Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Jan 25, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #4,981 of 5,164
You might recall my saga of returning the B&W PX8 a couple of weeks ago. I was new to this forum and posted my observations about how I loved everything about the PX8 except for the sound. :)

Although these are not very popular, and are 3 or so years old now, I picked up a used pair of MontBlanc MB01 bluetooth cans. So far so good....the sound signature is more to my liking than the PX8. Noise canceling is comparable, app functionality is comparable if not identical, and the app does offer a more flexible EQ. It has presets and a 5 band EQ rather than bass and treble in the PX8. I'm not one to EQ and prefer to leave things flat. If it doesn't sound right out of the box, it's not a great product is my point of view.

The MB01 has a fairly neutral sound, extended highs, a fat midrange, and a slightly elevated bass. Designed in partnership with MontBlanc by Alex Rosson of Audeze fame. He did a nice job on these in terms of build, sound quality....the buttons and ergonomics are not world class, but that doesn't matter much to me. They run smoothly, and have controls on the right earcup. The sound is warm but without the (my words) very bloated midbass of the PX8 that clouded the rest of the sound. It's still early as I have only been listening for the afternoon, but so far I feel I could much more easily live with these long term.

For those of you who might have pondered the MontBlanc MB01, if you could pick one up used at a good discount like I did, it's well worth the listen. Runs APTX Adaptive like the PX8.

Cheers.

Jan 26, 2024 at 4:03 AM Post #4,982 of 5,164
Hi Everyone,

I have had two pairs of PX8 to date with the headband issues.
I love the headphones but not the headband issue, I am looking to try a third pair and think i am going to select the Burgundy color.
My thinking is that it guarantees a later production model and hopefully resolves the glue/leather issues.
I have spoken with B & W and was given the below reply.

So my question is has anyone on the forum had any experience with the Burgundy model and can anyone confirm if they have had any issues.
Its a pretty new model (September 23) so 3 or 4 months wear now, would be grateful to hear if anyone has experienced issues or returned any.

Hello Ann,​

You recently raised a question with our customer care team.

Below is a summary and our response.

Reference Number: 240121-000199
Subject: PX8 headphones

Response By E-mail (Oscar) (22/01/2024 11:08)
Dear Ann,

Many thanks for your enquiry, I really can appreciate your concerns.

Regarding the headband issue, it is not as widespread as it may seem online and the failure rate is low on this model overall, but I can see why you have your reservations about purchasing another pair.

As far as we are aware, there have not been any reported issues with the new Burgundy model. We are always developing new products but, we do not have a new model to replace these coming out imminently.

Kind regards,
Oscar
The Burgundy model is quite new so nobody can tell you exactly if they have the same problem and how much they have sold.
But since they are still not switched to stitching the leather of the headband……..

Jan 26, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #4,983 of 5,164
You might recall my saga of returning the B&W PX8 a couple of weeks ago. I was new to this forum and posted my observations about how I loved everything about the PX8 except for the sound. :)

Although these are not very popular, and are 3 or so years old now, I picked up a used pair of MontBlanc MB01 bluetooth cans. So far so good....the sound signature is more to my liking than the PX8. Noise canceling is comparable, app functionality is comparable if not identical, and the app does offer a more flexible EQ. It has presets and a 5 band EQ rather than bass and treble in the PX8. I'm not one to EQ and prefer to leave things flat. If it doesn't sound right out of the box, it's not a great product is my point of view.

The MB01 has a fairly neutral sound, extended highs, a fat midrange, and a slightly elevated bass. Designed in partnership with MontBlanc by Alex Rosson of Audeze fame. He did a nice job on these in terms of build, sound quality....the buttons and ergonomics are not world class, but that doesn't matter much to me. They run smoothly, and have controls on the right earcup. The sound is warm but without the (my words) very bloated midbass of the PX8 that clouded the rest of the sound. It's still early as I have only been listening for the afternoon, but so far I feel I could much more easily live with these long term.

For those of you who might have pondered the MontBlanc MB01, if you could pick one up used at a good discount like I did, it's well worth the listen. Runs APTX Adaptive like the PX8.

Cheers.

So the company that produces pens and perfumes!? That Montblanc. :) Didn't expect this and didn't know they also make headphones.

