Bowers & Wilkins MM1 vs Focal-xs, Which is the best?
Apr 22, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #16 of 45
I can recommend the XS 2.1, currently my main stereo speaker.  
I've heard good things about Aktimate media speakers (Epos), Monsoon planar media speakers and Quad 9La.
I consider Focals price acceptable but B&W and Audioengine looks too expensive. Audioengine
 nice looking and easy to listen but does not have the sonic edge for a high end desktop speaker i'd expect.Their
first line A5 has a serious flaw, overheating then turning off. They fixed the issue with a new version which has
heat sinks.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #17 of 45
I actually prefer the more affordable XS book to the more expensive focal 2.1 set-up. The XS book is awesome value, great on electronica.

Apr 23, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #20 of 45
The funny thing is what I preferred the most the 2.0 system was how much better the bass was. But really, think I almost liked everything better about them. No iPod dock but who cares.

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #21 of 45
I bought the Focal x2.1 system for my son who is at college.

It is a very good system.

Advantages:

1. The sub can be put under your desk so you don't get any desk boom, and it is out of the way,
2. the little speakers take up very little real estate on your desk and have their own well designed stands and look very good next to a Mac or other similar silver coloured computer  any speaker placed on a desk sounds so much better if it is placed on a solid stand so as stands are included you don't need to spend more money on stands.
3. it has its own built in DAC so if you do use an ipod the ipod's rubbish DAC is bypassed
4. it will re-charge your ipod and has a neat little remote control as well as an aux input,
5. I tried it in my study which contains my bigger mucho expensive system on the other side of my study and at times I forgot which system I was listening to
6. It images extremely well.

Disdvantages:

1. Plays to a reasonable volume level (for near listening) but will not shake the room (but who needs that ?)
2. it is a complete system including all wiring so you can't mix and match other components in with it (other than via ipod dock and the AUX input) but this actually makes it a very neat and compact system.

If I wss to buy a near filed system for my desk I would buy one of these.

Apr 24, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #22 of 45
Quote:
The funny thing is what I preferred the most the 2.0 system was how much better the bass was. But really, think I almost liked everything better about them. No iPod dock but who cares.

Hmm... Are you sure your listening environment was the same? Do you run the Book through a DAC? It's just hard to believe the cheaper model without dedicated sub & DAC would sound better.

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #29 of 45
Focal XS 2.1 sounded lifeless and harsh on the first day. It has become to my
reference for a fun desktop speaker after a year. The XS Book is more different to 2.1 then i expected.

XS 2.1

Pro: Grand sound-stage, good dynamics, detailed, very even. Emotional without being warm, very cool.
Con: The plastic stand makes resonance, very rarely. iPod dock is outdated. They are desktop speakers but the sub placement
is a hassle. Heavy and barely transportable. These are a transition between a HiFi system and a media speaker in size and sound.
I'm very satisfied with it, however i sold it to my friend. Deep hum only audible from close.

XS Book

Pro: Sound is intimate. Sound-stage is good, well detailed, sweet midrange. These are more laid-back then 2.1, by no means fatiguing.
I have not found their perfect place yet in my room. They sounded very different in each room i've tried.
Con: Bass is boxy in the shadow of the XS 2.1. They are not as even and powerful (2x20W versus the XS 2.1 2x30W+70W).
Hiss is more apparent then in 2.1. slight compromise but there, i don't like it.
Happy news! Sound with the RCA input is another level!

I needed a more transportable, cheaper Focal, now i got it.

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #30 of 45
Give it time you will see the light, the book is way better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back