Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Feb 13, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #3,166 of 5,215
Hi guys! I’m hours away from ordering the PX8… For once, I controlled myself more than two weeks before hitting the purchase button… Yes, you can be proud of me :wink:

A question though: I got the habit to fall asleep on the side with my ANC headphones. XM3 and 4, as well as QC35 and 45 were very comfortable in this configuration. At least for me. Not the APM, though.

Would you say the PX8 is comfortable enough to sleep on the side for someone who finds the aforementioned headphones comfortable enough to do so? Have you ever tried?

I got 12 hours in front of me to receive the PX8 on Wednesday - any help will be greatly appreciated !
Well both XM3 and QC35 are very light and comfortable headphones, PX8 are more substantial but I find them as comfy now after the break in period. However I would never use them sleeping on the side with the full weight of my head pressing my ear down into the ear cup, for two reasons:
1. It is not comfortable. At all. (not with the XM3 either)
2. I would worry that I break something. Although the PX8 is probably ten times tougher than the plastic cans you mention.
I think pressing hard would make your ears touch the drivers sooner or later.

My advice for evaluating the comfort and fit of the Px8 is to NOT do it over 12 hours only, unless you find them amazingly comfy from the start. Mine were good out of the box, but softened up significantly over a week or two. Now they are as comfy as my XM3s, if not better.

Feb 13, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #3,167 of 5,215
Thanks ! Well, if you do find the XM3 uncomfortable when sleeping on it, PX8 maybe got their chances with me!

Feb 13, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #3,168 of 5,215
Thanks ! Well, if you do find the XM3 uncomfortable when sleeping on it, PX8 maybe got their chances with me!
Yes, I would not rank any over ear headphone as comfortable in this position as they are not designed for it. But of course your experience may be different.

Feb 14, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #3,169 of 5,215
Firstly, thanks guys for such an interesting forum. Long time in-ear-only listener here, who after reading this thread finally decided to take the leap into over-ear headphones. Found a very good deal for PX8:s and decided to go for it. Most of my listening takes place at relatively noise-free environment such as home or office, so I place more value on the audio quality rather than ANC. For gym/jogs and transport I’ve been using Beyerdynamic’s various Byrds (Blue byrd, Free byrd) and been really happy for the most part. Considered Amiron’s but they’re getting on a bit already.

In the end I debated between PX8 and Airpod Max’s, because I mostly stream music from Ipad and Iphone. I hope it wasn’t a dumb move to go for the B&W’s despite the pros that full Apple ecosystem would have brought (spatial audio mainly).

I’ll let you know my uneducated opinion once the shipment has arrived and I’ve lost my audiophile virginity with the B&W’s.

Feb 14, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #3,171 of 5,215
Yes, I would not rank any over ear headphone as comfortable in this position as they are not designed for it. But of course your experience may be different.
You made the right decision. I owned the AirPods Max and I use an iPhone 14 pro/ iPad mini with Apple Music. AirPods Max are a bit uncomfortable for me. As ryanmatic says the Px8 signature is very natural and warm and works fine with IPhone and Apple Music. Tell us once you test them.

Feb 15, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #3,172 of 5,215
the 2nd hand price of px8 comes down quite a lot recently and i finally got one very lightly used unit (the original bought in Dec 22) :relaxed:

i demoed twice before in HK and in tokyo but found px8's tuning doesn't quite suit my preference. resolution seems a tier lower than ST and 5909 or even bathys. but the bass boast is very entertaining. on the other hand, the built quality suppresses all other wireless headphone even its price is the lowest amongst the 4 premium wireless cans. very lightweight and wearing comfort is excellent too. the cup internal size seems bigger than 5909 and ST and houses my big ears better :o2smile: surprisingly too is the bluetooth range is quite strong and comparable to 5909.

Attachments

• 20230215_215200.jpg
    20230215_215200.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Feb 15, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #3,173 of 5,215
Don't know what app people are using for streaming, but I've been using Amazon music since I got the px8 as they offered 4 months free for black Friday.

Getting towards the end of the trial and I decided to see what the other apps were like and qobuz sounds so much better with more clarity for a lot of the songs I've tried so far (both listed as high-res/ultra HD in the respective apps).

Feels like I've been missing out somewhat as I felt some songs on Amazon tended to sound a little muddy for lyrics when there is a multitude of instruments contributing to the mix while the same songs sound so much more balanced on qobuz. It's not apparent for every recording, but it's definitely noticeable on more energetic tracks.

Qobuz is also much louder than Amazon (and Spotify) so I can listen at 10% or so less volume (according to the Android system volume), but really crank it if the mood strikes.

Thought others should know that source is still king regardless of advertising claiming "ultra HD" or whatever.

