Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Jan 13, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #2,881 of 5,215
If I have the PX7s and enjoy them, is the PX8 a pretty substantial upgrade to them? I know it's diminishing returns when we get into these price points, but I've been thinking about a better quality bluetooth headphone as I have a baby on the way and won't have a lot of time to be at my normal listening station.

I guess a better question is, taking price out of the equation, is it a no-brainer to go with the PX8 if I am looking for improved sound over my PX7s? Or are the PX8s just "different", rather than "better"?

Thanks all :)
Which PX7s? PX7s2 or the prior version(s)?

Jan 13, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #2,883 of 5,215
If I have the PX7s and enjoy them, is the PX8 a pretty substantial upgrade to them? I know it's diminishing returns when we get into these price points, but I've been thinking about a better quality bluetooth headphone as I have a baby on the way and won't have a lot of time to be at my normal listening station.

I guess a better question is, taking price out of the equation, is it a no-brainer to go with the PX8 if I am looking for improved sound over my PX7s? Or are the PX8s just "different", rather than "better"?

I had the PX7 s1 but they are not even close to the PX8. Basically everything is better, as you would expect.

My biggest gripe with the PX7 was not the lack of leather or aluminium. And not the looks. And not the ANC. The issue was the boomy bass and strange treble. Also the comfort was not super. PX7S2 fixed most of this but the Px8 is then another step up.

Try.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #2,885 of 5,215
I have both (PX7c and PX8) and the difference for me is justifiable. I think the gap between the new PX7s2 and PX8s is much smaller from what I have read. The PX8s are across the board much nicer than the OG PX7s. Quality, comfort, SQ.
Yes the PX7s2 is significantly better than the s1. If I was looking primarily for something to wear when out and about I would probably pick them over most of the competition. But for my current use case - listening at home and in office, with occasional travel - the Px8 is audibly better and I would pick this again if I had to. It should be mentioned that I do listen to a lot of acoustic guitars, order rock, Female vocalists and other music that really benefits from the punchy yet warm mid range of the Px8. At the same time, the detailed differences are perhaps not so evident if you mainly listen to modern charts music, rnb, house or if on the go.

Jan 13, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #2,886 of 5,215
Yes the PX7s2 is significantly better than the s1. If I was looking primarily for something to wear when out and about I would probably pick them over most of the competition. But for my current use case - listening at home and in office, with occasional travel - the Px8 is audibly better and I would pick this again if I had to. It should be mentioned that I do listen to a lot of acoustic guitars, order rock, Female vocalists and other music that really benefits from the punchy yet warm mid range of the Px8. At the same time, the detailed differences are perhaps not so evident if you mainly listen to modern charts music, rnb, house or if on the go.
I also listen to the same types of music, and totally agree.

Jan 13, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #2,887 of 5,215
For reference. This is after 2 months of daily usage...average 3 hours a day..5 days a week...with leather care product applied every 3 weeks.
Both my Px7 S2 and Px8 are like that as well. Didn't notice until @Tenlow pointed it out. I think it is due to the design, although this has not happened in my much older Aonic 50s, which have a similar headband. My Px8 shipped on 11/29/2022 direct from B&W (only a month old really since I was away the first week of January) and have much lighter usage than yours in general since I use them before going to sleep (3-4x days per week and 1-2 hours/day). My Px7 S2 are older and get used 3-4 days/week when commuting (3 hours per day to/from office in NYC). It is what it is. Wrinkles are on the inside so I can't really see them when I am using the respective headphones so will try to not let it bother me. Doesn't make the headphones any less enjoyable or convenient to me.

Photos attached. Px8 on the left and Px7 S2 on the right.

Attachments

• 20230113_123118.jpg
    20230113_123118.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230113_121012.jpg
    20230113_121012.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #2,888 of 5,215
Well I was pleasantly surprised/amused the other day. After having the Px8 McLaren headphones for a few days, I finally opened the case's cable compartment. Much to my surprise the cables match the Papaya color of the headphones! :darthsmile: I've been using other cables I had laying around to charge the headphones. Nice touch B&W, now if you'd just throw in a Papaya colored McLaren car!:ksc75smile:

IMG_9890.jpeg

Jan 13, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #2,889 of 5,215
I had the PX7 s1 but they are not even close to the PX8. Basically everything is better, as you would expect.

