Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Jan 14, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #871 of 2,022
Are there any good desktop amps for the P9 that are $250 tops which anyone can recommend? I've got a macbook pro which is apparently ok/half decent from what I've gathered but obviously not anything special. Just curious what you experts think :wink:

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #872 of 2,022
Jan 14, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #874 of 2,022
You could do with a stack of schitt

Modi2 DAC + Magni2 Amp

Or alternatively

the Micca Origen + Dac Amp

Both are able to drive the p9 comfortably

Those are lovely and cheap. I said dollars because everyone knows the value but the problem is I'm in the UK so have to find them here or get them shipped which is a pain. I'm an absolute noob so how do you connect the modi2 and magni2 to each other and a laptop? Usb from laptop to the dac, then L and R ports to connect to the amp?

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #876 of 2,022
Maybe audition the Chord Mojo here? I plan to in Swiss Cotage
Indoors the Mojo did well with the P9. Outdoors not.

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #877 of 2,022
Those are lovely and cheap. I said dollars because everyone knows the value but the problem is I'm in the UK so have to find them here or get them shipped which is a pain. I'm an absolute noob so how do you connect the modi2 and magni2 to each other and a laptop? Usb from laptop to the dac, then L and R ports to connect to the amp?

This is their official UK seller

http://schiit.eu.com/

Used them several times - no problems :)

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #880 of 2,022
Anyone tested the sony mdr z1r flagship against p9?

I will head to head soon as I can borrow the P9 and I own the Z1R. I have already heard the P9 (but not enough) and I can already say with some certainty that the Z1R is likely to come out ahead on most measures, but that is certainly subject to preference and not an absolute. I do think the P9 may have the edge in treble which is quite important and I look forward to giving it a good audition. It may be a few weeks so I'm not sure if that time frame is helpful to you or not, but I will update in this thread.

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #882 of 2,022
I will head to head soon as I can borrow the P9 and I own the Z1R. I have already heard the P9 (but not enough) and I can already say with some certainty that the Z1R is likely to come out ahead on most measures, but that is certainly subject to preference and not an absolute. I do think the P9 may have the edge in treble which is quite important and I look forward to giving it a good audition. It may be a few weeks so I'm not sure if that time frame is helpful to you or not, but I will update in this thread.

Tnx for answer.I was currious about how the p9s helds against the z1r.the z1r are over twice the price of the p9s.I enjoy the p9s.But they can be a little boomy sometimes.I also have the focal elears.The elears are very detailed.But for me they lacks a little bass and warmth.The p9s have bass and warmth,but lacks some details in the music.Maybe the z1r will have the best from both p9s and elear?

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #883 of 2,022
Tnx for answer.I was currious about how the p9s helds against the z1r.the z1r are over twice the price of the p9s.I enjoy the p9s.But they can be a little boomy sometimes.I also have the focal elears.The elears are very detailed.But for me they lacks a little bass and warmth.The p9s have bass and warmth,but lacks some details in the music.Maybe the z1r will have the best from both p9s and elear?

Dont think there will be any new headphone for me for a while (only if i win the lottery :joy::joy::joy:) But looking forward to hear your comparisson.If the z1r are much better,i might sell some head gear later,and save some money to get the z1r.The headphone that have impressed me the most last year was the audeze sine.It sounds absolutly fantastic.But it is not the most comfortable. :grinning:

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #884 of 2,022
I have listen to these songs in FLAC and DSD formats using P9 with Micro IFI set (idsd, ican SE, itude, and iUSB 3), and songs as listed after P9 has been played for over 100 hours as advised by good man in this forum page. Greatly appreciated it much by learning from all of you.

Songs
1. Peter Gabriel (So) - Shock the monkey (Live) in 24/192 FLAC
2. Michael Jackson - Black or White in 24/192 FLAC
3. Alphaville - A victory of love in 24/192 FLAC

4. Keith Greeninger - Hop in the truck - DSD64
5. Keith Greeninger - Jimmy and the crows - DSD128
6. Keith Greeninger - Looking for a home - DSD 256

All songs are my preference of genre, with this combination setup for listening with P9 are perfectly shine to me, truly waxing my ear. All musical details are clear and bass is full and force to it point, unlike when it was first out from its box. And I am very delighted with its result. Cheers... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back