They look really premium, enjoy!

https://www.montblanc.com/en-ro/collection/headphones/mb-01-headphones

Jan 26, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #4,984 of 5,164

Cheers.
I had the MB01 at one point. Little tip: be careful before downloading the app...it installed a firmware update which totally screwed the sound for me. Maybe that has since been rectified though...

Jan 26, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #4,985 of 5,164
I had the MB01 at one point. Little tip: be careful before downloading the app...it installed a firmware update which totally screwed the sound for me. Maybe that has since been rectified though...
Thank you. I remember reading that and might have been you who reported it.

I've updated to most current app and firmware and all seems well. No changes to sound.

These definitely fit the bill better for me than the B&W PX8 did sound wise. Build-wise the PX8 wins by a small amount. Comfort is equal.

I'm really enjoying them. I struggled with the sound character of the PX8 from the day they arrived until I returned them.

That said, we all hear differently and I hope you all enjoy your PX8s. 😁

I'm looking to try the Mark Levinson 5909 and the B&O H95 next.

Until then, these are the best Bluetooth over ear headphones I've heard.

Jan 26, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #4,986 of 5,164
Thank you. I remember reading that and might have been you who reported it.

I've updated to most current app and firmware and all seems well. No changes to sound.

These definitely fit the bill better for me than the B&W PX8 did sound wise. Build-wise the PX8 wins by a small amount. Comfort is equal.

I'm really enjoying them. I struggled with the sound character of the PX8 from the day they arrived until I returned them.

That said, we all hear differently and I hope you all enjoy your PX8s. 😁

I'm looking to try the Mark Levinson 5909 and the B&O H95 next.

Until then, these are the best Bluetooth over ear headphones I've heard.
It may well have been me moaning about it somewhere.

They do have an enjoyable sound sig - quite a spacious soundstage iirc. Enjoy! Definitely give the H95 a go too - those sound killer (but you'll be sacrificing on comfort).

Jan 26, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #4,987 of 5,164
It may well have been me moaning about it somewhere.

They do have an enjoyable sound sig - quite a spacious soundstage iirc. Enjoy! Definitely give the H95 a go too - those sound killer (but you'll be sacrificing on comfort).
Appreciate the advice and background.

Looking to score a deal. Hate the retail prices on those models. And the H95 is getting long in the tooth.

Jan 29, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #4,988 of 5,164
Today I returned my PX8 in the color Red. It looked really stunning, amazing. No any comment on that. But ANC still had issues, my right ear cup was sissing / making a lot white noise when you had the headphone on your head. Adjusting the headphone or putting little pressure on the ear cup fixed the problem, but when turning/moving your head the problem would come back. And I read about the headband problem..

And I was not really satisfied with the Sound Quality to be honest (using Apple Music). Or it's the expectation... going back to AirPods Pro 2 with Spatial Audio..

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #4,989 of 5,164
Today I returned my PX8 in the color Red. It looked really stunning, amazing. No any comment on that. But ANC still had issues, my right ear cup was sissing / making a lot white noise when you had the headphone on your head. Adjusting the headphone or putting little pressure on the ear cup fixed the problem, but when turning/moving your head the problem would come back. And I read about the headband problem..

And I was not really satisfied with the Sound Quality to be honest (using Apple Music). Or it's the expectation... going back to AirPods Pro 2 with Spatial Audio..
I had to return my first pair for the same ANC problem in the right channel. Second pair was perfect in that regard. But ended up returning the second pair as well for reasons of sound quality. I loved the build quality and comfort though.

Jan 29, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #4,990 of 5,164
I really don't get all the hate on the sound quality. I can go from my wired headphones (HE1000 stealth) to the PX8 when I'm not at my desk and don't really feel like I'm having a significantly worse experience, sure there could be some detail missing (often useless details like breathing, shifting of feet etc.) and sometimes sounds aren't as separated. I tried Sennheiser and Sony and they sound like crap in comparison. I guess it's all very subjective.

ps. I have the treble at +2 and bass at -1 in the app.

