Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Dec 29, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #2,823 of 5,215
I've recently found i preferred the sound of the Px8 connected to the Gryphon after a long time listening via usb connection to my laptop. Is this really an analog connection? Is the Gryphon DAC and amp really driving it or is the signal processed again within the Px8? I don't get why it's a USB C connection at the headphone end.

Dec 30, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #2,824 of 5,215
I do still get a bit of a sore spot on the top of my head with these unfortunately. I have a fairly big head though but still not as comfortable as the AirPods Max for me personally.

Also, the right slider to extend the size on the head makes a bit of a noise when fully extending the arm of it. Sounds like a bit of friction or so whereas it’s completely smooth and quiet on the left side.

Nothing major but not the „perfection“ I was hoping for. I contacted Amazon where I bought them and asked what they would suggest and they offered to either replace them or give me a 80€ discount on them. Took the money and am okay with it now :)

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #2,825 of 5,215
I've recently found i preferred the sound of the Px8 connected to the Gryphon after a long time listening via usb connection to my laptop. Is this really an analog connection? Is the Gryphon DAC and amp really driving it or is the signal processed again within the Px8? I don't get why it's a USB C connection at the headphone end.
Sadly there's no passive mode, signal will be processed again in the headphones DSP but not sure an external headphone amp can improve sound quality. Personally I feel sound quality improved when connected to a DAP compared to my phone.

Dec 30, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #2,826 of 5,215
Day two with the Px8. I spend a lot of time last night, and most of my morning listening to the Px8. Last night I listened to a lot of David Knopfler and Michael McDonald. I've got to say it's been too long where I actually dedicated time to listening to headphones, and not multi-tasking with a computer/reading at the same time. Believe me when I say focused/relaxed music listening is well worth the time!

I even did a little M&D M75 vs. the Px8. Certainly the Px8 sounds richer than the M&D M75, which are slightly more analytical IMHO. But, I do think I prefer female vocals on the M&D M75. I'll need to do some more listening.

Per my previous posting I am still having to crank the volume up a little more than I'm used to with the Px8 to get the full, rich sound. I did dial down the bass a little using the application via my iPhone. That has helped with what I consider my sensitivity to bass. I will just have to remember I've done this should I find bass lacking with different kinds of music. BTW Dido's Jurere bass beat may turn me into a "bass head" yet, but I am glad to have dialed down the bass via the equalizer just a tad. :relieved:

I'm also listening (via Tidal) to David Knopfler's Last Train Leaving album on the Px8 and Santana's bellaquera. It is darn right wonderful!

So what's is next? I will cable the Px8 to my Asgard 3 and see what that does sound wise. I have already written in another posting that the MW75 sound really, really good cabled! Does anyone know if the Px8 cabled to the Asgard3 bypasses the Px8's internal DAC. I hope I've stated that correctly?

Update:

Played around with the MW75's app. and turned off "sound profile" that had been set to "audiophile". I was listening to Florence + the Machine's Dance Fever. Oddly, the sound is richer...almost approaching the richness of the Px8. Plus I get the nice female vocals that I thought were a little less pronounced than on the Px8s. Hmmmm.

IMG_9774.jpeg

IMG_9773.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #2,827 of 5,215
Day two with the Px8. I spend a lot of time last night, and most of my morning listening to the Px8. Last night I listened to a lot of David Knopfler and Michael McDonald. I've got to say it's been too long where I actually dedicated time to listening to headphones, and not multi-tasking with a computer/reading at the same time. Believe me when I say focused/relaxed music listening is well worth the time!

I even did a little M&D M75 vs. the Px8. Certainly the Px8 sounds richer than the M&D M75, which are slightly more analytical IMHO. But, I do think I prefer female vocals on the M&D M75. I'll need to do some more listening.

Per my previous posting I am still having to crank the volume up a little more than I'm used to with the Px8 to get the full, rich sound. I did dial down the bass a little using the application via my iPhone. That has helped with what I consider my sensitivity to bass. I will just have to remember I've done this should I find bass lacking with different kinds of music. BTW Dido's Jurere bass beat may turn me into a "bass head" yet, but I am glad to have dialed down the bass via the equalizer just a tad. :relieved:

I'm also listening (via Tidal) to David Knopfler's Last Train Leaving album on the Px8 and Santana's bellaquera. It is darn right wonderful!

So what's is next? I will cable the Px8 to my Asgard 3 and see what that does sound wise. I have already written in another posting that the MW75 sound really, really good cabled! Does anyone know if the Px8 cabled to the Asgard3 bypasses the Px8's internal DAC. I hope I've stated that correctly?

IMG_9774.jpeg

IMG_9773.jpeg
You cannot bypass the internal DAC in the PX8, oth the DAC is quite good. Best audio quality is achieved wired USB-C to USB-C. The USB-C to 3,5mm cable is basically just for emergencies like airplane movies etc and do not give you any better sound regardless of source.

