Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Nov 29, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #4,846 of 5,215
PX8 has a short chime when connecting or disconnecting.

What kind of "announcer" is on the XM4?
"Bluetooth device is connected" "Bluetooth device 2 is connected" and then they disconnect out of the blue for no reason and I get a "Bluetooth disconnected" sound. The issue is that it is really loud and mutes what is playing on the background and you can't really disable it anywhere.

Nov 29, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #4,847 of 5,215
I think that if you want a one-can-do-it-all kind of headphone, that you can actually use also when travelling, the PX8 is one of the best out there. Better sound than the Sony/Apple/Bose, and better portability than its main sound quality rivals such as Focal Bathys, ML5909 etc.
I am happy with it and as long as you like the sound signature it is an excellent headphone.
I will add a random thing that I am realizing is a bigger deal to me than I thought it would be Is that the PX8's get louder than the 5909 or Bathys. I know it isn't a huge deal but if you listen to classical music, orchestral music, quieter movies etc...the loudness of the PX8 can compensate for the sometimes less than Sony level ANC much better than say the 5909 or Bathys can.

Nov 30, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #4,848 of 5,215
I have been listening to the px8 for a week or so quite a bit. I like the headphone in general but the problem I am running into is the following:

I listen to classic rock and on the PX8 for some reason to me the guitars seem to be presented less prominently. This is in full noise cancelling mode. I Have used the BW app and have gone -2 on the bass and +2 on the treble but the guitars are still too laid back in the mix for me.

I also listen to a pair of BW px7 (original), sennheiser 650 and focal Stelia and have not had this problem on these other headphones.

The PX8 seem to fit well.

For other genres having the guitar as an equal to other instruments is probably fine but for classic rock and my tastes it is not.

Have others had this issue?

What is causing this?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mike

Dec 1, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #4,849 of 5,215
I have been listening to the px8 for a week or so quite a bit. I like the headphone in general but the problem I am running into is the following:

I listen to classic rock and on the PX8 for some reason to me the guitars seem to be presented less prominently. This is in full noise cancelling mode. I Have used the BW app and have gone -2 on the bass and +2 on the treble but the guitars are still too laid back in the mix for me.

I also listen to a pair of BW px7 (original), sennheiser 650 and focal Stelia and have not had this problem on these other headphones.

The PX8 seem to fit well.

For other genres having the guitar as an equal to other instruments is probably fine but for classic rock and my tastes it is not.

Have others had this issue?

What is causing this?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mike
I too listen to a lot of classic rock and think he PX8 is excellent for this. Have not had any issue with guitars sounding off. Quite the opposite, guitars and vocals are the strong suits for PX8 imo. I do not eq mine.

Maybe check out a demo pair in store and see if they sound the same.

Dec 4, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #4,851 of 5,215
I downloaded v3.0.0 and set the EQ at -2db on the bass and +1db on the treble. This brought the mids a bit more forward and tightened up the bass.

Listening to the Android Tidal app, with ANC via aptXHD out of my FiiO M11Pro.

Now my old guy's ears are happy :)

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #4,852 of 5,215
Hello. I’ll jump in. I am new to the headphones game and I started here.

I just got a set of these (in tan and cream). They look good sound good.

I currently stream from my phone (iPhone 14) off tidal hi res.

Tidal will likely be the highest source I will play from both on the road and at home. (At least for headphones).

So what do I need to get the most resolution from the set. Run through lighting cable ? Over Bluetooth ?

I am debating on getting like a bluesound node 2 or B&W formation audio to stream high end Bluetooth if this is what I need to do so.

I currently have an integrated turntable amp so if I do by a piece I would like something that I could run tidal to my integrated amp.

Any suggestions.

o I like the headphones so far. App seems to work well also.

Dec 6, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #4,853 of 5,215

Tidal will likely be the highest source I will play from both on the road and at home. (At least for headphones).

So what do I need to get the most resolution from the set. Run through lighting cable ? Over Bluetooth ?

I am debating on getting like a bluesound node 2 or B&W formation audio to stream high end Bluetooth if this is what I need to do so.

I currently have an integrated turntable amp so if I do by a piece I would like something that I could run tidal to my integrated amp.

Any suggestions.

You will get the highest quality of sound when plugging in the USB-C to USB-C cable.

The 3,5 mm is more of an emergency solution for flights etc. No need for separate DAC/AMP as the PX8 internal DAC cannot be bypassed anyway.

If you want to improve your audio over bluetooth from the AAC you get from the iPhone you need a dongle for AptX HD . However I would recommend trying if you even hear a difference first. AAC is well implemented in the PX8.

Dec 6, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #4,855 of 5,215

Any suggestions.

Bluetooth over AptX sounds great, much better than AAC out of iPhone. It worked well for me over AptX HD via my Bluesound Node-- noticeable difference. I would skip the USB-C cable because that defeats the purpose of wireless headphones.

The Node would integrate well with your system as well and has good pricing going on currently. You can control everything via your phone to either your PX8 or integrated amp, and also wouldn't need a dongle hanging out from your phone either.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #4,856 of 5,215
Bluetooth over AptX sounds great, much better than AAC out of iPhone. It worked well for me over AptX HD via my Bluesound Node-- noticeable difference. I would skip the USB-C cable because that defeats the purpose of wireless headphones. The Node would integrate well with your system as well and has good pricing going on currently.
Huh. I get better sound over AAC than standard AptX but then of course AptX HD is better.

In any case USB-C lets you quickly check if the difference is really something you would notice.

Dec 6, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #4,857 of 5,215
Huh. I get better sound over AAC than standard AptX but then of course AptX HD is better.

In any case USB-C lets you quickly check if the difference is really something you would notice.
AptX HD and Adaptive sounded much improved over AAC for me. Never tried the original AptX flavor.

For me if I pay for the tech and convenience of Bluetooth headphones, I would never wire it up for any long term listening. There are many better wired options available if you're looking for pure fidelity. I've tried for multiple wireless headphones and I always end up taking them off. Wired for anything other than stationary setups just don't work with movement and cables snagging and flopping around your face. Hard to go back to using wired setups for portability after experiencing the convenience of wireless long term. YMMV

Dec 6, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #4,858 of 5,215
AptX HD and Adaptive sounded much improved over AAC for me. Never tried the original AptX flavor.
Ok then I agree and have the same experience. Although ”much” improvement is relative I guess. On the go or travelling I would not hear a difference and would not bother with dongles. iPhone AAC is fine.

Dec 6, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #4,859 of 5,215
Dec 6, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #4,860 of 5,215

Users who are viewing this thread

Back