Bowers&Wilkins P5 vs Grado SR80i vs German Maestro 8.35D
Dec 13, 2011 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

nangamu

New Head-Fier
I might need some help ordering the right present for christmas.... for me.

Right now I own a TMA-1 but I am not really happy with it. From reading reviews, I guess I do not like the phones dark side. The bass can be punchy, but often I feel it was more present or more constant. For me they just dont shine with the music I like. It might be what at times is described as natural sounding... but if this is natural, than its not for me.

On the other hand, I travel to work quite a bit every day, and they keep me good company in packed trams and on noisy streets. Noise isolation is not as good as it was with the AKG 519DJ, but decent enough. So the idea was to get a Grado SR80i for home use to make up for what I was missing in the TMA-1.

I use my iPod and a computer mainly to listen to music, since I am kind of living a nomadic life which forced me to leave my record collection, amplifier and sound system back home. This winter so I will get my amplifier back, a good old Harman/Kardon, and I plan to power the Grado SR80i with this or a portable Fiio amplifier for home use. Most time I listen to music at home in the living room - so the Harman amplifier would work well, but often I enjoy listening to music in bed - one of the reasons to get a portable amplifier to support the Grado SR80i for home use.

So question 1 and 2: how does the Grado compare to the TMA-1, and for a cheap newbie solution, would one of the Fiios, I was thinking E7 or E11, work well enough with the Grado?

Then I also got the chance to listen to the P5 - and to my ears, they sound great. Most of the music I like, TV on the Radio, The Thermals, Tool, Daft Punk - sounded better than ever before. And if I would go for the P5, I would sell the TMA-1 and use one phone only. But from what I read, the P5 is more of a headphone for portable use, meaning it is geared up to be used with a portable player, geared up to make up for low recording quality and so on - in other words, it would not really benefit from my stationary or portable amp. I am also not sure I like the cable and overall build. I travel a lot, and compared to the TMA-1 or the headphone below, I dont think they would take to traveling that well.

So the question is, how do they compare to the Grado and can anyone tell me, how well they go with a proper or portable amplifier?

Plus, while trying to make up my mind, I came about a beatiful appreciation thread for the German Maestro 8.35D. Ugly as the night. Super hot in summer. But somehow they got my attention, also becuse they would almost be the cheapest option and I read a lot about them sounding like much more expensive phones. With them, I woul also sell the TMA-1 and just drive the GM with a portable amplifier or my stionary one at home. The question here, how do they compare soundwise to the TMA-1, P5 and Grado? And which portable amplifier would go well. Pls remember I am aiming for a beginners amp, nothing too expensive.

So to sum it up, I guess its TMA-1 mobile with Grado SR80i for home use, or P5 or GM 8.35 for home and mobile. Where the GM would be the choice for its price, the P5 would be the choice for sound, as far as I can compare. Thats why I would really like to hear you opinion on P5 vs Grado vs GM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back