Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Jan 2, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #811 of 1,506
This pic shows just how tiny the M+M stack is. On their own without the headphones for comparison, they look the size of normal desktop amps/DACs.
What do they require in terms of proof of purchase? Mine was a gift so I don't have a receipt.

You need to REGISTER your product to get 90 days free; otherwise, you can still receive 30 days free if I remember correctly.

I believe you need to put in your contact information, then on the next screen you choose the product, then the model, then you enter the purchase date and the serial number.

You might have to choose the model drop down menu twice. After I selected the product of headphone, the model numbers to choose from on the next pull down did not show up until my second attempt. I may have had to select the product choice pull down twice too, as maybe headphone did not show up the first time either, Just try them both a couple of times, it will work.

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #812 of 1,506
You need to REGISTER your product to get 90 days free; otherwise, you can still receive 30 days free if iI remember correctly.

I believe you need to put in your contact information, then on the next screen you choose the product, then the model, then you enter the purchase date and the serial number and maybe the store.

You might have to choose the model drop down menu twice. After I selected the product of headphone, the model numbers to choose from on the next pull down did not show up until my second attempt. I may have had to select the product choice pull down twice too, as maybe headphone did not show up the first time either, Just try them both a couple of times, it will work.

Yea, actually all you need to do is sign up for an account on the B&W site, then register your headphones with the model, serial number and date of purchase (month and year). Pretty fuss-free.

If you've bought more than one pair of B&W headphones, the subscription is cumulative too. I bought both the P3 and P7, and got 6 months subscription when I registered both pairs together.

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #813 of 1,506
I just got my pair yesterday and so far they sound great! The only concern right out of the box was a bit of glare in the upper mids, but that seems to have settled down a bit with overnight burn in. More impressions and full review to come - but the subwoofer-like bass and the treble clarity are amazing.

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #814 of 1,506
Anybody listening to the P7s with no EQ and no amp/dac? My only reservation with these cans is the push in the mid-treble, so I decided to put them to the acid test. Last night I played several selections from The Beatles' early catalog (the 2009 remasters). Now, admittedly, these are not what you might call "hi-fi" recordings. I found the mid-treble embellishment intolerable on these tunes. It actually hurts my ears. I found that if I put the iPod into the "loudness" iTunes EQ setting, the sound was less intense. On an EQ app (the Denon headphone app), I found that if I pulled down the slider around the 4k frequency, a similar effect was achieved. I could listen without my ears "bleeding". I really wanted to keep these headphones, but I keep coming back to this "problem".

The HP50s were kinder to my ears on this material, but they are (for me) like big on-ear cans (rather than circumaural) due to the shallow pads and become pretty uncomfortable after awhile. Shucks.

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #815 of 1,506
  Anybody listening to the P7s with no EQ and no amp/dac? My only reservation with these cans is the push in the mid-treble, so I decided to put them to the acid test. Last night I played several selections from The Beatles' early catalog (the 2009 remasters). Now, admittedly, these are not what you might call "hi-fi" recordings. I found the mid-treble embellishment intolerable on these tunes. It actually hurts my ears. I found that if I put the iPod into the "loudness" iTunes EQ setting, the sound was less intense. On an EQ app (the Denon headphone app), I found that if I pulled down the slider around the 4k frequency, a similar effect was achieved. I could listen without my ears "bleeding". I really wanted to keep these headphones, but I keep coming back to this "problem".

The HP50s were kinder to my ears on this material, but they are (for me) like big on-ear cans (rather than circumaural) due to the shallow pads and become pretty uncomfortable after awhile. Shucks.

How long have you had them for? I had the same problem right out of the box. It seems to have settled down a bit, but I'm hoping it will further decrease.

Do you have the same issue with other recordings?

By the way, mid-treble is around 8k. I would consider 4k to be upper mids.

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #816 of 1,506
I have the P7 for more than two months now. after a month I still felt some spikes in the treble with some songs. for about 2-3 weeks I haven't heard anything disturbing like this and am perfectly happy with these cans. they could isolate better but they are good enough for the train and really great for quieter places. the treble is great and I wouldn't want anything fewer bass.

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #817 of 1,506

I will be as soon as I get mine, so I can report back on this as well.