My biggest gripe with the PX7 was not the lack of leather or aluminium. And not the looks. And not the ANC. The issue was the boomy bass and strange treble. Also the comfort was not super. PX7S2 fixed most of this but the Px8 is then another step up.

Try.
I also had the original PX7. I now have the Px8. I would say the Px8 is a substantial improvement in sound, as well as materials and build quality. I gave my PX7 to my daughter, she is now enjoying them. :L3000:

Jan 13, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #2,890 of 5,215
Both my Px7 S2 and Px8 are like that as well. Didn't notice until @Tenlow pointed it out. I think it is due to the design, although this has not happened in my much older Aonic 50s, which have a similar headband. My Px8 shipped on 11/29/2022 direct from B&W (only a month old really since I was away the first week of January) and have much lighter usage than yours in general since I use them before going to sleep (3-4x days per week and 1-2 hours/day). My Px7 S2 are older and get used 3-4 days/week when commuting (3 hours per day to/from office in NYC). It is what it is. Wrinkles are on the inside so I can't really see them when I am using the respective headphones so will try to not let it bother me. Doesn't make the headphones any less enjoyable or convenient to me.

Photos attached. Px8 on the left and Px7 S2 on the right.
I asked B&W about it and their response (it was in German) translates like this:

„Good day,

Thank you for contacting us.

In our PX8 headphones, all comfort materials, including the ear pads and headband, are covered with natural, untreated leather. Unlike man-made materials, leather has very little stretch. Because the padded headband section is constructed flat before it is fitted to the curved headband, the leather may contract or fold when compressed to accommodate the shortening effect.
This effect varies from case to case depending on how far the headband is bent, and can become more noticeable over time as the material softens. Unfortunately, this is something we have no control over as the excess material can either fold inwards or, as you have experienced, outwards.

Yours sincerely

Bowers&Wilkins Support

Jan 13, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #2,891 of 5,215

I have both PX7 and PX8. I find the PX8 so much better, both in terms of sound, better ANC, and most importantly of all, comfort. I loved my PX7 and still have them, but after awhile the band would start to hurt and I'd always have to move the headphones a bit. With the PX8 they are extremely comfortable and I could wear them for hours.

Jan 13, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #2,892 of 5,215
Well I was pleasantly surprised/amused the other day. After having the Px8 McLaren headphones for a few days, I finally opened the case's cable compartment. Much to my surprise the cables match the Papaya color of the headphones! :darthsmile: I've been using other cables I had laying around to charge the headphones. Nice touch B&W, now if you'd just throw in a Papaya colored McLaren car!:ksc75smile:

Those McLarens look much lighter grey than they do on B&W's website. How do you find the shade in regular lighting and in person? Would you say they're lighter or the same as they are on the marketing material?

Just curious, because I'm considering them.

Jan 13, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #2,893 of 5,215
Those McLarens look much lighter grey than they do on B&W's website. How do you find the shade in regular lighting and in person? Would you say they're lighter or the same as they are on the marketing material?

Just curious, because I'm considering them.
They might look lighter due to the LED monitor light I have perched on the computer screen for the original picture. . Below pics of natural light both direct and indirect.
IMG_9893.jpeg
IMG_9892.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #2,894 of 5,215

I ended up going with the a ml5909 but auditioned the px8 and much preferred then to my old px7. The px7 tuning was just mediocre.

Don't get my wrong I like a V shape for fun listening but the px7 tuning was strange. The were both veiled but overly bright, literally the worst combination. They were great at the time when they were my first nice pair

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #2,895 of 5,215
Yeah, strange is a good way to describe the Px7 signature. With some music it sounds quite fun, but it’s inconsistent. Another thing I remember from my time with it was the soundstage—it was surprisingly large and spacious but that came at the cost of the midrange, which was recessed… almost like they tried to compensate by having somewhat peaky treble. Really glad they course corrected so heavily with the Px8.

I haven’t heard the ML5909 myself but it sounds like those are top-tier when it comes to a balanced wireless signature. Good call :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back