Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Mar 5, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #1,051 of 2,022
  I'm almost afraid to ask, but is the p7w much better than the original p7 wired? I own the p9 and wired p7's and prefer the (admittedly boomy) p9 sound.

The P7W is almost the same to the original P7 in terms of materials. Drivers are the same in both headphones. The only difference is the material used is ear cushions which now use the same memory foam they use in P5 series.
It affects the sound very little. You can see the measurements on innerfidelity and they're very much identical in terms of sound.

Mar 5, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #1,052 of 2,022

The P7W is almost the same to the original P7 in terms of materials. Drivers are the same in both headphones. The only difference is the material used is ear cushions which now use the same memory foam they use in P5 series.
It affects the sound very little. You can see the measurements on innerfidelity and they're very much identical in terms of sound.

I have to politely disagree. I think the P7W sound MUCH better than the P7 but sound is so personal I guess.

Mar 5, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #1,053 of 2,022
  I have to politely disagree. I think the P7W sound MUCH better than the P7 but sound is so personal I guess.

Sure, sound is a personal preference, but it's not really open to debate if it sounds different or the same as the measurements don't really care for opinions and they aren't subject to human hearing's limitations.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #1,054 of 2,022
  I have a DFR on order and am very curious if it will be money well spent paired with my P9's. I have never owed any Sony's and probably never will, why am I snobby against them I don't know.  :)

Shame that you have closed your mind to Sony for no apparent reason? The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it is open.
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #1,055 of 2,022
Mar 16, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #1,056 of 2,022

The drivers are not the same. I called B&W directly and they told me the P7W has an all new driver design as well as the ear cushions. I tried the P7 wired at the store the same day I purchased the P7 wireless and I thought the wireless sounded noticeably better, particularly the layering and control of the low frequencies. 

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #1,058 of 2,022

I'll show you my crumbling (literally) Sony PS4 headset and controllers and you can tell me if I'm joking.

That isn't at all representative of their audio headphones please. Come and hold my Z1R and tell me they don't make premium builds. Sorry if I sound harsh, but your statement earlier was really black and white.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #1,059 of 2,022
I'm far from a Sony fanboy, but I also owned an MDR 1A and a Z7, both of which also had rather nice build quality and felt great to wear.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #1,060 of 2,022
  That isn't at all representative of their audio headphones please. Come and hold my Z1R and tell me they don't make premium builds. Sorry if I sound harsh, but your statement earlier was really black and white.

Great, so if I want a pair of Sonys without 6-month self-destructing plastic, I can get a pair of $2,000 Z1Rs. Good to know.

I used to love Sony stuff, but their consumer-grade gear is crap compared to what it used to be. I would happily compare the build quality of my $400 B&W headphones to anything Sony puts out in that price range. And the B&W would win handily.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #1,061 of 2,022

Great, so if I want a pair of Sonys without 6-month self-destructing plastic, I can get a pair of $2,000 Z1Rs. Good to know.

I used to love Sony stuff, but their consumer-grade gear is crap compared to what it used to be. I would happily compare the build quality of my $400 B&W headphones to anything Sony puts out in that price range. And the B&W would win handily.

This is a P9 thread so i don't mind saying that IMHO Sony sucks as a general rule. Sorry if that annoys anyone.  :) Oh ya once last thing..... Sony sucks. 

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #1,062 of 2,022
Wow rather mature behaviour. Moving on.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #1,063 of 2,022
  This is a P9 thread so i don't mind saying that IMHO Sony sucks as a general rule. Sorry if that annoys anyone.  :) Oh ya once last thing..... Sony sucks. 

Oh and in the Z1R thread, we have no problem discussing other headphones, part of the community thing.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #1,064 of 2,022

I owned the P7W and agree, it is very well made, but so are some comparably priced Sony headphones. It isn't a competition, nor is it either or.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #1,065 of 2,022
  The drivers are not the same. I called B&W directly and they told me the P7W has an all new driver design as well as the ear cushions. I tried the P7 wired at the store the same day I purchased the P7 wireless and I thought the wireless sounded noticeably better, particularly the layering and control of the low frequencies. 

I emailed their UK head office and they confirmed the drivers are exactly the same as in wired model. And since the frequency charts look the same too, you can take a gander at which one of us is correct.

There's too much snake oil being sold/told on these forums... People should try to stay more objective in their "impressions".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back