Jan 29, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #4,991 of 5,164
I really don't get all the hate on the sound quality. I can go from my wired headphones (HE1000 stealth) to the PX8 when I'm not at my desk and don't really feel like I'm having a significantly worse experience, sure there could be some detail missing (often useless details like breathing, shifting of feet etc.) and sometimes sounds aren't as separated. I tried Sennheiser and Sony and they sound like crap in comparison. I guess it's all very subjective.

ps. I have the treble at +2 and bass at -1 in the app.

I begin this post with your last comment ("I guess it's all very subjective") -- Yes, this is true undoubtedly. But, equally, what is "often useless details" for you, is something (very) more significant for others people. This "useless details" possibly going more far than just your comment of "breathing, shifting of feet etc" and going in more (maybe not so) subtle areas like reproduction of different instruments or the complete sonic reproduction.

Some people like you, or me, using EQ for obtaining their preference in sound with the px8 -- other people, like @Jazzophile, are completely against EQ'ing their headphones. Actually I'm always like Jzzophile in the past but, when I owning the px8 for short time, I deciding the compromise of EQ'ing is ok but only because others aspects of the px8 are very good (comfort, volume steps, design, portability), but EQ, for me, isn't solving completely the incorrect, for me, tonal balance -- EQ is only making this less wrong/more acceptable, but not really right (even when the px8 is responding very well to EQ, like I saying a long time ago).

I never hearing the HE 1000 Stealth, so I can't commenting about how good or not good this headphone is, but is true too that some people don't having a (big) problem going from one very different sound signature to other. BUT, some people will not accepting this so easily or at all.

Is true too that, apparently, many people liking the px8 a lot and this is great for them. BUT, many people too don't accepting the sound of this headphone, and one piece of evidence is how many people that trying both, Bathys and px8, are choosing the Bathys instantly....even some (early) ardent px8 fans that posting here.

Jan 29, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #4,992 of 5,164
I begin this post with your last comment ("I guess it's all very subjective") -- Yes, this is true undoubtedly. But, equally, what is "often useless details" for you, is something (very) more significant for others people. This "useless details" possibly going more far than just your comment of "breathing, shifting of feet etc" and going in more (maybe not so) subtle areas like reproduction of different instruments or the complete sonic reproduction.

Some people like you, or me, using EQ for obtaining their preference in sound with the px8 -- other people, like @Jazzophile, are completely against EQ'ing their headphones. Actually I'm always like Jzzophile in the past but, when I owning the px8 for short time, I deciding the compromise of EQ'ing is ok but only because others aspects of the px8 are very good (comfort, volume steps, design, portability), but EQ, for me, isn't solving completely the incorrect, for me, tonal balance -- EQ is only making this less wrong/more acceptable, but not really right (even when the px8 is responding very well to EQ, like I saying a long time ago).

I never hearing the HE 1000 Stealth, so I can't commenting about how good or not good this headphone is, but is true too that some people don't having a (big) problem going from one very different sound signature to other. BUT, some people will not accepting this so easily or at all.

Is true too that, apparently, many people liking the px8 a lot and this is great for them. BUT, many people too don't accepting the sound of this headphone, and one piece of evidence is how many people that trying both, Bathys and px8, are choosing the Bathys instantly....even some (early) ardent px8 fans that posting here.
The issues of the past couple of posts are what makes this a fascinating hobby. I generally agree with Angelom on his points above. To EQ something out of the box to this long term audiophile means there are problems with tonality, timbre and frequency response. Why would we want to listen to something "faulty" right out of the gate, and then have to EQ it? That said, I fully realize that we have thousands of headphones and pieces of audio gear, speakers, etc. that all do in fact sound differently and reflect engineering choices, philosophies and compromises made by the designers and manufacturers. Thus the creation of the Harman Curve, something to "aspire to" if you are a headphone designer.

Although I do not EQ, I will say that simply offering bass and treble adjustments as the B&W version of EQ is not enough to correct the deficiencies I hear in these headphones. That would require at least a 5 band eq, or probably more like a 7 band eq. Some other companies offer that in their software apps....

