Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Jan 17, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #902 of 2,023

Ah cool, the PT Shift here in canada are 299 CAD so around 188 GBP.
DF Red is a good option.

I'd love to get the mojo but I can't justify it. As i'm only paying half price for the P9s, I can't bring myself to pay more for an amp.
We get ripped off as it is here, and now Brexit is giving us the finger just to make sure everything is even more expensive thanks to the depreciation of the pound. On the plus side, at least Trump wants to do a trade deal with us :wink:

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #903 of 2,023
I can't find it on sale in the UK (always the way...). An article from its launch said it's £299.... The same price in pounds as dollars. I don't like companies who do that so I'll stick to the DF red most likely. Thanks anyway. I just need to get the damn headphones now! Can't do much without them. My P7s have served me well for 3 years but it's time to move on :p

Not sure what your issue with the pricing may be as I'm not following pricing closely but I know many from the U.K. are not aware that USA pricing does not include taxes while U.K. prices does include taxes. So our correct price is actually $XXX.XX plus taxes.

If you subtract your VAT from the price of the item and then convert to USD then you'll be able to compare pricing properly.

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #904 of 2,023
Not sure what your issue with the pricing may be as I'm not following pricing closely but I know many from the U.K. are not aware that USA pricing does not include taxes while U.K. prices does include taxes. So our correct price is actually $XXX.XX plus taxes.

If you subtract your VAT from the price of the item and then convert to USD then you'll be able to compare pricing properly.

I know that, I've been to America 5 or 6 times. Everything is still miles cheaper, or at least it was before the pound tanked.

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #905 of 2,023
So now coming close to a month with my P9s and ultimately curious how a DAC/Amp will change things for me......thinking of either going with an Oppa HA-2 or the DragonFly Red of which either would be ordered via Amazon. Since I have no way of testing either (going based on reviews and feedback) will the Oppo HA-2s justify the price difference? For me price is not so much a concern, but don't want to pay more if not needed. I use my P9s 99% of the time with my iPhone7.

Also let me ask for feedback......since Ive never experience a DAC/Amp and curious what that'll be like, would plugging my P9s into my home stereo Dennon AV Surround Receiver give me a proper preview of what I'll experience with the DAC/Amp?

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #906 of 2,023
  So now coming close to a month with my P9s and ultimately curious how a DAC/Amp will change things for me......thinking of either going with an Oppa HA-2 or the DragonFly Red of which either would be ordered via Amazon. Since I have no way of testing either (going based on reviews and feedback) will the Oppo HA-2s justify the price difference? For me price is not so much a concern, but don't want to pay more if not needed. I use my P9s 99% of the time with my iPhone7.

Also let me ask for feedback......since Ive never experience a DAC/Amp and curious what that'll be like, would plugging my P9s into my home stereo Dennon AV Surround Receiver give me a proper preview of what I'll experience with the DAC/Amp?

The Oppo HA2 would likely sound somewhat better, the DF red is more portable.

Plugging in to a Surround AV would likely sound pretty bad. 
At least in my experience when plugging in to my Marantz AV SR receiver it sounds really mediocre for music.  Not sure if the DACs in these are crappy or the amp is more designed for movies. In surround mode it sounds great, in stereo not.

Plugging in to the headphone out of the Marantz NA player is a good test if you have access to something like that.

Jan 18, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #907 of 2,023

The Oppo HA2 would likely sound somewhat better, the DF red is more portable.

Plugging in to a Surround AV would likely sound pretty bad. 
At least in my experience when plugging in to my Marantz AV SR receiver it sounds really mediocre for music.  Not sure if the DACs in these are crappy or the amp is more designed for movies. In surround mode it sounds great, in stereo not.

Plugging in to the headphone out of the Marantz NA player is a good test if you have access to something like that.

Thanks VD, thats exactly what I found out, my P9s hooked with my AV receiver did not sound good at all.

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #908 of 2,023
Finally getting some time to do some A/B comparisons with my Sony Z7's.  My P9's are only a day old, FWIW.

The Z7 is much lighter and leagues more comfortable.  That's where its advantages end.  The P9 is just much more musical.  Bass has far more impact while not being overpowering.  Vocals are much more forward.  Details seem more crisp.  I just like the entire sound much better.  I am just finding that the headband and the ear pads are a bit stiff and the clamping for is much higher.  Portability goes to the P9's obviously as the Z7 doesn't fold and the cups are thicker front to back.  The Sony's look pretty cool, but to me the P9 is in a league of it's own in terms of looks.  The details are amazing.  I love the isolation between the bands and the cups.  I'm an engineer, so things like that impress me.  Still haven't received any complaints from coworkers about leakage and I sit in a cube farm.  I have held back the volume a tad compared to what I used to do with my Z7's probably.

All in all I'm very impressed by the P9's and hoping I can get enough from my Z7, P7 and MM400's to pay for the P9's. :D

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #909 of 2,023
  Finally getting some time to do some A/B comparisons with my Sony Z7's.  My P9's are only a day old, FWIW.

The Z7 is much lighter and leagues more comfortable.  That's where its advantages end.  The P9 is just much more musical.  Bass has far more impact while not being overpowering.  Vocals are much more forward.  Details seem more crisp.  I just like the entire sound much better.  I am just finding that the headband and the ear pads are a bit stiff and the clamping for is much higher.  Portability goes to the P9's obviously as the Z7 doesn't fold and the cups are thicker front to back.  The Sony's look pretty cool, but to me the P9 is in a league of it's own in terms of looks.  The details are amazing.  I love the isolation between the bands and the cups.  I'm an engineer, so things like that impress me.  Still haven't received any complaints from coworkers about leakage and I sit in a cube farm.  I have held back the volume a tad compared to what I used to do with my Z7's probably.

All in all I'm very impressed by the P9's and hoping I can get enough from my Z7, P7 and MM400's to pay for the P9's. :D

blink.gif
 Yikes! And I thought the Z7's were bass monsters.

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #910 of 2,023
Jan 19, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #911 of 2,023

The Z7 is much lighter and leagues more comfortable.  That's where its advantages end.  The P9 is just much more musical.  Bass has far more impact while not being overpowering.  Vocals are much more forward.  Details seem more crisp.  I just like the entire sound much better.  I am just finding that the headband and the ear pads are a bit stiff and the clamping for is much higher.  

I found the P9 to get more comfortable over time.  The stiff cups loosen up a bit or mold to your head better, and they overall get more comfortable after a fair amount of use.

HTH

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #912 of 2,023
Anyone compared P9 with Elear?

Jan 19, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #913 of 2,023
Anyone compared P9 with Elear?
very good Question..own both. The upper frequency on the p9s is sublime with a wider soundstage in my opinion.Even switching cable to a balanced high quality pure silver still sounds veil compared to the stock cable on the p9s..
People comment favorably on the cosmetic beauty of the p9s...
Guess what I grew up in the 70s..can relate to the retro look of the p9s..must say I'm not blown away by it.
I think black on silver is much more attractive to me..purely subjective though.

Jan 19, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #914 of 2,023
  I found the P9 to get more comfortable over time.  The stiff cups loosen up a bit or mold to your head better, and they overall get more comfortable after a fair amount of use.

HTH

That's good to hear.  Thanks.

After a few more A/B's I put the Z7's back in their box.  I'll pull out the Z7, P7, MM400's and compare them all when I get time and then probably sell the other 3.  These things are just so smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back