Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Dec 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #646 of 1,506
What do you guys think about wearing closed headphones in the corporate world? I once took my B&W P5 to the office and people started asking questions about my headphones. So I switched to the Shure SE535 since earbuds seems to be more common. 

Dec 8, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #647 of 1,506
No argument there, but even with closed, some people will bring up alpha dogs or TH600/900. Never heard those so I can't make any opinions. I have to admit some bias on pricing considering I purchased the M500 for nearly half the price of the P7. Also had the P7 been at the price I got the M500 for I wouldn't be talking about better setups for the price cuz the options would be much more limited. Conversely, had the P7 been priced at say $1000, I think we would all be screaming foul at how B&W pulled an Ultrasone.

Dec 8, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #648 of 1,506
What do you guys think about wearing closed headphones in the corporate world? I once took my B&W P5 to the office and people started asking questions about my headphones. So I switched to the Shure SE535 since earbuds seems to be more common. 

Just don't let them know the price. Anything north of $200 people will think you're crazy.

Dec 8, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #649 of 1,506
No argument there, but even with closed, some people will bring up alpha dogs or TH600/900. Never heard those so I can't make any opinions. I have to admit some bias on pricing considering I purchased the M500 for nearly half the price of the P7. Also had the P7 been at the price I got the M500 for I wouldn't be talking about better setups for the price cuz the options would be much more limited. Conversely, had the P7 been priced at say $1000, I think we would all be screaming foul at how B&W pulled an Ultrasone.

I don't think the P7 is overpriced at all for a closed headphone, considering you get not only excellent sound but exquisite build quality as well. I also think the P7 justifies its higher MSRP (where I live, this difference is slight) with its better audio quality compared to the KEF, which is also very good overall for a closed can, and very impressive for an on-ear. 

Have not heard the TH600 or TH900 but I've seen sources I trust well enough state that they are too bright. 

Dec 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #650 of 1,506
I personally judge the worth of a pair of cans by how much I use them and how much I enjoy using them during this time, not by their initial cost. Nothing is overpriced to me as it fits these two criteria. Just my 2 cents though :p

Dec 8, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #651 of 1,506
One more thing I like about the P7s: there is very little microphonic noise. The nifty and very likeable 1350s have an abundance of this noise. A mere touch or jostle to the cord or the ear cups conduct sounds that can be distracting. A fairly minor point, but...

Dec 8, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #652 of 1,506
I personally judge the worth of a pair of cans by how much I use them and how much I enjoy using them during this time, not by their initial cost. Nothing is overpriced to me as it fits these two criteria. Just my 2 cents though
tongue.gif

Agreed, I'm the same way on products in general.  I'm OK paying more for something that I get a lot of regular use from.  Something like the P7, even if it costs $100 more than the competition, if I use it as much as I'm using mine I'm fine with paying the higher price.  I also don't mind paying more for better build, better design, and better materials.  That's probably why I'm an Apple guy as well...

Dec 8, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #653 of 1,506
Agreed, I'm the same way on products in general.  I'm OK paying more for something that I get a lot of regular use from.  Something like the P7, even if it costs $100 more than the competition, if I use it as much as I'm using mine I'm fine with paying the higher price.  I also don't mind paying more for better build, better design, and better materials.  That's probably why I'm an Apple guy as well...

This reason gets harder and harder to justify the more we get though. Poor us :rolleyes:

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #654 of 1,506
Hi all,

Frequent lurker and first time poster here. I'm digging the P7s but am also liking the B&O H6 for the same price. Am curious about Head Fi's thoughts on how they compare...it's a tough choice.

Regards

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #655 of 1,506
I'd recommend spending some time with both (the local Best Buy Magnolia room had both sets to try out). I found the B&Os to be comfy but very treble oriented. However, that was after spending some time with the P7s. Those cans have a broad (and as some have stated, overdone) bass. Most of the time I don't have a problem with the bass on the P7s. The H6 cans sounded relatively thin in comparison, but I didn't hunker down for an extended listen...

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #656 of 1,506

What kind of questions were they asking?  I mean, I find that I get curious questions anywhere I where nice headphones.  I wouldn't consider them inappropriate for the corporate environment just because people were interested in them.  In the office I work in, I would say that on or over-ear headphones are much more common than in-ear.  In the interest of transparency though, I do work for an electronics retailer.  I can see how it may be slightly different in a more conservative environment.

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #657 of 1,506
I wear mine at work. Probably a 50/50 mix hear of over and on ears to in ears. Nobody has anything is decent quality and I still get no comments on the P7. I get more on my Nuforce dac/amp.

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #659 of 1,506
Yes, even in my environment, where people are pretty tech-savvy, most are simply dumbfounded by the concept of headphone amps.  

I'm a mechanical engineer. You'd hope they could appreciate the concept at least. Most of them are enjoying the earbuds that came with their phone though, so I don't take offense.

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #660 of 1,506
I bought a pair of these earlier on today. First impressions when comparing to the P5's (which I have owned since January 2012) after using them for around 1 hour listening to Spotify direct through an Ipad :

Drums sound more realistic - this was one thing that I never loved about the P5's was the way they portrayed drums
The P7's have a more open airy sound
Less on ear clamping force - generally more comfortable than the P5's, I wear glasses & will have to see how my ears feel after longer listening sessions though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back