Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
May 21, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #5,191 of 5,212
I mean, who can forget the condensation issues with the AirPods max or any snap on the focal headbands. It’s like every brand has that one thing that minority of their headphones experience.
Honestly as someone who owns pricey Focal headphones I'm way more concerned about the snap...It can happy anytime and repair under warranty is like $500+. I can glue the PX8 headband back easily lol

May 21, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #5,192 of 5,212
Given B&W replace your headphones no questions asked with a new sealed pair without the issue (well, in high likelihood, probably over 99%) I don't think this is a major concern.
I believe what sparked this discussion once again was that @jockos posted yesterday that B&W just sent back the old pair instead of replacing it and did a sloppy job of repairing the headband.

Post in thread 'Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion' https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bowers-and-wilkins-px8-wireless-discussion.964955/post-18133860

No headband issue for me. However, I bought my first Px8 in Novenber 29, 2022 and had the battery fail on February 16, 2023. I spent 6 days exchanging emails with B&W trying to get a shipping label from them, which was like pulling teeth. Had a similar experience in 2021 when I had to RMA PI7s earbuds twice (for the PI7s, I paid shipping the first time and got them to give me a label the second time). Maybe I am just unlucky but their customer service was pretty lacking in my opinion (based on my own experience with them).

I still own the replacement Px8 that I got (I did get a new pair) and the Px7 S2, which I bought in October 2022. Both of those have been great with no issues so far (except a random popping noise in the left earcup of my Px7 S2 when I power them on that I just ignore).

May 22, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #5,193 of 5,212
It is 100% a niche issue, and as another poster said due to a particularly bad batch of glue. Given B&W replace your headphones no questions asked with a new sealed pair without the issue (well, in high likelihood, probably over 99%) I don't think this is a major concern.
Except they didn't do that at all, and I had to suffer my old Sonys for over a month to get my old pair back, glued together by a twelve year old!

Plus they confirmed in store that is was a known and common issue, both when returning the unit and when picking it up, by two different people.

May 22, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #5,194 of 5,212
This pretty much closes the case and proves its a minority issue.

These headphones came out 1.5 years ago, and there are only a handful of negative reviews on Amazon about the headband issue. Given you can revise Amazon reviews, anyone experiencing their £600 product falling apart is very likely to add an Amazon review saying so.

It is 100% a niche issue, and as another poster said due to a particularly bad batch of glue. Given B&W replace your headphones no questions asked with a new sealed pair without the issue (well, in high likelihood, probably over 99%) I don't think this is a major concern.

I'd be far more concerned about driver failure which can hit 3 years and beyond into a headphone lifecycle. Like what you see with some Abyss Dianas, Focal Elear and Focal Utopia OGs. A headband glue issue shows itself quickly and can be resolved under warranty.

Not making excuses for B&W, but this won't stop me from buying from the brand in the slightest, given the issues I've had with products from Sony to Apple over the years, just part of the game.
The Almighty has spoken, Lets just dismiss the issue as non existent 😂 There are no facts or figures so you cannot make a qualified judgement. As other posters have said the customer service side of things is severely lacking and the repair jobs not great. I guess they got fed up of giving new pairs away as replacements and are now actually attempting to re glue them. I don't doubt that there are many great pairs, but I guarantee if it should happen to yours's you will not like it. Its akin to putting a nice big scratch down the side of your car, it annoys the heck out of you. Why can B&W not just reassure people and get there repair and customer service house in order?

May 22, 2024 at 3:52 AM Post #5,195 of 5,212
Except they didn't do that at all, and I had to suffer my old Sonys for over a month to get my old pair back, glued together by a twelve year old!

Plus they confirmed in store that is was a known and common issue, both when returning the unit and when picking it up, by two different people.
"known and common issue" implies that there is a higher than expected failure rate, I also had a similar exchange by e mail with B&W customer services advising the later models like the PX8 Burgundy were seeing a lot less returns.

May 22, 2024 at 5:36 AM Post #5,196 of 5,212
I’d be intrigued by those who’ve had issues whether they’ve dealt with B&W direct in Worthing UK, B&W in the US or a third party store or retailer as I get the clear impression that the service received differs depending on where that service was. Especially when people start talking about ‘stores’.

Was the ‘repair’ mentioned above even performed by B&W? I’m amazed they’ll try to repair any of these headphones given they’re made in China and not in B&W’s own manufacturing facility in the UK. They’ll just replace them and then any QC issues becomes the ODM’s problem because they’ll have tolerances on failure rates.

From B&W’s perspective they’ll never publicly admit to any widespread issue (not that I personally think there is any evidence to suggest it’s widespread) because it opens them up to potential claims from consumers. As long as they’re dealing with any warranty issues as and when they arise they’re good as far as I’m concerned.

May 22, 2024 at 5:39 AM Post #5,197 of 5,212
I’d be intrigued by those who’ve had issues whether they’ve dealt with B&W direct in Worthing UK, B&W in the US or a third party store or retailer as I get the clear impression that the service received differs depending on where that service was. Especially when people start talking about ‘stores’.

Was the ‘repair’ mentioned above even performed by B&W? I’m amazed they’ll try to repair any of these headphones given they’re made in China and not in B&W’s own manufacturing facility in the UK. They’ll just replace them and then any QC issues becomes the ODM’s problem because they’ll have tolerances on failure rates.

From B&W’s perspective they’ll never publicly admit to any widespread issue (not that I personally think there is any evidence to suggest it’s widespread) because it opens them up to potential claims from consumers. As long as they’re dealing with any warranty issues as and when they arise they’re good as far as I’m concerned.
I suppose below par repairs and weeks of waiting can be classed as dealing with Warranty issues Kinda 😂

May 22, 2024 at 5:43 AM Post #5,198 of 5,212

Their office in Finland told me to just bring my pair to them and they would replace them, but I don't have time to go another city for just headphones.

