Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Feb 16, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #3,181 of 5,215
You don’t need the dac though as the built in dac of the PX8 cannot be bypassed.
Bit of a newbie-question, but would you mind explaining what this means? I know what a dac is, but I don’t fully understand the built-in dac and how it works with iPhone streaming? Haven’t heard this mentioned with other cans so as a proud new owner of a pair of Px8’s I’d be interest to know!

So yeah, received the shipment last night, tried to be careful so that the wife doesn’t see and make me explain why I dropped 500€ on headphones (and 500€ to me sounds like a bargain price for a brand new pair). Need some more time with them before formulating an opinion but the first impressions are good and kind of different that I was expecting. I never had over-ears before because I have a big head, big ears and glasses, and I always thought that they won’t fit anyway. Well, they fit perfectly, and feel super comfy.

Soundwise the wide soundstage is what I noticed at first, bass freqs lower than what I’m used to, hearing new things in old songs I had never paid attention to. Vildhjarta’s dystopian nightmarish world of Måsstaden became even more nightmarish with the added immersion. Also trusty test songs from Steely Dan, Amon Tobin, Max Cooper and Massive Attack unfolded in a different way than before. I did notice that I have to crank up the volume quite high but I guess that’s expected. Oh, the ”auto-pause” when lifting an earcup doesn’t work well for me, turned it off right away.

That’s really my first impressions so far, I’m not an audiophile at all, more just a music nerd, so I lack the right terminology to express myself. But I feel like the familiar roads now have more colors, the greys became greyer, the abysses deeper and the rainbows even more colored. Loving it! Definitely keeping them.

Feb 16, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #3,182 of 5,215
Bit of a newbie-question, but would you mind explaining what this means? I know what a dac is, but I don’t fully understand the built-in dac and how it works with iPhone streaming?
Basically, all bluetooth headphones are active and battery powered by default. Also they need a DAC/AMP to function so this is built in. When your iPhone transmits over bluetooth the headphone acts as a receiver.

Some wireless headphones can operate in a true passive mode, allowing the user to plug in a 3,5 mm cable from a suitable source. In that case you can use a standalone DAC/AMP. Other headphones (like the PX8), dont have this feature and the headphone needs to be powered for it to function.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #3,184 of 5,215
Newbie question - how do I clean the ear cups of the PX8? After a 2 hour session I can see the sweat residue. Don't want to damage them, so any advice would be appreciated.
Instruction manual, as well as common sense, says ”damp cloth”, no cleaner.
You could also use a baby wipe or similar.

Best long term solution: clean hair and not hitting the gym in them.

Feb 16, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #3,185 of 5,215
Instruction manual, as well as common sense, says ”damp cloth”, no cleaner.
You could also use a baby wipe or similar.

Best long term solution: clean hair and not hitting the gym in them.
Yep. After a month or two I used some saphir renovateur conditioner to make sure the leather was well conditioned but that’s been it so far. Same as I’d do with any leather product

Feb 16, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #3,186 of 5,215
Yep. After a month or two I used some saphir renovateur conditioner to make sure the leather was well conditioned but that’s been it so far. Same as I’d do with any leather product
I use Saphir products on my shoes, but I wouldnt want it pressed against my ears and face. There are other leather conditioners more similar to skin care for actual live humans :)

Feb 16, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #3,189 of 5,215
Saphir actually make a product specially for nappa leather called nappa cream. I wouldn't use their shoe creams to be honest.
Renovateur isn’t necessarily a shoe cream it’s just an all purpose leather conditioner from what I understand. I’ve been told to use it on all leather products so it’s not polish or shoe cream. However, def going to buy some nappa cream now

Feb 16, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #3,191 of 5,215
Side note unrelated to the Px8 but In the realm of ANC cans. I won a pair of the new AirPods Pro 2 at work, and already had the AirPods Max…

1. The Px8 blow the APM out of the water in sound quality

2. The APP2 sound within 95% as good as the AirPods Max which is surprising but yeah they are pretty solid.

Feb 16, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #3,193 of 5,215
2. The APP2 sound within 95% as good as the AirPods Max which is surprising but yeah they are pretty solid.

For me the APP2 is a better sounding headphone/earphone than the AirPods Max, and better than many headphones (wired or not) that I hearing before. And I saying before in this thread that I prefer the APP2 sound to the px8, an opinion that isn't, of course, popular at all in this thread.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #3,194 of 5,215
For me the APP2 is a better sounding headphone/earphone than the AirPods Max, and better than many headphones (wired or not) that I hearing before. And I saying before in this thread that I prefer the APP2 sound to the px8, an opinion that isn't, of course, popular at all in this thread.
I still “prefer” the sound of the Px8 but I recognize that the APP2 are extremely versatile and the anc is really superior.

Feb 16, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #3,195 of 5,215
You have stated this about ten times already. It has nothing to do with popularity. However I envy you. You got cheaper, smaller and more convenient gear and your ears know no difference. God bless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back