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #818 of 1,506

Could you try pulling down the EQ on the Denon at the 2kHz band instead of the 4kHz band?  I'm looking at Tyll's frequency response curves on innerfidelity, and comparing the P7 with the NAD HP50, the main difference seems to be a 5dB bump at 2kHz for the P7 relative to the HP50. 

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #819 of 1,506
  I have the P7 for more than two months now. after a month I still felt some spikes in the treble with some songs. for about 2-3 weeks I haven't heard anything disturbing like this and am perfectly happy with these cans. they could isolate better but they are good enough for the train and really great for quieter places. the treble is great and I wouldn't want anything fewer bass.

I personally would rather that low-to-mid-bass focus of the bass to be toned down.  

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #820 of 1,506
@jazzman7 I don't hear any peak at 2khz. Many of the closed headphones I've tried that have it. The M50, 1R, etc. all have it. The P7 has emphasis higher up in the upper mids and lower treble. But there is not much of a mid-treble peak (sibilance area). There is more emphasis in the high treble (above 10k) that gives it some nice sparkle.

@tinyman392 The bass can be a bit too much for quiet indoor listening, but as a portable it's perfect IMO. When there's outside noise the first thing I can't hear is bass.

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #821 of 1,506
Well, 4khz is an approximation; that seemed to be the general area (the EQ sliders aren't that detailed in terms of seeing the specific frequency). I've had the P7s since mid November and have put at least 200 hours on them. I agree that the initial spikiness has lessened, but it still pops up here and there. As I mentioned previously, it doesn't seem to be an anomaly. It's simply the result of the push in that region of the spectrum. The strident bits in some pieces of music are audible on other phones; it's just that (to my ears) those strident moments rise above my personal tolerance level on the B&Ws. Of course all sources are different, and I don't mind adjusting the volume on occasion...but I'd hate to have to be constantly fooling with the EQ. Today I've pretty much decided to return both the P7s and the NADs. Alas! At least I have my Beyers to fall back on.

Jan 3, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #822 of 1,506
I just got my pair yesterday and so far they sound great! The only concern right out of the box was a bit of glare in the upper mids, but that seems to have settled down a bit with overnight burn in. More impressions and full review to come - but the subwoofer-like bass and the treble clarity are amazing.

The bass is great, right? That should be mentioned more! It's super tasteful, and I can see any bass lover getting used to it as long as they're kept away from EQs.

Watching movies on this is a delight as well!

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #823 of 1,506
I wish you wouldn't have told me that! I'm not very good with my disposable income. When something is heavily marked down and it's something that I'd use I feel like I have to buy it, even if I don't really need it. I've never heard of these but I think I'm about to tap the checkout button. :xf_eek:

I am absolutely astonished at the high quality sound coming out of the $39.99 BlueAnt Embrace headphone right out of the box, connected directly to my iPhone. This was one $40 investment that was well worth it. It is not as nice as the P7 but I am truly amazed for the value received for $40.

The OMTP adapter, provided, must be used to work with the iPhone 5 using either of the two provided cords; but is not needed to work on the iPad. The adapter can be left on either of the two cords provided, or taken off, and will work on the iPad.

The audio cords have a 2.5 mm plug that plugs into the left cup and a 3.5 mm 90 degree angle plug to plug into the source.

I will definitely buy another one of these as a gift.

This is an on-the-ear headphone. It appears to be built well. Not as well as the Bowers and Wilkins; but, very nice for a $40 headphone.

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #824 of 1,506

The P7 sounds great. It sounded better after 25-30 hours of use.

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #825 of 1,506
I am absolutely astonished at the high quality sound coming out of the $39.99 BlueAnt Embrace headphone right out of the box, connected directly to my iPhone. This was one $40 investment that was well worth it. It is not as nice as the P7 but I am truly amazed for the value received for $40.

The OMTP adapter, provided, must be used to work with the iPhone 5 using either of the two provided cords; but is not needed to work on the iPad. The adapter can be left on either of the two cords provided, or taken off, and will work on the iPad.

The audio cords have a 2.5 mm plug that plugs into the left cup and a 3.5 mm 90 degree angle plug to plug into the source.

I will definitely buy another one of these as a gift.

This is an on-the-ear headphone. It appears to be built well. Not as well as the Bowers and Wilkins; but, very nice for a $40 headphone.

Mine haven't even shipped yet. Lol. Got them direct from Amazon, but they were out of stock. I like the idea of having warranty XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back