into how a pair of headphones will pair with the setup.

I've never heard of headphones frying just because they were plugged into a source that "doesn't pair well." Now plugging low impedance headphones into a powerful speaker amp, on the other hand...

I think his reading would be more about how output impedance affects a pair of headphones as he specifically talks about impedance and system impedance (the 8x rule apparently).  But you are obviously right with the too much power...  Each headphone does have a theoretical max...  

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #838 of 1,506
Quick question, will the P7s benefit from an amp/dac combo like the Schiit M&M or Vali & modi? Or should I just look for an external dac like the dragonfly, meridian explorer and skip the amp. Someone did mention to me that a schiit stack would probably be too excessive for the P7s and it'll only benefit open headphones, I just need to know which way to go as my home source is just a 2 year old toshiba laptop and I have to say it doesn't sound as nice when i have them plugged in to my nexus 5.

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #839 of 1,506
  Quick question, will the P7s benefit from an amp/dac combo like the Schiit M&M or Vali & modi? Or should I just look for an external dac like the dragonfly, meridian explorer and skip the amp. Someone did mention to me that a schiit stack would probably be too excessive for the P7s and it'll only benefit open headphones, I just need to know which way to go as my home source is just a 2 year old toshiba laptop and I have to say it doesn't sound as nice when i have them plugged in to my nexus 5.

They are stated to scale up well.  Wish I could give you something more deductive, I've only tested them out of a Vamp, they scaled up in that situation too, but were a little warmer... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back