I respect SussyTofu420's opinion and his ears and perceptions. I can't argue with what someone else hears or perceives. I can only trust my own judgment and perceptions and hearing. I have at my desk, amongst MANY other headphones in the house, Audeze EL8 Closed Back headphones, Montblanc MB01, Audeze LCD2-Fazer, HiFiMan HE500. All of those except for the Montblanc's are planar magnetic. I also have Stax Lambda Pro headphones with a Stax tube amp nearby, as well as a Schitt Lyr tube headphone amp to drive full sized cans. To my rear are Shure Aonic 50 Gen 1, Philips Fidelio L3 and Master and Dynamic MW65 and MW50. Oh, I forgot OPPO PM3....also planar dynamic. I have a display case full of dynamic, orthodynamic (Yamahas from the 70s and 80s), and electrostatic cans of all ages and vintages. I also have Shure SE846, Shure SE535, Westone W80, Westone W60, Westone 3, some other in ears, and several high quality pairs of TWS in ears inclduding Sennheiser Momentum 3, B&O EQ, Google Pixel Buds Pro, Philips Fidelio T1, Samsung Buds Pro 2, and a few others.

It might sound as if I'm boasting, but I'm not unique in these forums as a collector, obsessive about sound and equipment, etc. It's the joy and pleasure of this hobby and I cite these pieces of equipment as examples of great sound, experience in this hobby, and the love of fine music, sound equipment, equipment design, enjoyment and pleasure.

I don't feel a need to EQ any of these pieces I've cited. Do they all sound the same? No. Do they each present their own version of music, tonality, timbre, sound character, etc? Definitely. Do some sound very similar? Yes. Do some sound quite different? Yes. And yet, none of them diverge enough from basic frequency response where I feel there are faults with the designs or a need to EQ. This is where I struggled so much with the PX8. From the moment I put them on, I heard that midbass hump, generally elevated bass, dip in upper mids and low highs that some on here have talked about. Call it consumer tuning, call it warm, call it syrupy, or whatever adjective you wish. To me, on much of the music I enjoy, it sounded wrong. I listen primarily to acoustic jazz, and the B&W PX8 has problems dealing with an acoustic bass being plucked by a jazz bass player. The bloat gets in the way of the rest of the music. Rhythmically there are problems when you have that kind of mid bass bloat across the upper mids and frequency spectrum, particularly when you have dips in upper mids and low highs. There were some recordings where it actually worked, but those recordings had problems that the PX8 kind of "fixed". I gave them 2 months of time to see if they broke in or if my brain adjusted....and one day about a month ago I put them on and just said, no.....these are just not good. I almost sent them back on the first night I listened to them, but had a defective pair (ANC issue) and thought I'd give them a long term listen. That was how sure I was of the problems I heard in their sound....lesson learned, trust your gut (and ears).

I probably sound like an a-hole who thinks he knows everything. But if so, I'm sorry....and I don't know everything about sound. If these sound good to many others and many here, more power to you. This is all about enjoying music, equipment and this hobby and I fully respect that. I love that you've found sound quality you love and enjoy.

At the moment I'm listening to Sennheiser Momentum 3 in ears, using AptX Adaptive, 24/96 off of Amazon Music. They sound wonderful. The B&Ws just couldn't give me what something like these, far far less expensive, can. But that's just me.

Thank you for letting me rant on. I appreciate this forum and all of the people on here and have read each and every page from day 1.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #4,993 of 5,164
At the moment I'm listening to Sennheiser Momentum 3 in ears, using AptX Adaptive, 24/96 off of Amazon Music. They sound wonderful. The B&Ws just couldn't give me what something like these, far far less expensive, can. But that's just me.

Hah, I actually tried the MTW3, felt like they were just "okay", two months later they broke down. Might give the upcoming MTW4 a try. I enjoy jazz as well (at the moment: Peter Bernstein - What Comes Next), but the PX8 bass isn't bothering me at all.

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #4,995 of 5,164
Hah, I actually tried the MTW3, felt like they were just "okay", two months later they broke down. Might give the upcoming MTW4 a try. I enjoy jazz as well (at the moment: Peter Bernstein - What Comes Next), but the PX8 bass isn't bothering me at all.
I like Peter Bernstein btw, and will check out that record! I was listening to Emmet Cohen, Masters Legacy Series Volume One, Jimmy Cobb. Great sound, great record.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back