Bowers & Wilkins P5 , cable replacement
Feb 20, 2012 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Twilight Dawn

New Head-Fier
Hej guys, 

I recently bought the B&W P5, this is my first headphone EVER , and I don't really like the cable that came with it...

It's replaceable so do you know where you can buy good and cool cables ? with a mic and volume thing on it ?

THHANKSS 

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #3 of 15
Feb 21, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 15
WHAT ?! The cable costs more then the headphones itself :s ... 

Over the top pricing FOR SURE ! :s 

Isn't it possible to buy ANY normal priced well functioning cables (for like 20€) ? even if it isn't especially made for the P5 ?

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 15
What don't you like about the cable that came with it?

Normally replacement cables like this are going to be custom made or made in small batches. They're also meant to improve audio quality which means expensive materials and/or construction.

I've also never seen custom replacement cables with the iPod remote/mic.

The problem is that the P5 doesn't use a standard connector on the one end that connects to the headphone, so doubt you'll find anything that works like you want.

Mar 19, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 15
As this appears to be the only thread thus far on the subject, let me add this for those searching..

Ive been looking as well, refuse to pay above prices and do not wish to completely make one of my own..

On the famous auction website, there is a seller called "sunricky" (*no affiliation whatsoever*)

For the AKG K450 K480 and Q460 ..  4 braided silver plated wires, gold connectors. They call it the "White Angel"..(perform a search)

It is $40 ..which is very reasonable. Would this not work, even if a bit of coaxing is required?

The connector on the other end may need to be modified or replaced, nevertheless, a good deal for a custom cable in my limited experience.

I don't know if that outer sheath on the 2.5mm end will need to be removed, and also it is a 3 phase end, not a two phase as on the P5 as the AKG headphones above are sound canceling and I believe it has to do with this..it may be simply ignored and still be usable... or again, the entire jack simply replaced.

Nevertheless, the cable gauge is about the same as the P5 and I feel confident going for it.....thoughts?

Preparing as I await the P5...Im still thinking...will update if I choose to go that route which I very well may...

There ARE also other cables made for MP3 use I have fond available that are the same type as that which come with the P%, flimsy and simple, with the elusive 3.5 to 2.5mm ends, gold plated, at 60-70cm which can be had for a song if i a bind.

Sennheiser has one that would be ideal (if a non custom option is what yo want) for, I believe, the HD 200 (an older model apparently) ...though it seems only to be available at 6ft length.

Most of these sellers seem to be from HongKong. Sometimes one needs to perform a search on eb@y.uk or eb@ay.de as they do not list directly on the US site. I seem to have gone the gamut with most of them asking questions, and they all were very genuine, helpful, responded to questions immediately, and shipped internationally. For some reason, some were not listed on the US site. (These were all the generic MP3  2.5 to 3.5mm cables at about 60-70cm length)

Anyway, that's all I know..

Thoughts appreciated. Hope others can contribute to this and it's helpful to someone.

I need to research more, but will update should I go this route or with what I choose (fwiw).

Best

$%28KGrHqZ,%21p4E8Wqqb0BUBPPcrH%21m0Q%7E%7E60_12.JPG

Jun 7, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #8 of 15
Hi Demian,

Just to follow-up on your above post, did you go for the 'White-Angel' cable from Sunricky?

I have the P5s with the stock cable, and i'm really interested in an upgrade. 

If you went with it, was there an increase in clarity?  Any mods required?

Feedback appreciate.

Thanks,

Paul.

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #11 of 15
I don't wanna disappoint you mate, but where I'm at currently (S. Korea) you can get any replacement audio cables for as low as 1$ USD. Obviously they are just standard audio cables... For audiophiles, you would not want to put them on mid high-end headphones but if you are just looking for replacement, see if you have any friends over in Korea to send some over. 

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #12 of 15
Hey Simon! I'm experiencing the same problem as some of these guys.. The line with the mic and volume adjustment has gone whack and I misplaced the other cord. Trying to look for a replacement cord for these guys. Preferably one that can live up to the P5's performance or even more.. I'm also in South Korea. Any recommends?

May 1, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Hey Simon! I'm experiencing the same problem as some of these guys.. The line with the mic and volume adjustment has gone whack and I misplaced the other cord. Trying to look for a replacement cord for these guys. Preferably one that can live up to the P5's performance or even more.. I'm also in South Korea. Any recommends?

http://bit.ly/105KpwW Available with Mic and Volume control for iOS.

Nov 21, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #14 of 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back