Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Nov 23, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #4,831 of 5,215
where are you located btw? It is intriguing, I had an issue with the pI7 earbuds and B&W sent out a sealed replacement no questions asked within a few days. Maybe the service varies from location

So the issue with the leather dethatching itself from the headband continues! :darthsmile:

Don't forget that many people, including myself also had issues with the battery not holding its charge! :ksc75smile:
I forgot about the Battery gate, I personally had never any problems.
But it is just annoying.

Nov 23, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #4,832 of 5,215
So the issue with the leather dethatching itself from the headband continues! :darthsmile:

Don't forget that many people, including myself also had issues with the battery not holding its charge! :ksc75smile:
The battery thing was an issue that appeared for a small number of users and was fixed in firmware 2.0 already.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #4,833 of 5,215
Today I had the chance to listen to a fresh pair of PX8 headphones out of the box. I am torn in my opinion. I only listened to it digitally via USB-C. Bit perfect High-Res Audio, 24bit/96KHz FLAC files. ANC has been turned off. Yes, it sounds extremely clear, and the spatial imaging is also good. But it lacks authority, the voices don't sound very credible. The mids are a little muffled. What's it like for you, does it need a long break-in period? Also, the difference between the same track in CD quality and High-Res Audio is not as easy to understand as it should be. All tracks sound more or less the same in terms of spatiality, regardless of whether they were recorded in the studio, in a stadium or in a church. I waver and am somewhat disappointed, I had hoped for the high-flyer.

Nov 24, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #4,834 of 5,215
Today I had the chance to listen to a fresh pair of PX8 headphones out of the box. I am torn in my opinion. I only listened to it digitally via USB-C. Bit perfect High-Res Audio, 24bit/96KHz FLAC files. ANC has been turned off. Yes, it sounds extremely clear, and the spatial imaging is also good. But it lacks authority, the voices don't sound very credible. The mids are a little muffled. What's it like for you, does it need a long break-in period? Also, the difference between the same track in CD quality and High-Res Audio is not as easy to understand as it should be. All tracks sound more or less the same in terms of spatiality, regardless of whether they were recorded in the studio, in a stadium or in a church. I waver and am somewhat disappointed, I had hoped for the high-flyer.
I think the general consensus is that PX8 requires a moderate time of burn in. Not sure if I observed that myself, but I did notice that the seal (and comfort) got better after a few weeks as the ear pads softened and formed to my head. This had an impact on bass and also on the ANC.

Other than that I think the PX8 has:
- nice imaging and detail
- smooth and somewhat laid back treble. This can seem underwhelming compared to some extremely bright and detailed headphones, but the detail is there.
- forward and "warm" mids that sound excellent with female vocals and guitars.
- bass is fast, there is a lot of it but it is controlled. Some prefer to dial it down a little to prevent it from bleed into the mids.
- soundstage is intimate and not wide. It sounds more like listening to speakers in front of you than a wide concert hall with echoes.

I ended up buying both PX8 and Focal Bathys after trying B&O H95, M&D 75, ML 5909 and some other ANC headphones. I just love the overall package with the soundstage, usability and comfort.

Nov 24, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #4,835 of 5,215
I think the general consensus is that PX8 requires a moderate time of burn in. Not sure if I observed that myself, but I did notice that the seal (and comfort) got better after a few weeks as the ear pads softened and formed to my head. This had an impact on bass and also on the ANC.

Other than that I think the PX8 has:
- nice imaging and detail
- smooth and somewhat laid back treble. This can seem underwhelming compared to some extremely bright and detailed headphones, but the detail is there.
- forward and "warm" mids that sound excellent with female vocals and guitars.
- bass is fast, there is a lot of it but it is controlled. Some prefer to dial it down a little to prevent it from bleed into the mids.
- soundstage is intimate and not wide. It sounds more like listening to speakers in front of you than a wide concert hall with echoes.

I ended up buying both PX8 and Focal Bathys after trying B&O H95, M&D 75, ML 5909 and some other ANC headphones. I just love the overall package with the soundstage, usability and comfort.
yes, I heard laid back treble. But female vocals and guitars didn't sound excellent (yet). It's hard to describe the Soundstage as intimate, it can't show the different venues

Nov 24, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #4,836 of 5,215
Depending on the review, the PX8 needs up to 100 hours of break-in time. I think 78 hours should be enough.