Feb 15, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #3,174 of 5,215
Just received my px8 and have some concerns with the microphone.
When doing calls on mobile or joining discord on pc etc. - the Microphone is engaged and all outside noise is played back to me in the headset.
This means I can hear *everything* - My daughter brushing her hair next room over, sure got that too - almost...

Is it possible to turnoff this playback? I do not find anything in the ios app.
If not, I could request the feature through their support, but my patience would probably wear thin waiting for this.

Thanks,
Henrik

Feb 15, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #3,175 of 5,215
Hi all.

New member here, and I didn't want to create a new thread...just yet.

I'm looking to get the B&W PX8s. Don't laugh, but I currently own the V-Moda Crossfades (old, but not used much, and still in great condition). I would like to know how much better the B&Ws would be, and if it would warrant the not-insubstantial price. I don't mind spending the money, I just want to know that it will result in a decent jump in sound quality and enjoyment of music. I'm not buying them for the NC, or the Bluetooth - sound quality is the primary concern.

I use an iFi Go Blu DAC.

Thanks!

Feb 15, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #3,176 of 5,215
Hi all.

I'm looking to get the B&W PX8s. Don't laugh, but I currently own the V-Moda Crossfades (old, but not used much, and still in great condition). I would like to know how much better the B&Ws would be, and if it would warrant the not-insubstantial price. I don't mind spending the money, I just want to know that it will result in a decent jump in sound quality and enjoyment of music. I'm not buying them for the NC, or the Bluetooth - sound quality is the primary concern.

I use an iFi Go Blu DAC.

Thanks!
It has been years since I heard the V-Moda Crossfades. But I would be surprised if you don’t immediately feel that the PX8 is in an entirely - ENTIRELY - different league in sound quality. And comfort. And fit and finish. And features. :)
You don’t need the dac though as the built in dac of the PX8 cannot be bypassed.

Feb 15, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #3,177 of 5,215
Don't know what app people are using for streaming, but I've been using Amazon music since I got the px8 as they offered 4 months free for black Friday.

Getting towards the end of the trial and I decided to see what the other apps were like and qobuz sounds so much better with more clarity for a lot of the songs I've tried so far (both listed as high-res/ultra HD in the respective apps).

Feels like I've been missing out somewhat as I felt some songs on Amazon tended to sound a little muddy for lyrics when there is a multitude of instruments contributing to the mix while the same songs sound so much more balanced on qobuz. It's not apparent for every recording, but it's definitely noticeable on more energetic tracks.

Qobuz is also much louder than Amazon (and Spotify) so I can listen at 10% or so less volume (according to the Android system volume), but really crank it if the mood strikes.

Thought others should know that source is still king regardless of advertising claiming "ultra HD" or whatever.
10%? I swear I must be going deaf as anything less than 75% just doesn't work for me.

Feb 15, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #3,178 of 5,215
Hi all.

I use an iFi Go Blu DAC.

Thanks!
Its been about 6 years since I've listened to any V-Moda headphones, but I'm sure my old M100's pale in comparison to my PX8s in practically every way, except for price. I'm sure you'd find the PX8 to be substantially better. The question is whether or not you would feel that their superiority is worth more than twice what you paid for your V-Modas. As always, it's best if you can find a way to audition them first.

Feb 15, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #3,179 of 5,215
Hi guys! I’m hours away from ordering the PX8… For once, I controlled myself more than two weeks before hitting the purchase button… Yes, you can be proud of me :wink:

A question though: I got the habit to fall asleep on the side with my ANC headphones. XM3 and 4, as well as QC35 and 45 were very comfortable in this configuration. At least for me. Not the APM, though.

Would you say the PX8 is comfortable enough to sleep on the side for someone who finds the aforementioned headphones comfortable enough to do so? Have you ever tried?

I got 12 hours in front of me to receive the PX8 on Wednesday - any help will be greatly appreciated !
I agree with all the feedback @Denkmal gave you regarding this...but there's one more area of concern that's specific to the PX8. On the PX8, all parts of it that aren't made out of metal are covered in a very soft and supple Nappa leather. While the leather doesn't seem to be fragile, I doubt that repeatedly subjecting it to the friction caused by the weight of your resting head would be good in the long run.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #3,180 of 5,215
I agree with all the feedback @Denkmal gave you regarding this...but there's one more concern that's specific to the PX8. On the PX8, all parts of it that aren't made out of metal are covered in a very soft and supple Nappa leather. While the leather doesn't seem to be fragile, I doubt that repeatedly subjecting it to the friction caused by the weight of your resting head would be good in the long run.
I agree with this - the leather and memory foam are very soft and at the very least will compress over time with the weight of your noggin squashing it. I can't get my head around how you sleep like this as I would find it way too uncomfortable. Maybe add one of those aeroplane neck pillows on top of your standard pillow so the can sits nicely in the hole!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back