Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Oct 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #78 of 1,506

I have both the M500 and P7 on my desk at the moment and to my ears there is a chalk and cheese, black and white difference between the M500 and P7. It's only really noticeable once going back to the M500 but the P7 has a larger soundspace so you can hear each instrument a lot clearer. When going back to the M500 it all appears as one noise. If that makes sense!

Regards

Phil

This is what I'm hearing as well when I compare the two directly. Because the M500 sit closer to your ears I guess they naturally have more of an in your face kind of sound, and their style of treble adds to that impression when you go from the P7 to the M500. It's almost a relief going back to the P7 and having more space between you and the sound and getting the softer treble.

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #79 of 1,506
Just a heads-up, these will also be going on live demo in a large number of Magnolia stores across the US.  Basically, if the store near you has a B&W branded display hanging on the wall, they will get a P7 demo unit.  These should all be in place around the last week in Oct.  

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #82 of 1,506
  This is what I'm hearing as well when I compare the two directly. Because the M500 sit closer to your ears I guess they naturally have more of an in your face kind of sound, and their style of treble adds to that impression when you go from the P7 to the M500. It's almost a relief going back to the P7 and having more space between you and the sound and getting the softer treble.

Well I did find that some tracks on the M500 had a somewhat harsh treble. So I'm really looking forward to the P7. Should be here Friday or Saturday. Loved the bass on the M500 though, went really deep (sub-bass) without being overpowering the mids and highs. Hope the P7 has good bass as well (I'm not a basshead though, but can appreciate it when listening to electronic music, although that's not the only genre I listen to).

Oct 9, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #84 of 1,506
nice photo

how do they sound together ?

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #86 of 1,506
Here is iLounge's review, showing some nice pictures including the accessories and the size of the P7 compared to the P5 and P3.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/bowers-wilkins-p7-headphones/

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #87 of 1,506
Well I got the P7 today, will post my first impressions after a few hours of listening :)

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #88 of 1,506
  Well I got the P7 today, will post my first impressions after a few hours of listening :)

So my first quick impressions, comparing these to the Momentum. Keep in mind that the P7 barely has had any burn-in and that the sound might change a bit over time (will leave them to burn in overnight and will give it a closer listen tomorrow).

Compared to the Momentum, the sound is a bit fuller, perhaps slightly warmer. I guess it's mainly due to the fact that the bass in the P7 is slightly weightier. However, in spite of the weightier bass it doesn't drown out the mids or highs at all, still very clear in that range. The mids sound well defined and the treble isn't as rolled off as the Momentum. It's still not a bright sounding headphone though.

For electronic music the P7 is a great headphone, the somewhat weightier bass helps with this. I so far prefer the P7 over the Momentum with electronic music. With acoustic music (such as guitars) I need to give it some more listening, the Momentum is quite a great performer in that area. The P7 also sounds good, but need to do some more A/B'ing to be able to more clearly describe the differences.

Comfort wise, the earcups are a bit larger than the Momentum, which works perfectly for my ears. The Momentum is a bit too small for my ears, so while initially it feels very nice with the soft plush leather used on the Momentum, after a while I'm readjusting them every 5 minutes which quickly becomes annoying, distracting me from the most important thing: the music. So far with the P7 I only have to get the proper fit once and then I don't have to readjust them. I can tell though that the P7 is a bit heavier, as I can feel the headband a bit more clearly on my head vs. the Momentums. The clamping pressure is just fine, not too hard or too soft. So far, comfortwise it's a winner for me. But some more extended listening will be the final judge on that.

Oct 10, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #89 of 1,506

So my first quick impressions, comparing these to the Momentum. Keep in mind that the P7 barely has had any burn-in and that the sound might change a bit over time (will leave them to burn in overnight and will give it a closer listen tomorrow).

Compared to the Momentum, the sound is a bit fuller, perhaps slightly warmer. I guess it's mainly due to the fact that the bass in the P7 is slightly weightier. However, in spite of the weightier bass it doesn't drown out the mids or highs at all, still very clear in that range. The mids sound well defined and the treble isn't as rolled off as the Momentum. It's still not a bright sounding headphone though.

For electronic music the P7 is a great headphone, the somewhat weightier bass helps with this. I so far prefer the P7 over the Momentum with electronic music. With acoustic music (such as guitars) I need to give it some more listening, the Momentum is quite a great performer in that area. The P7 also sounds good, but need to do some more A/B'ing to be able to more clearly describe the differences.

Comfort wise, the earcups are a bit larger than the Momentum, which works perfectly for my ears. The Momentum is a bit too small for my ears, so while initially it feels very nice with the soft plush leather used on the Momentum, after a while I'm readjusting them every 5 minutes which quickly becomes annoying, distracting me from the most important thing: the music. So far with the P7 I only have to get the proper fit once and then I don't have to readjust them. I can tell though that the P7 is a bit heavier, as I can feel the headband a bit more clearly on my head vs. the Momentums. The clamping pressure is just fine, not too hard or too soft. So far, comfortwise it's a winner for me. But some more extended listening will be the final judge on that.

Thanks for the impressions. Your comments are kinda worrisome as I find the Momentums about as warm as I like and any more bass would be too much IMO. Hopefully things settle down with some burn-in. Please keep us posted.

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #90 of 1,506
  Thanks for the impressions. Your comments are kinda worrisome as I find the Momentums about as warm as I like and any more bass would be too much IMO. Hopefully things settle down with some burn-in. Please keep us posted.

Yeah.....I have read about 6 or 7 different P7 reviews thus far and each seem to depict a different sonic character
blink.gif

confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back