Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Mar 25, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #1,771 of 2,022
Keep in mind that B&W is a speaker company first and foremost and the signature of the P9 was likely designed to simulate the sound of a big pair of speakers in a moderate sized room. You would notice a solid present bass in that sort of situation.
For sure, and I like that about their tuning, very much. As you know I am a fan of when speaker companies craft really good headphones. Even with speakers; however, sometimes their tuning and design will have issues with particular recordings and that was the only thing that I noticed about the P9, and even then not at all consistently, and that was that the bass could be too much on occasion. Again, fortunately it wasn't common and the other excellent sonic attributes that the P9 exhibited were definitely a moderating factor.

Mar 25, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #1,772 of 2,022
Good points, so even a neutrally tuned bass will never stay neutral with varying recordings. Perhaps a speaker manufacturer chose what they felt was a great recording that sounded great out of both the speakers and headphones and settled with that. If measurements were all that mattered, we might not like the sound of our gear and we would not be having a lot of fun tryig to tune in to the musical message.

Mar 25, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #1,773 of 2,022
I really like the sound signature of the P9. My head is still hurting 30 minutes later so not a contender unfortunately which is a shame as they were only £250 preowned.

it’s been useful as I’m very much a novice so a lot of the audiophile terms haven’t made much sense in the past but I’m starting to understand them better with each new pair of headphones
I used to own the P9 and I do recall that I tried to loosen the pressure by bending/stretching the headband “backwards”. Maybe this will help? Btw lack of comfort was not my reason to sell them, really enjoyable....

Mar 26, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #1,775 of 2,022
Hello,
Any comparision to Denon 7200?
Thanks
The 7200 is more neutral in tonal response, especially in the bass.
To my ears, the P9's bass got very easily bloated with some modern and most electronic music.
The 7200 on the other hand was more versatile and forgiving.
Neither of them possess a 'large' soundstage, and the 7200's soundstage is fairly small and 'in the middle of your head', especially for it's size.
7200 is easily the more comfortable, and one of the more comfortable headphones around generally.

In my opinion, the P9 was trying to do something unique and special and 'fun' with it's sound, but in doing so, made a lot of people really hate it.
7200 is trying to be safe and in the middle of the road. I don't think anyone could ever hate it. But I didn't love it either. Kinda boring.

If it's any consolation, the AH-D7200 has about 90-95% of the AH-D9200 DNA, which was only a touch more airy and detailed in the treble area.

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #1,776 of 2,022
The 7200 is more neutral in tonal response, especially in the bass.
To my ears, the P9's bass got very easily bloated with some modern and most electronic music.
The 7200 on the other hand was more versatile and forgiving.
Neither of them possess a 'large' soundstage, and the 7200's soundstage is fairly small and 'in the middle of your head', especially for it's size.
7200 is easily the more comfortable, and one of the more comfortable headphones around generally.

In my opinion, the P9 was trying to do something unique and special and 'fun' with it's sound, but in doing so, made a lot of people really hate it.
7200 is trying to be safe and in the middle of the road. I don't think anyone could ever hate it. But I didn't love it either. Kinda boring.

If it's any consolation, the AH-D7200 has about 90-95% of the AH-D9200 DNA, which was only a touch more airy and detailed in the treble area.
Thanks...to bad that p9 has such doscomfort.
I like a livley sound not neutral

Mar 26, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #1,777 of 2,022
In my opinion, the P9 was 300% more comfortable that the Denon. I didn't mind the P9's clamp force at all.

The P9 has an elevated Bass response and a significant dip in the upper bass/lower mids region, which throws the entire mid-frequencies off-timbre. The bass quality is awesome and the treble is one of the sweetest and best I've ever heard, but that was not enough reason for me to keep the P9. They perform especially well with old and lean-sounding recordings.

The 7200 has a rather flat frequency curve, which is sloping downwards toward the treble (plus a little enhancement in the mids). It sounds warm, lush and relaxed, but still very detailed. The perfect headphone for treble-sensitive people, because the high frequencies are very laid-back. It sounds less exciting than the P9, but is more correct in regard to tonality and timbre.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #1,778 of 2,022
In my opinion, the P9 was 300% more comfortable that the Denon. I didn't mind the P9's clamp force at all.

