Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Mar 5, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #3,481 of 5,138
If the price isn't so big problem for you (because is very more expensive than px8 or Bathys), maybe you want investigating the T+A Solitaire T.
Thanks but I have no interest in additional wireless HPs, let alone that expensive. lol Maybe I'll revisit when H95's replacement is out :L3000: I'm on speakers 95% of the time these days and all of my HPs stay on the wall collecting dust. I just wanted something relaxing that I can use while lying in bed, and Px8 fills that gap perfectly. It was more of an impulse buy than anything :smile:

Mar 5, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #3,482 of 5,138
Thanks but I have no interest in additional wireless HPs, let alone that expensive. lol Maybe I'll revisit when H95's replacement is out :L3000: I'm on speakers 95% of the time these days and all of my HPs stay on the wall collecting dust. I just wanted something relaxing that I can use while lying in bed, and Px8 fills that gap perfectly. It was more of an impulse buy than anything :smile:
I didn't get that suggestion either. So you like your BMW? Have you thought about buying a Lamborghini?

Mar 6, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #3,483 of 5,138
i hadn't read this thread for a couple Months, yesterday found myself back here, reading close to 35 pages of it...i'm torn. I like my h95, its default sound is one tuning i enjoy, it also has what I think is an awesome combination of touch and physical controls, but I don't like the idea of wearing it in public at all. Wearing the PX8 out and about I don't think will make me stand out in an uncomfortable way, especially the black. I've been traveling more for work so have been using a combo of my momentum 3, QC35 and a heavily eqed JBL TourOne i got as a review sample back in 2021 that sat forever after the review, but found its way out in the open as I resisted the idea of buying another headphone.
i really do like the headphones i have. i use my HP70, Aonic 50, Deva and H95 at home for wireless. The rest of the time is with my speakers or 800S

Something I like the idea of for the PX8 is using them connected to my Z Fold4 while at my desk, while having ANC that will probably be good enough for much of my commutes.
not having APTX adaptive is annoying in principal, I would prefer just APTX HD as I think it sounds better for audio vs adaptive.
my HP70 is the only headphone i use listening in APTX HD with my V60.
I guess here are some questions.
how would you describe the improvements listening with the PX8 via USB TypeC vs wireless?
based on the headphones i've mentioned above, does the PX8 bring something entirely different to the table that puts it far above those headphones?

Mar 6, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #3,484 of 5,138
i hadn't read this thread for a couple Months, yesterday found myself back here, reading close to 35 pages of it...i'm torn. I like my h95, its default sound is one tuning i enjoy, it also has what I think is an awesome combination of touch and physical controls, but I don't like the idea of wearing it in public at all. Wearing the PX8 out and about I don't think will make me stand out in an uncomfortable way, especially the black. I've been traveling more for work so have been using a combo of my momentum 3, QC35 and a heavily eqed JBL TourOne i got as a review sample back in 2021 that sat forever after the review, but found its way out in the open as I resisted the idea of buying another headphone.
i really do like the headphones i have. i use my HP70, Aonic 50, Deva and H95 at home for wireless. The rest of the time is with my speakers or 800S

Something I like the idea of for the PX8 is using them connected to my Z Fold4 while at my desk, while having ANC that will probably be good enough for much of my commutes.
not having APTX adaptive is annoying in principal, I would prefer just APTX HD as I think it sounds better for audio vs adaptive.
my HP70 is the only headphone i use listening in APTX HD with my V60.
I guess here are some questions.
how would you describe the improvements listening with the PX8 via USB TypeC vs wireless?
based on the headphones i've mentioned above, does the PX8 bring something entirely different to the table that puts it far above those headphones?
In terms of the audio improvement on the PX8 from Bluetooth to USB C - it's minimal in my view. As a comparison, the Bathys improve significantly in DAC mode but on the PX8 it's barely noticeable to my ears.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #3,485 of 5,138
In terms of the audio improvement on the PX8 from Bluetooth to USB C - it's minimal in my view. As a comparison, the Bathys improve significantly in DAC mode but on the PX8 it's barely noticeable to m

