Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Sep 20, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #1,981 of 2,022
As far as I understand, this was not part of the early deliveries but came later as Apple removed the 3,5mm jack.
Can be purchased from B&W.

A USB-C option - not sure.

That’s correct. I bought my P9 at launch and had to wait more than a year before they sent me lightning cable after multiple delays. While it’s great but p9 scale tremendously with the right chain. I have tried them with some insane chains and these drivers have a high ceiling.

Sep 23, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #1,982 of 2,022
Oct 18, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #1,983 of 2,022
I've got to say I still think these are the best value headphone on the used market. I saw a pair go on the ebay UK marketplace for 250.

I've got HD6XX knocking about at the moment, and I do think these present some big technical gains in staging and detail over those, for the same price, and closed back to boot. Don't let go of your P9s guys I don't think a portable headphone like this is coming anytime soon with the bluetooth obsession....

Oct 18, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #1,984 of 2,022
I've got to say I still think these are the best value headphone on the used market. I saw a pair go on the ebay UK marketplace for 250.

I've got HD6XX knocking about at the moment, and I do think these present some big technical gains in staging and detail over those, for the same price, and closed back to boot. Don't let go of your P9s guys I don't think a portable headphone like this is coming anytime soon with the bluetooth obsession....
I used to have the HD 650 for years before selling them after I got the P9. I felt the P9 were technically superior in many ways. The separation and the detail retrieval are amazing for closed backs. And I always still appreciate the build quality and materials used, which to this day are still ahead of its time.

These last few weeks I had been throwing the idea around of getting the 6XX again because of some good pricing, but I keep going back to why I got rid of them in the first place. Reminds me I still need to get a pair of P9 replacement pads from B&W as they’re still available.

Oct 18, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #1,985 of 2,022
I used to have the HD 650 for years before selling them after I got the P9. I felt the P9 were technically superior in many ways. The separation and the detail retrieval are amazing for closed backs. And I always still appreciate the build quality and materials used, which to this day are still ahead of its time.

These last few weeks I had been throwing the idea around of getting the 6XX again because of some good pricing, but I keep going back to why I got rid of them in the first place. Reminds me I still need to get a pair of P9 replacement pads from B&W as they’re still available.
For sure. I've been using HD6XX for 3 weeks exclusively as my home headphone, then switching to P9 I immediately felt far more immersed and blown over by the music. It's nice to do a reset sometimes lol, but it's also noticeable to see what i was missing. I don't think the HD6XX has much point with P9 in the game, ill likely sell it or leave it for guitar only.

Nov 18, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #1,986 of 2,022
Hi there. Hoping I could get some help regarding accessories.

1. Regarding the cables, I am having difficulties finding replacements. The local dealer just changed a year or so ago and do not seem to have stock for accessories of B&W's earlier headphones. I am aware that there are a some shops in Europe that might have stock but sadly there isn't one shop which stocks all the accessories that I'm looking at so shipping will add up. I do see options closer to me, but they only seem to offer aftermarket cables with the 2.5mm end terminating in 4-pin and not 3-pin. Weirdly, it's a 3-pin 3.5mm jack on one end and a 4-pin 2.5mm on the other. Would anyone know if this would work as a replacement cable? Would using different jacks (Plugging the 4-pin jack into the 3-pin plug of the P9) cause long-term any damage?

2. Regarding replacement earpads, would it be advisable to stock up on a spare set? I'm worried that if I were to get one now, the glue may leak by the time I get round to needing them. On the other hand, if I were to wait till when I need a replacement, there might not be any left. Again, the local dealer does not appear to have stock so I'd need to find an official part somewhere out there. Don't think there are any aftermarket ones that work.

The points above actually applies to both the P7 and P9. I do not wish to post in both threads and clogging up the forum. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am aware that there is a website that appears to be dedicated to B&W parts, Encompass Parts, which I used to be able to access whilst I was in the UK. I somehow can't seem to be able to access it anymore so I can't check if they have all of what I need. Perhaps it's region-restricted.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #1,987 of 2,022

1. Regarding the cables, I am having difficulties finding replacements. The local dealer just changed a year or so ago and do not seem to have stock for accessories of B&W's earlier headphones. I am aware that there are a some shops in Europe that might have stock but sadly there isn't one shop which stocks all the accessories that I'm looking at so shipping will add up. I do see options closer to me, but they only seem to offer aftermarket cables with the 2.5mm end terminating in 4-pin and not 3-pin. Weirdly, it's a 3-pin 3.5mm jack on one end and a 4-pin 2.5mm on the other. Would anyone know if this would work as a replacement cable? Would using different jacks (Plugging the 4-pin jack into the 3-pin plug of the P9) cause long-term any damage?