The P9 has an elevated Bass response and a significant dip in the upper bass/lower mids region, which throws the entire mid-frequencies off-timbre. The bass quality is awesome and the treble is one of the sweetest and best I've ever heard, but that was not enough reason for me to keep the P9. They perform especially well with old and lean-sounding recordings.

The 7200 has a rather flat frequency curve, which is sloping downwards toward the treble (plus a little enhancement in the mids). It sounds warm, lush and relaxed, but still very detailed. The perfect headphone for treble-sensitive people, because the high frequencies are very laid-back. It sounds less exciting than the P9, but is more correct in regard to tonality and timbre.
I am from Romania and sorry for my english.
Those people in 7200 threads said that 7200 is more confortable.
I think i want p9 sound in 7200 design.
Wich you prefe?
Who has more bass,impact,punch
What is you preferred hp closed back?
Thank you

Apr 5, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #1,780 of 2,022
I've had P9 since 2016 but only recently noticed the bloated bass after using in-ear monitors more often. I cut 3dB around mid-bass frequencies and it immediately improves the listening experience. The boominess seems to be easily removed.

Apr 5, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #1,781 of 2,022
I've had P9 since 2016 but only recently noticed the bloated bass after using in-ear monitors more often. I cut 3dB around mid-bass frequencies and it immediately improves the listening experience. The boominess seems to be easily removed.
Indeed, bass boominess is typically easily removed. I often think people give up far too easily on a signature when a little correction is all that is needed. By way of example, my Sony WH1000XM3, dreadful bloated bass out of the box. After a week I was about to send it back to Amazon but decided to play around with some equalization and I am glad that I did. After some experimenting I dialed in some cuts that really made the XM3 shine and I quite enjoy the signature now, very nice sounding headphone once the bloat was trimmed and I am sure that the P9 would be the same.

Apr 6, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #1,782 of 2,022
Indeed, bass boominess is typically easily removed. I often think people give up far too easily on a signature when a little correction is all that is needed. By way of example, my Sony WH1000XM3, dreadful bloated bass out of the box. After a week I was about to send it back to Amazon but decided to play around with some equalization and I am glad that I did. After some experimenting I dialed in some cuts that really made the XM3 shine and I quite enjoy the signature now, very nice sounding headphone once the bloat was trimmed and I am sure that the P9 would be the same.
I think it's probably less about 'giving up' and more about personal listening preferences and habits.
Some people prefer not to use EQ.
Others don't expect to need to correct a headphone costing hundreds of [insert currency].
Too bad you can't correct the comfort or fit of the P9.

Apr 6, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #1,783 of 2,022
I think it's probably less about 'giving up' and more about personal listening preferences and habits.
Some people prefer not to use EQ.
Others don't expect to need to correct a headphone costing hundreds of [insert currency].
Too bad you can't correct the comfort or fit of the P9.
People who don't expect headphones to have compromises are in for a big surprise. It is impossible for any company to ever produce a headphone that will not require some equalization for at least some people. There are too many variables involved and expecting otherwise, regardless of price is unrealistic. Equalization if done modestly, and in a well targeted manner is not destructive to sound quality. Of course people are free to decide where they stand and what they expect, it is their money after all.

Apr 6, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #1,784 of 2,022
It is impossible for any company to ever produce a headphone that will not require some equalization for at least some people.
Which is exactly why it's easier for some people to just get a refund and move on.

Apr 6, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #1,785 of 2,022
Which is exactly why it's easier for some people to just get a refund and move on.
Absolutely, nothing stopping them. For me it seems a shame to not try equalization first, in particular if I for instance mostly like the sound signature in conjunction with enjoying the fit and finish. In such a situation I just feel it makes more sense to at least try and see if I can't make things workable. In theory, regardless of what we read, you could go from headphone, to headphone, to headphone, never finding anything exactly right because of all the variables. Assuming you find a proper fit and finish, small issues in sound signatures seem reasonable enough to try and fix/mitigate via equalization, but I agree, that is a personal decision. Each to their own and there is no wrong approach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back