Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Dec 4, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #571 of 1,506

The first P7 I tried also didn't sound special. And the second one I tried blew me away. So maybe the first production run produced some faulty units? Who knows...

Oh, for all you P7 owners, I highly recommend you sign up for the Society of Sound on the B&W website (you get a 3mth free trial). There are some really excellent recordings on that site, most of them in hi-res flac format.

downloading now... thanks for the reminder. planning to download after registered online but it just slipped my mind. :D

Dec 4, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #572 of 1,506
I tried the P7s today for the third time and I still don't like the sound. I find it to be recessed in the mids and sparkly in the treble. Is this just because still need "playtime" or is the sound nothing for me?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #574 of 1,506
If you've tried them three times and don't like them then I'd say the sound is just not for you.

The thing is, I'm coming from the M50's so I thought the sound would be a huge improvement, which was not the case. I just try and try to like these because they look like a godess. I just can't get myself to like the sound.

Dec 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #577 of 1,506
x2

Demoed the limited edition W3K and purchased the TH900 instead. Not necessarily a reflection on W3K, plenty like them. Potato, potahto. My regret about owning the P7 is that it came mere months after the M500 purchase and sold them at a bit of a loss... Now I know to ask or check if anything impending before spending in future :p

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #578 of 1,506
There is no one perfect sound and we don't all like the same things, that's why we have so many choices. You like what you like, simple as that.

What's worse, sometimes we don't even know what we like...
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #579 of 1,506
Wow. I missed the cable change improvement as reported earlier (swapping out the iPhone cable). I'll have to try that as I probably won't be using these very often with my IPhone. I do have a P5 for iPhone use. Wish a third party would do a high end cable though.

Dec 5, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #581 of 1,506
I tried both cables.
I couldn't justify the difference for the convenience of being able to use it for the odd call that comes through on my note 3. That was playing Chesky flacs.
If I was using a high end dap it may be more noticeable, but then why would I use the mic cable anyway

Dec 5, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #582 of 1,506
Well, I'm returning the P7s tomorrow, darn it. They fit great. Most of the time they sound great. But as I mentioned before, there is "something" in the mid-to-upper range that's occasionally unpleasant to my ears. I had said in several earlier posts that it seemed the treble was at fault on the B&Ws, however I don't think it's the treble per se. The AE2s are much brighter, but they don't reach out and punch my eardrums the way the P7s sometimes did. It's curious; more like a level of varying intensity rather than a particular frequency. Interestingly, the output is noticeably different when running them from the iPod as opposed to the Macbook Pro or the PS3 (HDMI to Pioneer receiver). I did extensive comparisons to the DT1350 and AE2 (also the DT990, but since that's a big open can it's not a fair comparison). Oddly, the P7s required more power from the Macbook Pro than the other cans. When I played them through the iPod the volume differential was not so apparent. To me, the P7s sounded better coming from the iPod, compared to the Macbook. From the Macbook, all three cans sounded "less different". Maybe I'll give the HP50s a try. Man, I hate returning stuff...

Dec 5, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #583 of 1,506
  Well, I'm returning the P7s tomorrow, darn it. They fit great. Most of the time they sound great. But as I mentioned before, there is "something" in the mid-to-upper range that's occasionally unpleasant to my ears. I had said in several earlier posts that it seemed the treble was at fault on the B&Ws, however I don't think it's the treble per se. The AE2s are much brighter, but they don't reach out and punch my eardrums the way the P7s sometimes did. It's curious; more like a level of varying intensity rather than a particular frequency. Interestingly, the output is noticeably different when running them from the iPod as opposed to the Macbook Pro or the PS3 (HDMI to Pioneer receiver). I did extensive comparisons to the DT1350 and AE2 (also the DT990, but since that's a big open can it's not a fair comparison). Oddly, the P7s required more power from the Macbook Pro than the other cans. When I played them through the iPod the volume differential was not so apparent. To me, the P7s sounded better coming from the iPod, compared to the Macbook. From the Macbook, all three cans sounded "less different". Maybe I'll give the HP50s a try. Man, I hate returning stuff...

I know what you mean.  I am generally happy with the P7 but something is not right at time.  It has a very nice soundstage but I am just drawn to the overall sound in general.  I have no problem w/ the bass.  It is more or less the highs.  I think I am okay with the mid as well.  I am now considering about returning it to the store.  I bought it from Magnolia.  Not sure what is their return policy.  It only has been 3 days.  I really like the look and build.

Dec 5, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #584 of 1,506
I couldn't justify keeping the P7 as I am not 100% content with its sound signature.  To me, it is just not musical or should I say the sound signature does not move me.  So I just returned the headphones.  I am considering putting an order for the Alpha Dog now.  But afraid that the alpha dog might be too heavy and too large for work.

Dec 5, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #585 of 1,506
I couldn't justify keeping the P7 as I am not 100% content with its sound signature.  To me, it is just not musical or should I say the sound signature does not move me.  So I just returned the headphones.  I am considering putting an order for the Alpha Dog now.  But afraid that the alpha dog might be too heavy and too large for work.

Depending on the genres of music you listen to and if you're cool with on ear headphones, you should consider trying out the KEF M500. To me it's better than P7 for vocals and rock/pop music. Plus it's $100-$150 cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back