2. Regarding replacement earpads, would it be advisable to stock up on a spare set? I'm worried that if I were to get one now, the glue may leak by the time I get round to needing them. On the other hand, if I were to wait till when I need a replacement, there might not be any left. Again, the local dealer does not appear to have stock so I'd need to find an official part somewhere out there. Don't think there are any aftermarket ones that work.

The points above actually applies to both the P7 and P9. I do not wish to post in both threads and clogging up the forum. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am aware that there is a website that appears to be dedicated to B&W parts, Encompass Parts, which I used to be able to access whilst I was in the UK. I somehow can't seem to be able to access it anymore so I can't check if they have all of what I need. Perhaps it's region-restricted.

Nov 19, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #1,989 of 2,022
Try AliExpress (Google it) and search ’bowers Wilkins P9’. They have OEM cables and accessories that are very inexpensive.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I’ve seen that and also looked at similar sites.

For the 3.5mm-ended cables, the 2.5mm end is a 4-pin jack whereas on the stock cables, it terminates with a 3-pin jack. So I was just wondering if using hem would damage my headphones.

As for ear pads, the afermarket replacements available look really deformed. Either that or I’ve even seen one where apparently the buyer has to cannibalise their old ear pad base and somehow stick on the “replacement” so as to get it to fit. Thank goodness I noticed that before ordering.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #1,990 of 2,022

Hi, send me a PM (private message) if you want, maybe I can be of some help :)

Nov 20, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #1,991 of 2,022
Been listening to my P9 exclusively the last few weeks and been realizing again just how good these are after being distracted the last few years by wireless headphones. These are just so inviting and rich sounding. They offer this huge sound signature that bests the PX8 by a pretty long ways and are only dwarfed in this department by the Sony Mdr-z1r. It’s my favorite part about the P9 next to the build quality.

I got a pair of the new AirPods Pro to trial and after listening to them for about 5 songs, I put them back in the box to return them. In-ears and small headphones just sound tinny in comparison.

Nov 20, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #1,992 of 2,022
I actually grabbed a pair of these randomly a few weeks ago. Needless impulse purchase. Have been quite impressed with them overall - think they've been somewhat unfairly maligned in certain circles and they do trade blows with various closed backs under/around 1k mark. Vs the Radiance for example the mids are richer and better timbre. Extremely dynamic too. Really like them for indie and rock. Can get a bit too intense with some music at times perhaps (mostly stuff that is already bass-heavy).

Considering selling them on now though, as I got the Elite over the weekend and quite keen to pare down the collection and recoup funds. Hmu if you're particularly interested in a set of these...!

Nov 20, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #1,993 of 2,022
Been listening to my P9 exclusively the last few weeks and been realizing again just how good these are after being distracted the last few years by wireless headphones. These are just so inviting and rich sounding. They offer this huge sound signature that bests the PX8 by a pretty long ways and are only dwarfed in this department by the Sony Mdr-z1r. It’s my favorite part about the P9 next to the build quality.

I got a pair of the new AirPods Pro to trial and after listening to them for about 5 songs, I put them back in the box to return them. In-ears and small headphones just sound tinny in comparison.
I definitely don't expect AirPods Pro to sound like the P9, and I dislike IEM's in general when compared to over-ear headphones, but the AirPods Pro when properly sealed in your ears can sound quite deliciously deep and full. I had to use the larger tips to get that experience, though.

But, I'm not using them when I'm sitting at my desk and have the P9's... :L3000:

Nov 20, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #1,994 of 2,022
I know this sounds crazy, but is there a third party carry, hard case, that works well with the P9. I love the looks. And design of the stock case, but want more protection for travel. Also the stock case is too pretty to grime up! :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #1,995 of 2,022
I know this sounds crazy, but is there a third party carry, hard case, that works well with the P9. I love the looks. And design of the stock case, but want more protection for travel. Also the stock case is too pretty to grime up! :ksc75smile:
Hi Jazz1. Not sure about your preference but I do not like to fold my headphones while storing/transporting. I use the Slappa Hardbody Pro. Mine fits rather snuggly (might differ individually based on how stretched the headband is). Just note that the case is rather large, though I have travelled with this case. I see them still being sold on Amazon for $20.

Alternatively, I’ve seen a previous post by ledzep back on 25 April 2023 in this thread where they used a case from Beyerdynamic.

Attachments

• IMG_3415.jpeg
    IMG_3415.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3416.jpeg
    IMG_3416.jpeg
    920 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back