Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Nov 7, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #4,771 of 5,215
This, I think APP2 can create an illusion of being 'good enough' while you listen, as they are undoubtebly very solid. And the cognitive easing is a huge factor too.

But when I use a PX8, or even a better tws like PI7, or a wired iem in the $200-300 category, I notice I am much more involved in the music than when using APP2. It's just a more attention grabbing, head filling experience.

Not to knock APP2, but there are much better options for music and PX8 is one of them.
Agree with this entirely. APP2 are good enough for all round travel tws. However, I find them a strangely disengaging listen with music. I'd say the same about the Sony WH-1000Xm5 (free with my Sony Xperia 1 V).

PX8, P7 S2s and the Focal Bathys are in a different league for musical engagement.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #4,772 of 5,215
Agree with this entirely. APP2 are good enough for all round travel tws. However, I find them strangely disengaging listen with music. I'd say the same about the Sony WH-1000Xm5 (free with my Sony Xperia 1 V).

PX8, P7 S2s and the Focal Bathys are in a different league for musical engagement.
My theory is that source material plays heavily into this. No real academic evidence, just realizing that when I'm listening to random average mixed and mastered stuff via bluetooth it's not a lightyears difference between the two, but man throw some high quality source material and yeah...the difference is stark.

Nov 8, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #4,773 of 5,215
I am very interested in buying a PX8. I would use the headphones wired via USB-C to USB-C only. On my Macbook Pro and on my iPhone 15 Pro Max. I have two questions:
  • What is the sound quality like when connected via USB-C? Does it change a lot and how?
  • Is it possible that the iPhone pumps out a bit-perfect stream? Enabling high-res audio via Apple Music?

Nov 8, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #4,774 of 5,215
My theory is that source material plays heavily into this. No real academic evidence, just realizing that when I'm listening to random average mixed and mastered stuff via bluetooth it's not a lightyears difference between the two, but man throw some high quality source material and yeah...the difference is stark.
If your type of music is from the mid 20th century and prior also, you're lucky that any decent pair of headphones should do justice to the music :)
I am very interested in buying a PX8. I would use the headphones wired via USB-C to USB-C only. On my Macbook Pro and on my iPhone 15 Pro Max. I have two questions:
  • What is the sound quality like when connected via USB-C? Does it change a lot and how?
  • Is it possible that the iPhone pumps out a bit-perfect stream? Enabling high-res audio via Apple Music?
I don't notice any appreciable difference between bluetooth and USB-C, especially on AptX. Via the 3.5mm cable, yes there is a slight difference in definition as it is better than bluetooth. iPhone can only do 24/48 via the Apple dongle. If you want higher, need to get an external DAC.

Nov 8, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #4,775 of 5,215
I don't notice any appreciable difference between bluetooth and USB-C, especially on AptX. Via the 3.5mm cable, yes there is a slight difference in definition as it is better than bluetooth. iPhone can only do 24/48 via the Apple dongle. If you want higher, need to get an external DAC.
I notice a very clear difference between bluetooth and USB-C but it still sounds good on AAC.
The 3.5 mm plug is not "better than bluetooth" IMHO.
And using an external DAC will not make a difference as the internal DAC of the PX8 cannot be bypassed.
You can color the sound with a DAC and the 3,5mm cable but not increase the technical detail.

Best quality of sound, use USB-C to USB-C.

Nov 8, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #4,776 of 5,215
If your type of music is from the mid 20th century and prior also, you're lucky that any decent pair of headphones should do justice to the music :)

iPhone 15 series can output a bit perfect stream via USB-C, I just got this information from the Apple Helpdesk

Nov 8, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #4,777 of 5,215
I notice a very clear difference between bluetooth and USB-C but it still sounds good on AAC.
The 3.5 mm plug is not "better than bluetooth" IMHO.
And using an external DAC will not make a difference as the internal DAC of the PX8 cannot be bypassed.
You can color the sound with a DAC and the 3,5mm cable but not increase the technical detail.

Hmm, we all hear things differently I suppose. I have not tested again with the USB-C since buying the headphones over a year ago, but that was my experience after 15 minutes with it.

If the "color" coming from my MBP M1 Pro via 3.5mm is making it sound that much more detailed than bluetooth to me, then so be it.

Should the signal via the 3.5mm not be analog? Are you saying the internal DAC on the PX8 is somehow reprocessing that analog signal?
iPhone 15 series can output a bit perfect stream via USB-C, I just got this information from the Apple Helpdesk
Did they say up to what maximum rate is it bit-perfect though?

If it can do 96 and up, I'd be very surprised as it is not published anywhere and opens up a whole can of worms regarding the new iPhones.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #4,778 of 5,215

Should the signal via the 3.5mm not be analog? Are you saying the internal DAC on the PX8 is somehow reprocessing that analog signal?

That's very interesting as it is not published anywhere and opens up a whole can of worms regarding DACs with Apple devices. Sounds like a selling point of the new 15's then. Good to know, thanks for the update.
The signal is processed in the internal DAC of the PX8 no matter what you do. And if you think about it, the 3,5 mm cable has an USB-C in the end connected to the headphone. This is a digital connection.

Nov 8, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #4,779 of 5,215

The signal is processed in the internal DAC of the PX8 no matter what you do. And if you think about it, the 3,5 mm cable has an USB-C in the end connected to the headphone. This is a digital connection.
These two statements are contradictory to me. If you're saying the DAC cannot be bypassed and the signal is digital regardless of the cable, then

1. How can you possibly "color" the sound with a DAC and/or 3.5mm cable?
2. How can you say the USB-C cable is best (better than the 3.5mm cable)?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #4,780 of 5,215
These two statements are contradictory to me. If you're saying the DAC cannot be bypassed and the signal is digital regardless of the cable, then

1. How can you possibly "color" the sound with a DAC and/or 3.5mm cable?
2. How can you say the USB-C cable is best (better than the 3.5mm cable)?
The 3,5 mm output from the source is not digital.
1. Of course you can color the sound at the source with a DAC.
2. The 3,5 mm cable introduces noise and also requires the source to convert to analog and then the use of the 3,5mm-USBc cable requires the PX8 to convert from digital to analog again.

Nov 8, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #4,781 of 5,215
Hmm, we all hear things differently I suppose. I have not tested again with the USB-C since buying the headphones over a year ago, but that was my experience after 15 minutes with it.

If the "color" coming from my MBP M1 Pro via 3.5mm is making it sound that much more detailed than bluetooth to me, then so be it.

Did they say up to what maximum rate is it bit-perfect though?

If it can do 96 and up, I'd be very surprised as it is not published anywhere and opens up a whole can of worms regarding the new iPhones.
Up to 24bit 192KHz
USB C Audio Passthrough
Same possibilities as OS X but without the Audio MIDI Controller, therefore no sample rate or bit depth conversion

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #4,782 of 5,215
For me

APT-X Adaptive vs USB-C to USB-C there is very little if any difference.

AAC vs USB-C to USB-C the cable is slightly better

3.5mm cable is easily the worst option.

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #4,784 of 5,215
For you use case scenario, the Focal Bathys may be a better option, as it has a dedicated DAC mode for the USB connection with is 24bit 192khz capable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back