Dec 30, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #2,828 of 5,215
Hey guys, a couple questions to PX8 owners:

1. Can you use ANC in passive mode?
2. How is the isolation in passive mode w/o ANC?
3. If you were to compare them with a wired closed-back headphone which one would that be (sound-quality / tuning-wise)? I have Sony Z7M2 so if you can compare with it - pls do!!
4. How is gaming with them?
5. Are they travel-friendly? Size-wise no putting them in some “tech case” with other wires and such, or would they take up as much space as, say, a pair of sneakers?

Dec 31, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #2,829 of 5,215
Hey guys, a couple questions to PX8 owners:

1. Can you use ANC in passive mode?
2. How is the isolation in passive mode w/o ANC?
3. If you were to compare them with a wired closed-back headphone which one would that be (sound-quality / tuning-wise)? I have Sony Z7M2 so if you can compare with it - pls do!!
4. How is gaming with them?
5. Are they travel-friendly? Size-wise no putting them in some “tech case” with other wires and such, or would they take up as much space as, say, a pair of sneakers?
1. There is no passive mode. But there is a cable you can use to connect a 3,5mm source to the USB-C input of the PX8. This will still use the DAC in the headphone and the headphone must be turned on. Or you can use a full digital USB-C to USB-C cable from e g an iPad or a laptop which will give you better sound than the 3,5mm outlet or bluetooth.
You can use ANC in wired mode.

2. Passive isolation is pretty good I think. Better than most plastic cans with less sense and high quality materials.

3. Best comparison of tuning I could do would be to a wired closed back is the B&W P7, although PX8 is better at everything. In some aspects they also remind me of B&W P9 signature.

4. I dont know but my guess is that gaming with it is fine, just as movies. If you intend to use the mic though you may want to test this separately. The mic is ok in silent surroundings and for occasional phone calls but not like a boom mic on a proper headset.

5. They are very travel friendly, subtle looking and not too big on the head. The case is sturdy. Headphones dont fold up so case is not as small as e g Sony XM3/4 but pretty much the same as most other ANC headphones of this size.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #2,830 of 5,215
Day 3 with Px8. I had a problem arise that was my fault! I was finding that "passthrough" mode has a really annoying background noise. But, figured out the noise was a result of not getting a good seal on my head . I know, well Duh Captain Obvious Jazz1! :deadhorse:I guess I'd call it leaking "white noise" feedback. I'm glad I adjusted the ear cup on my head before panicking and sending these beautiful headphones back. That fixed the self-inflicted issue.

Don't let my picture icon fool you....I'm wearing a buzz cut these days....the pic is from my "hippie" days in college. So a good ear cup head seal should be easy peasy! I'll be more careful in the future, but I thought I'd give other Px8 owners a heads up, so to speak. :relieved:

Has anyone else come across this self-inflicted issue with the Px8?

Jan 1, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #2,833 of 5,215
So my headphones were charged to 100%, I've just watched 25 minutes of Wednesday on Netflix (with ANC) and my battery is already at 96%. Is that normal?
Seems quite normal. A linear drain would indicate that 4% battery = 25 mins so 100% battery would be 625 mins. But the battery doesnt work like that. Use the headphone a number of hours, preferably a full charging cycle before evaluating.

Mine listed appr 34 hours with ANC on and moderate volume.

Jan 3, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #2,834 of 5,215
Enjoying the Px8 even more as time passes. Is it perfect? No, but there is just some music that thrives on the rich sound these headphones deliver.

Listening to Center Stage, WDR Big Band album with Steve Gadd, Eddie Gomez, Ronnie Cuber (via Tidal). I've come to the conclusion that good headphones make me appreciate types of music that I'm not particularly familiar with (or even thought I'd enjoy). That is what is happening for me and the Px8.

I feel I am in center row, 6 rows back on the Center State album! The other artist I came across today is Natalie Mering. What a voice, and these headphones really underscore the beauty of her voice!

As I said these Px8 headphones are not perfect. To be frank listening to these headphones for too, too long can be like eating too much chocolate cake (sometimes you have to revert to plain vanilla yogurt).:smile_phones:
If you ever find perfect headphones for all kinds/types of music let us know, but I continue to hold there is no such thing.:beerchug:

Jan 3, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #2,835 of 5,215
Agreed… the PX8 have a rich signature can be a little much after a while. This is why I actually like that the app includes simplified EQ controls that only skew the presence of treble or bass as it keeps the tonality relatively consistent while just adjusting the energy in either range. Dropping the bass a tad and correspondingly increasing the treble (as many have mentioned earlier in this thread) creates a very pleasant, balanced sound. To me it’s the best of both worlds as the default signature is perfect for mobile use and generally sounds good to me with most music I throw at it.

Over the years I’ve grown to appreciate headphones with a slightly more exciting default signature that can be easily tamed just a bit when necessary. By memory, the Px7 was way too peaky and bass-heavy to EQ easily (adjusting one band messed up several others, leading to an endless game of whack-a-mole). And by contrast, the Shure AONIC 50 was so relatively flat that trying to add bass energy ruined its overall tonality, and never really give it any of the thicker presentation and slam that the Px8 does by default. I know most would prefer a parametric EQ to be built into the app, but for what it’s worth, the simplified one works pretty darn well and manages to preserve the overall tuning no matter what adjustments you make.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back