Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Mar 16, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #1,082 of 2,022
You don't believe in 24-bit audio? Really?

Not really, but of course I could be wrong. I certainly haven't been able to hear a difference, but I also haven't really tested it extensively either.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #1,083 of 2,022
Mar 16, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #1,087 of 2,022
  Sound is too subjective to give any meaningful impressions in my opinion. You should only trust real measurements.

LOL. Thank you Julian Hirsch.

Wow, I thought these sort of dinosaur-era "facts" went out of fashion, along with Stereo Review, in the late 70's?

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #1,088 of 2,022

So you are saying your impressions of them being the same are correct, but others who don't agree with you are false? Interesting.

I haven't said any impressions. I only care about facts. If you look at my posts you can see I haven't said a single thing about how I think they sound.

Sound is too subjective to give any meaningful impressions in my opinion. You should only trust real measurements. If B&W have said the drivers are the same AND measurements confirm they charts are the same then there's not really much room to discuss if they sound different.

This guy must be trolling. 

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #1,089 of 2,022

I was thinking the same thing. Not sure why I bothered to respond.

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #1,090 of 2,022
I heard the p9 last week out of mojo and while there was some bloat in the lower registers I hardly think there's too much bass. Not elevated enough to sound bad tonally by any means. the imaging lends more to a portable headphone with large imaging for a portable to me. The bass is no different in how it displays itself which is actually rather small in size when compared to most full sized closed back headphones. There were times when you could definitely hear some bleeding though even though b&w think they did a sneaky job of covering it up.

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #1,091 of 2,022
I heard the p9 last week out of mojo and while there was some bloat in the lower registers I hardly think there's too much bass. Not elevated enough to sound bad tonally by any means. the imaging lends more to a portable headphone with large imaging for a portable to me. The bass is no different in how it displays itself which is actually rather small in size when compared to most full sized closed back headphones. There were times when you could definitely hear some bleeding though even though b&w think they did a sneaky job of covering it up.
P9 with Hugo sounds much much better than the Mojo.

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #1,092 of 2,022
I bet! I absolutely can't stand mojo out of iPhone and feel it opens up more via USB from computer or to slink. Once I sell these speakers I'll be ordering a hugo2 and will def go and do another audition.

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #1,093 of 2,022
  Thanks! I'm not trying to be intentionally mean. I apologize if I have come off as too blunt.
I want people to think more about facts rather than just subjective impressions. Hopefully they send you some tangible proof.

So I kept digging and definitely one of the support people we were talking to was incorrect. Remember how I suggested to you that the person in the UK you spoke with could have been wrong, well he wasn't! It turns out that the support person I spoke with, and at length I might add, was wrong. So I forced them to contact the UK support to get things clarified for me as I don't like having misinformation either. So when I was speaking with the US support guy just now I asked him how he could have been that wrong. He went on at length in our previous call about the all new design in the wireless version. Hard to believe that somebody in dedicated headphone support for them could be so clueless.

So there you have it, I'm not afraid to eat crow in public (although it does taste a little nasty) and admit that I had incorrect information. I still don't feel foolish as you should be able to count on the information you get from the company itself, but be that as it may, it was incorrect information. Apparently in the US office a few of the support team may have been passing along this false information so at the least our discussion here has resulted in them learning something and the misinformation will stop here (or so I hope).

The headphones do indeed sound different due to the integrated amp and DAC and perhaps the new cushions, but there certainly won't be any sound differences from the driver design. Cheers.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #1,094 of 2,022
So I kept digging and definitely one of the support people we were talking to was incorrect. Remember how I suggested to you that the person in the UK you spoke with could have been wrong, well he wasn't! It turns out that the support person I spoke with, and at length I might add, was wrong. So I forced them to contact the UK support to get things clarified for me as I don't like having misinformation either. So when I was speaking with the US support guy just now I asked him how he could have been that wrong. He went on at length in our previous call about the all new design in the wireless version. Hard to believe that somebody in dedicated headphone support for them could be so clueless.

So there you have it, I'm not afraid to eat crow in public (although it does taste a little nasty) and admit that I had incorrect information. I still don't feel foolish as you should be able to count on the information you get from the company itself, but be that as it may, it was incorrect information. Apparently in the US office a few of the support team may have been passing along this false information so at the least our discussion here has resulted in them learning something and the misinformation will stop here (or so I hope).

The headphones do indeed sound different due to the integrated amp and DAC and perhaps the new cushions, but there certainly won't be any sound differences from the driver design. Cheers.

Good on you for being so dignified with your mistake. We will all benefit from this info going forward. I've been following your posts for a while and have always found your comments to be truthful and authentic.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #1,095 of 2,022

The integrated amp and DAC are only in play when using the wireless connection, yes?  Otherwise I'd expect it all to be coming analog and amplified from the source, yes?

I'm looking forward to the Lightning/DAC for my P9s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back