May 22, 2024 at 5:44 AM Post #5,199 of 5,212
The Almighty has spoken, Lets just dismiss the issue as non existent 😂 There are no facts or figures so you cannot make a qualified judgement. As other posters have said the customer service side of things is severely lacking and the repair jobs not great. I guess they got fed up of giving new pairs away as replacements and are now actually attempting to re glue them. I don't doubt that there are many great pairs, but I guarantee if it should happen to yours's you will not like it. Its akin to putting a nice big scratch down the side of your car, it annoys the heck out of you. Why can B&W not just reassure people and get there repair and customer service house in order?
There are facts, there is an Amazon page with 500 reviews, the review to purchase rate on Amazon is around 1-2%. Let's assume 2.5% for ease, then 20,000 pairs of PX8 have sold on Amazon.

I used the search tool to find that 5 total reviews of the PX8 mention the headband issue on Amazon.

So out of likely at least 20,000 pairs sold on Amazon, we're seeing 5 people come back and mention the headband. That doesn't sound like an issue facing anywhere near a majority of users. Irate and angry customers, as you rightly say for over a £600 product, usually chomp at the bit to complain. 5 complaints on the biggest online marketplace where a product has been available for 1.5 years...

At the same time I do think the issue is a shame, it's clearly happening - even if we took the likely large overestimate of complaints/overall reviews that would mean around 1% of units are affected. It's likely far less, but anyway. That's enough for dealers and B&W to see hundreds of returns, but it's not a high enough chance for me to care as a future customer or current owner of PX8.

My analysis was not some final judgement (I'm just another user on Head fi...) it was my own thought process about how risky I find the brand after this incident going on what little data we have.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #5,200 of 5,212
There are facts, there is an Amazon page with 500 reviews, the review to purchase rate on Amazon is around 1-2%. Let's assume 2.5% for ease, then 20,000 pairs of PX8 have sold on Amazon.

I used the search tool to find that 5 total reviews of the PX8 mention the headband issue on Amazon.

So out of likely at least 20,000 pairs sold on Amazon, we're seeing 5 people come back and mention the headband. That doesn't sound like an issue facing anywhere near a majority of users. Irate and angry customers, as you rightly say for over a £600 product, usually chomp at the bit to complain. 5 complaints on the biggest online marketplace where a product has been available for 1.5 years...

At the same time I do think the issue is a shame, it's clearly happening - even if we took the likely large overestimate of complaints/overall reviews that would mean around 1% of units are affected. It's likely far less, but anyway. That's enough for dealers and B&W to see hundreds of returns, but it's not a high enough chance for me to care as a future customer or current owner of PX8.

My analysis was not some final judgement (I'm just another user on Head fi...) it was my own thought process about how risky I find the brand after this incident going on what little data we have.
One slight flaw. I bought all three of my failed pairs from Amazon but I left no reviews (I rarely do on Amazon) so its not going to be hugely accurate if I am typical. Hard to say what the reviews to sale percentages would be, its all hypothetical fag packet math, we all have a theory B&W will have the figures but continue to make no comment.

May 22, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #5,203 of 5,212
Honestly as someone who owns pricey Focal headphones I'm way more concerned about the snap...It can happy anytime and repair under warranty is like $500+. I can glue the PX8 headband back easily lol
After five years my Elegia headband snapped. I repaired it for $60 USD using a Chinese "Audeze" type headband. See my posts in the Elegia thread.

May 22, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #5,204 of 5,212
Hi All...

New Member here. :)

After purchasing a set of PX8s due to advice from Peter Tyson (previously had mark levisons) I can honestly say I'm disappointed. This is the second pair I've had on warranty and am awaiting pickup from Peter Tyson tomorrow.

For such a premium and expensive product the headband failure, is simply a design flaw, or production/QC flaw.

I'm really happy with the sound, over my XM3's they're worlds apart in terms of sound quality. ANC is another story, but I wear these daily for hours (I work from home) and maybe that's why they've failed. Had this pair 3 months in total and needless to say I won't be having another pair, I'll be requesting a refund. If I'm given a new pair, I'll list on eBay. Such a frustration.

However, all is not lost, I've just purchased Dali io 12's and while they might not be as good for EDM (primarily listening to this Genre) they should hold up with the 50mm Driver.

Anyway, thought I would share my frustrations and thought's on the PX8. Headband issue aside, best headphones I've heard so far, even over the 5509. Didn't like the sound profile of those, and they lacked punch.

May 22, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #5,205 of 5,212
Hi All...

New Member here. :)

After purchasing a set of PX8s due to advice from Peter Tyson (previously had mark levisons) I can honestly say I'm disappointed. This is the second pair I've had on warranty and am awaiting pickup from Peter Tyson tomorrow.

For such a premium and expensive product the headband failure, is simply a design flaw, or production/QC flaw.

I'm really happy with the sound, over my XM3's they're worlds apart in terms of sound quality. ANC is another story, but I wear these daily for hours (I work from home) and maybe that's why they've failed. Had this pair 3 months in total and needless to say I won't be having another pair, I'll be requesting a refund. If I'm given a new pair, I'll list on eBay. Such a frustration.

However, all is not lost, I've just purchased Dali io 12's and while they might not be as good for EDM (primarily listening to this Genre) they should hold up with the 50mm Driver.

Anyway, thought I would share my frustrations and thought's on the PX8. Headband issue aside, best headphones I've heard so far, even over the 5509. Didn't like the sound profile of those, and they lacked punch.
Won’t be the same punch as the PX8, but Bass mode on the iO-12’s should do almost as well with thump and the clarity is quite ahead of the PX8. Different tuning, but very much an amazing set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back