Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Dec 28, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #2,791 of 5,212
Thanks so much! You are returning px8 because its ANC is not sufficient for your use case, or simply you prefer the sound of M4 more?
Nah, you can see my posts about this on the previous page, but basically there was an annoying white noise like static that would appear on the right ear cup whenever the headphone and/or my mouth or head moved around a bit. Initially I was just going to get it exchanged for a new unit as I figured it was an isolated incident, but I did more research and found out this is actually a common defect B&W wireless headphones have. I just didn't want to take another chance with having to return again and causing issues with the dealer, so I decided to get the M4's instead. Although it doesn't sound as good as the Px8's, they sound good enough to where I can be happy to use them daily (especially at $300).

Dec 29, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #2,792 of 5,212
Nah, you can see my posts about this on the previous page, but basically there was an annoying white noise like static that would appear on the right ear cup whenever the headphone and/or my mouth or head moved around a bit. Initially I was just going to get it exchanged for a new unit as I figured it was an isolated incident, but I did more research and found out this is actually a common defect B&W wireless headphones have. I just didn't want to take another chance with having to return again and causing issues with the dealer, so I decided to get the M4's instead. Although it doesn't sound as good as the Px8's, they sound good enough to where I can be happy to use them daily (especially at $300).
Thanks for your response! Indeed I was very happy when I got my m4 firstly, but the thought of having a nicer one just doesn't fade away LOL

Dec 29, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #2,793 of 5,212
Glad you are happy with the M4, that’s what is important. I do like them, and I don’t commute, so that wasn’t an issue with me.

Thanks for your response! Indeed I was very happy when I got my m4 firstly, but the thought of having a nicer one just doesn't fade away LOL
If you are happy with the M4, stay with that. I will add that when I reviewed them, the touch controls on the side were not as polished as others, but I understand a firmware was coming, I believe.

Be happy with your choices, the M4 is indeed good.

Dec 29, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #2,795 of 5,212
Well, I've returned the Focal Bathys and joined the PX8 owners club. Hope I'll not be disappointed.

The Bathys was the best wireless headphone I've ever heard (not tried T&A or ML 5909) and beautiful to look at. However, ANC is always on (or transparency) and ANC performance is poor. In a headphone marketed as a portable solution, the ANC should block out noise from a bus engine (it doesn't) and should not warble or thump as the bus shakes (it does). Sick of this not being picked up in reviews of ANC headphones, as Focal are not alone in having their DSP/software do this. They also pick up footfall while walking, though not enough to be a major issue. However, given that the ANC cannot be defeated (such a stupid oversight), this limits the Bathys to office or home use, in my view and that is unacceptable to me at their premium price point. Doubtless turbulence on a plane would also impact on the ANC and sound.

So, I've made a saving and got the PX8s. Not expecting them to sound as good as the Bathys, but I'm a fan of a warm sound signature so I doubt I'll be disappointed. Plus, if the ANC has issues, I can turn it off and enjoy music with passive isolation only. I'm hoping the PX8 is, as has been said in this forum and elsewhere, a more complete ANC solution than the Bathys. crossed. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #2,796 of 5,212
Well, I've returned the Focal Bathys and joined the PX8 owners club. Hope I'll not be disappointed.

The Bathys was the best wireless headphone I've ever heard (not tried T&A or ML 5909) and beautiful to look at. However, ANC is always on (or transparency) and ANC performance is poor. In a headphone marketed as a portable solution, the ANC should block out noise from a bus engine (it doesn't) and should not warble or thump as the bus shakes (it does). Sick of this not being picked up in reviews of ANC headphones, as Focal are not alone in having their DSP/software do this. They also pick up footfall while walking, though not enough to be a major issue. However, given that the ANC cannot be defeated (such a stupid oversight), this limits the Bathys to office or home use, in my view and that is unacceptable to me at their premium price point. Doubtless turbulence on a plane would also impact on the ANC and sound.

So, I've made a saving and got the PX8s. Not expecting them to sound as good as the Bathys, but I'm a fan of a warm sound signature so I doubt I'll be disappointed. Plus, if the ANC has issues, I can turn it off and enjoy music with passive isolation only. I'm hoping the PX8 is, as has been said in this forum and elsewhere, a more complete ANC solution than the Bathys. crossed. Fingers crossed.
I believe honestly that reviewers use noise simulations in their office most of the time as opposed to the standard of literally taking them anywhere to see how they work.

Finally traveling with the bathys and Px8 and yeah, the bathys ANC definitely doesnt block out noise nearly as well as basically anything else…but, with music on, it doesn’t matter. Both do a fine job and I can’t here anything around me with music on.

Dec 29, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #2,797 of 5,212
I believe honestly that reviewers use noise simulations in their office most of the time as opposed to the standard of literally taking them anywhere to see how they work.

