Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
May 2, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #1,217 of 2,022
I absolutely love the sound of the p7w. Bought it a few days ago, instantly fell in love with the sound.

I love how vocals and acoustics sound on them plus that seperation and detail with that rich weighty sound.

Do the P9 sound similar?

May 2, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #1,218 of 2,022
P7 and hugo.

May 2, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #1,219 of 2,022
May 2, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #1,220 of 2,022
P7 with Hugo is a great combination. But the P7 sounds great with a dap but a big issue with the P9 is its mid bass.

May 2, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #1,221 of 2,022
I really loved the P7W - might even come back to it again. I briefly had a P9 here however I did not feel that it differentiated itself enough from the P7. That combined with the extra bonus of the P7 being wireless led me to believe that it was the better choice between the two

May 3, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #1,223 of 2,022
Anyone want to give B&W a call and see when the lightning cable is coming out? I'm getting tired of asking them - first March- then April - it's already May. They say that it is finished and in final testing.

May 10, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #1,224 of 2,022
Anyone want to give B&W a call and see when the lightning cable is coming out? I'm getting tired of asking them - first March- then April - it's already May. They say that it is finished and in final testing.

They're probably waiting for Apple to announce the iPhone 8 with USB-C... :ksc75smile:

May 10, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #1,225 of 2,022
They're probably waiting for Apple to announce the iPhone 8 with USB-C... :ksc75smile:

There is of course that, but I find it difficult to believe that Apple would drop the proprietary Lightning connector for a standard that they have no control over. They earn a lot of money from the MFi program.

Which leads me nicely into the next bit as to why the Lightning cable from B&W has been delayed. The problem with MFi Lightning devices is that the cable terminator (Lightning plug) plus the authentication chip have to be bought from Apple, and supplies are often, if not always, in constraint for all but Apple themselves and preferred partners.

I would wager that the delay is not B&Ws fault, but rather Apple's reluctance to do anything more than drip feed those components to B&W.

May 10, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #1,226 of 2,022
That is not the reason. I have spoken several times with B&W. The cable has been in the demoing and testing phase last I spoke with them. Nothing mentioned about MFi delays.

I think it is in Apple's interest to deliver authentication chips as often and frequently as possible - they make money off of them. No delivery=no money

May 19, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #1,228 of 2,022
Anyone stripped the P9's down yet, wanting to re cable to balanced.

I don't think that would be a particularly easy thing to do much as I'd love to. It really really really annoys me that B&W deliberately (cause it was deliberate) chose to make it impossible for everyone but the Tony Stark genius' with home labs out there to make custom mods to their expensive headgear.
I don't think it will even be possible to get a cable upgrade to plug into the 2.5mm jack on left hand ear cup because of the molded design. It makes me very annoyed. Did I say that? It's something you'd expect of Apple and Bose but not B&W and definitely not on a signature product!
I'm sure you've taken off the ear cups and checked it out for yourself. I love the magnetic fastening. I just wish they'd made them balanced with the socket interface on the outside or if on the inside with a straight plug, not a bespoke curved one!
Can't imagine they'd be many willing to potentially wreck their P9's in this pursuit. I would love to see a strip down video though.
Perhaps if their is enough of us we could all chip into a fund to buy a pair and the "Tony Stark" of the forum can work their magic. Does he/she exist and is their the will to make it happen?

Edited for typos and clarity.

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #1,229 of 2,022
Did do a pair of P7'S today , with a 3.8mm quadcord lead by removing the 2.5mm female and wiring direct to the left speaker and the wire that feeds through to the right side. Applied a piece of shrink wrap to the wire just inside the bend in the left cup to secure in place , black paracord on cable and a 4.4mm trrrs for the termination ..... Hey presto sweet balanced goodness on the Bowers and yes it does make difference from my Sony WM1A player. Now the question is are the P9's basically wired same ? Removable cup single 2.5mm female socket , looks like it well could be ! I will have a think this weekend on screwing up my warranty and getting these beauties open !

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #1,230 of 2,022
As far as i can tell you can open them via 3 screws.
On on each side below the metal part that holds the foam pad. And one just left of the cable entry point, in the first part of the S made by the cable.

Edit: A fourth may be under the harder top part (but can't find it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back