In terms of the audio improvement on the PX8 from Bluetooth to USB C - it's minimal in my view. As a comparison, the Bathys improve significantly in DAC mode but on the PX8 it's barely noticeable to my ears.
Thanks for your reply, it does seem like the DAC mode with Bathys is talked about much more vs on PX8, just from what I've read in reviews and in this thread.
i'll need to study up a bit more on the bathys thread.
part of me still resents Focal for the Elear. mine crackled at a reasonable volume and they wouldn't except it for return because i didn't have the outter box... whatever.
But, if I'm willing to spend this kind of money, I've got to find the best headphone for the money so haven't 100% ruled out trying them.

Mar 6, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #3,486 of 5,138
Thanks for your reply, it does seem like the DAC mode with Bathys is talked about much more vs on PX8, just from what I've read in reviews and in this thread.
i'll need to study up a bit more on the bathys thread.
part of me still resents Focal for the Elear. mine crackled at a reasonable volume and they wouldn't except it for return because i didn't have the outter box... whatever.
But, if I'm willing to spend this kind of money, I've got to find the best headphone for the money so haven't 100% ruled out trying them.
I have PX8 and Bathys and like them equally so you'll be happy with either. PX8 better for use on the go and Bathys are better when wired for sure. Other than that it's just down to signature preference etc.

Mar 6, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #3,487 of 5,138
I have PX8 and Bathys and like them equally so you'll be happy with either. PX8 better for use on the go and Bathys are better when wired for sure. Other than that it's just down to signature preference etc.
That's part of what makes this tough for sure.
I can totally see myself liking both of these. Wish I could demo them both. I don't like buying something i've for sure got a chance of returning outside of defects etc.

Mar 6, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #3,489 of 5,138
Mar 6, 2023 at 2:27 AM Post #3,491 of 5,138
not having APTX adaptive is annoying in principal,
If you want to use aptX adaptive with your Galaxy, get the Sennheiser BTD600. Wonderful product for only $40.

Mar 6, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #3,494 of 5,138
Does aptx adaptive make a big difference over aptx?
I think it generally depends on the equipment. Most super-ears here would probably say it is a massive difference but I dont agree.
Also, even the implementation of different codecs will differ. For example, PX8 has a brilliant implementation of AAC, so the difference between AAC and AptX adaptive is not huge. Bathys, to my ears, will sound more different depending on codec, and AAC is not as good there.

Mar 6, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #3,495 of 5,138
20230304_233111.jpg

Received this beauty along with Momentum 4 around the same time.

Long story short, I decided to keep these over M4.

With that said, IME, I actually think M4 sounds better. Much better balanced anyways. At first listen, Px8 is very oddly tuned. Mid bass bump is very noticeable and can make male vocals and certain tracks sound congested and compressed. What I like the least about the Px8 is the noticeable sound difference between ANC on and off. I like it better with ANC off and I'm just glad that option is there.

Comfort is superb (for my head) due to aggressively angled driver housing, as well as the fit/finish. Build quality IMO is light years ahead of Px7 I used to own. This is one of few HPs I can actually wear for hours on end without fatigue. Based on my usual sound preference, I shouldn't like the Px8, but I do. And I like it a lot. IMO, Px8 is not so good for critical listening. From that perspective, I completely understand Resolve's POV and anyone else critical of Px8's SQ. But as a lifestyle piece, I think these are fantastic. It's a rich, creamy, and pleasant listening experience, and one where I can easily immerse myself in the music (once I got passed the initial shock of how wrong it sounded) without being judgmental at every turn. In the end, that's what is important in this category (to me at least).

Bottom line, my head initially told me to return the Px8, but my heart told me the opposite.

Px8 will definitely be my guilty pleasure. If you like the PX8, great, and enjoy! If you don't like the Px8, great, and hope you find something to your liking.

p.s., all listening was conducted using S22 ultra connected to BTD600 for aptX Adaptive over Roon ARC.
Well done!
Enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back