Finally traveling with the bathys and Px8 and yeah, the bathys ANC definitely doesnt block out noise nearly as well as basically anything else…but, with music on, it doesn’t matter. Both do a fine job and I can’t here anything around me with music on.
I for one (and WilJen) take the critters out and about for ANC testing. I also make a bloody good racket at my house for inside impressions.

I do know that Focal’s design goal was sound first, ANC if we have to. And it works. I too, wish they had a bit better ANC but know that their goal was to minimize sound disturbance likes others while providing the best sound possible. In that vein, I think they have succeeded.

Dec 29, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #2,798 of 5,212
I for one (and WilJen) take the critters out and about for ANC testing. I also make a bloody good racket at my house for inside impressions.

I do know that Focal’s design goal was sound first, ANC if we have to.
And it works. I too, wish they had a bit better ANC but know that their goal was to minimize sound disturbance likes others while providing the best sound possible. In that vein, I think they have succeeded.
Sounds like a bad excuse.

Dec 29, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #2,799 of 5,212
Sounds like a bad excuse.
I would disagree. If their goal was sound first, without denigrating their house sound; then they succeeded. The Bathys is not marketed as a top ANC performer and they know it.

To me, if one is looking for a top wireless headphone as your only headphone, then the Bathys wins to me. With the cable, it sounds darn near fantastic.

Which would I take? The ANC of the Px8 is hard to beat, but the sound is better in the Bathys imo, and I would go there.

Cheers.

Dec 29, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #2,800 of 5,212
I would disagree. If their goal was sound first, without denigrating their house sound; then they succeeded. The Bathys is not marketed as a top ANC performer and they know it.

To me, if one is looking for a top wireless headphone as your only headphone, then the Bathys wins to me. With the cable, it sounds darn near fantastic.

Which would I take? The ANC of the Px8 is hard to beat, but the sound is better in the Bathys imo, and I would go there.

Cheers.
My comment is loosely based on that B&W said the exact same thing when releasing the PX. It has an ANC that was a complete disappointment but it was argued that ”we did not want to destroy the superior sound…”.
Complete bull as they subsequently managed to source a decent qualcom chip for ANC and the PX8 sounds better than basically everything they have built in the past, save for the P9.

Dec 29, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #2,801 of 5,212

I’ve used my Bathys multiple times on the NYC subway. Yes not as good as the PX8 but better ANC than the H95. I can listen to music at ~65% and hear no subway noise. Guess we’ve had different experiences?

Dec 29, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #2,802 of 5,212
I’ve used my Bathys multiple times on the NYC subway. Yes not as good as the PX8 but better ANC than the H95. I can listen to music at ~65% and hear no subway noise. Guess we’ve had different experiences?
Fit and seal is everything.
I get a perfect seal with both PX8 and Bathys, not quite as good with H95 as I remember them. It makes a huge difference.
My wife even thought PX8 had better ANC than the Sony XM3 (which it definitely hasnt) but it turned out to be much because of the ear pads of PX8 being plusher and compensating for her hair getting in the way.

Dec 29, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #2,803 of 5,212

Cheers.

They have not succeeded

I’ve used my Bathys multiple times on the NYC subway. Yes not as good as the PX8 but better ANC than the H95. I can listen to music at ~65% and hear no subway noise. Guess we

Lucky you. Subway must be less jumpy a

nd noisy than a UK bu

amount of

’ve had different experiences?

Clearly. It's not just the

Fit and seal is everything.
I get a perfect seal with both PX8 and Bathys, not quite as good with H95 as I remember them. It makes a huge difference.
My wife even thought PX8 had better ANC than the Sony XM3 (which it definitely hasnt) but it turned out to be much because of the ear pads of PX8 being plusher and compensating for her hair getting in the way.
Fit and seal were fine, and pretty good passive isolation with the Bathys switched off. ANC just outright poor, both in reducing noise and in the susceptibility of either the ANC or the Bathys frame (or both) to bumps and shudders.

Dec 29, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #2,804 of 5,212
NYC subway must be less bumpy and more constant with noise than a UK bus journey. Buses shudder quite a bit and roads are less than smooth. Journeys do not trip up my Sennheiser M3s, Shure A50s (provided they are not on max setting) or Airpods Max. Performance with the Bathys was abysmal as it made the music unlistenable as the thumps/shudders were amplified and intrusive. If one were able to disable the ANC, that would have been better, but that is not at all possible.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #2,805 of 5,212
Fit and seal were fine, and pretty good passive isolation with the Bathys switched off. ANC just outright poor, both in reducing noise and in the susceptibility of either the ANC or the Bathys frame (or both) to bumps and shudders.
I agree that Bathys ANC is not much to write home about. Also weird that Focal thought users want to have it active all the time.
I find the ANC on PX8 to be quite good, i e doing its job (without reaching Sony level) but Bathys I would not recommend to anyone as a commuter or office landscape headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back