If you prefer to listen to music via cable, there may be better alternatives!

For me, the sound got better after the break-in and I just like the sound of B&W.

Vocals in particular sound great.

It's not surprising that CD recordings and HighRes recordings don't make a big difference for you, there are dozens of articles on the net.

Nov 24, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #4,837 of 5,215
Depending on the review, the PX8 needs up to 100 hours of break-in time. I think 78 hours should be enough.

If you prefer to listen to music via cable, there may be better alternatives!

For me, the sound got better after the break-in and I just like the sound of B&W.

Vocals in particular sound great.

It's not surprising that CD recordings and HighRes recordings don't make a big difference for you, there are dozens of articles on the net.
Which alternatives for you (USB-C Audio Connectivity) ?

Nov 24, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #4,838 of 5,215
Which alternatives for you (USB-C Audio Connectivity) ?
Depending on budget, preference etc you could in theory pair any good open or closed back headphone with a decent USB-DAC and get better sound quality than PX8 or other wireless ANC headphones. You pay a hefty premium for the electronics (BT, ANC, DAC/AMP, battery etc) and since most ANC headphones are meant to be portable they are also somewhat limited in terms of the acoustic chamber.

That said, I have the PX8 at home and around the office since I like the fit, sound signature and the ability to take the occasional call, as well as moving around at home or on trips without cables. When I want to really listen critically I use open wired headphones.

Nov 24, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #4,839 of 5,215
Depending on budget, preference etc you could in theory pair any good open or closed back headphone with a decent USB-DAC and get better sound quality than PX8 or other wireless ANC headphones. You pay a hefty premium for the electronics (BT, ANC, DAC/AMP, battery etc) and since most ANC headphones are meant to be portable they are also somewhat limited in terms of the acoustic chamber.

That said, I have the PX8 at home and around the office since I like the fit, sound signature and the ability to take the occasional call, as well as moving around at home or on trips without cables. When I want to really listen critically I use open wired headphones.
I understand. This is the critical question: Really invest in a DAC + headphones? I thought the PX8 combines the best of both worlds. Thank you very much for your comment!

Nov 24, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #4,840 of 5,215
I understand. This is the critical question: Really invest in a DAC + headphones? I thought the PX8 combines the best of both worlds. Thank you very much for your comment!
I think that if you want a one-can-do-it-all kind of headphone, that you can actually use also when travelling, the PX8 is one of the best out there. Better sound than the Sony/Apple/Bose, and better portability than its main sound quality rivals such as Focal Bathys, ML5909 etc.
I am happy with it and as long as you like the sound signature it is an excellent headphone.

Nov 24, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #4,841 of 5,215
I don't like your language and the claim that I caused the glue to come off.

And I am not living in Dubai and I am only using my headphones in the apartment. No heavy use, no gym and sun or heat.

I just saw that you actually always blamed the buyers for the defects.

So you seem quite biased to me. You just have your fixed position and don't open yourself up to other possibilities.

B&W took forever to replace the headphones and communication was poor.
I got full store credit on a set of PX7 because something rattled a bit on the inside of the cup (annoying when riding the bus). It did take a little bit of time as they needed to get the headphones to the service department (probably at B&W), but no issues there.

The headband leather coming off is probably either a batch or construction issue that occurs with certain usage patterns.

Nov 29, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #4,842 of 5,215
I'm trying to get one of these high-end headphones because my XM4 has this annoying announcer for when a device is connected and I wonder which one doesn't have an announcer or if it can be disabled? I'm looking at the PX8, ML 5909 and Focal Bathys.

Nov 29, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #4,843 of 5,215
I'm trying to get one of these high-end headphones because my XM4 has this annoying announcer for when a device is connected and I wonder which one doesn't have an announcer or if it can be disabled? I'm looking at the PX8, ML 5909 and Focal Bathys.
The Sonys are awfully chatty.
PX8 has a ”bing” when turned on and another when a device connects/disconnects. Quite subtle and unobtrusive.

Also, multipoint on PX8 is very well implemented. And you can manage settings and devices in the app and set if you want the last device to auto connect.

Works better than most I would say.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #4,844 of 5,215
PX8 has a short chime when connecting or disconnecting.

What kind of "announcer" is on the XM4?

Nov 29, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #4,845 of 5,215
All 3 of these from my memory have beeps and boops but not anyone yelling at me. I know the Px8 doesn't have anything but a beep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back