Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Oct 27, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #1,398 of 5,212
I will say if you can only own one pair of headphones for your entire collection…the bathys are probably a more economical and practical choice as they do offer the wired mode and expansiveness. The Px8 is a unique can with a unique sound. Personally love it, but you’re not gonna have slight opinions on it, it’s a love or hate type sound.
Agree, almost. I do appreciate the B&W sound in they it makes a lot of my favourite genres so much fun to listen to - something that an analytical headphone takes away. Its not fun to listen to distorted electric guitars, or warm female vocals on a headphone that needs a super hifi master to shine.
I have had these for over two weeks now (tan version) and think they are beautiful in both looks and build, sound great (don't class myself as an audiophile & tend to favour warm concert sound from the likes of Klipsch) and they are comfortable to wear for extended periods.

However, is anyone a little disappointed with the ANC? Obviously I know that you can get better elsewhere so wasn't expecting the best of the best. But all the reviews mention that it is good, and this review in particular tests them along a busy road and it seems to cut the noise substantially. My pair seem to dull noise slightly, but even constant noise (not been on an aeroplane recently so tested playing YouTube noise videos or standing near a fan) seems minimally reduced. Maybe it's the fit as I do wear glasses and I notice there is a gap where the bottom of the ear cushions don't sit flush against my jawline. Just wondered how effective they are for other people and whether I was just expecting too much or I am an outlier.
I find the ANC adequate, not great.
Not as good as Sony WH-1000XM3/4/5, but better than many competitors.
I do wear glasses but I still get a good seal.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #1,399 of 5,212
Unfortunately, my friend, it’s the glasses… I have one pair that I wear sometimes that do not let me create the seal and I get what you get. My pair that’s thinner? I get a seal and much better ANC
I've tried without wearing my glasses too though and don't notice much difference - they are thin framed ray bans. I have wondered if the shape of my jaw is more to blame in this instance as I can basically feel a gap at the bottom that no amount of adjustment can get rid of. I'll do more testing, it's just difficult to know how much sound they are supposed to reduce.

Oct 27, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #1,400 of 5,212
I've tried without wearing my glasses too though and don't notice much difference - they are thin framed ray bans. I have wondered if the shape of my jaw is more to blame in this instance as I can basically feel a gap at the bottom that no amount of adjustment can get rid of. I'll do more testing, it's just difficult to know how much sound they are supposed to reduce.
Well try pressing the cups towards your ears so you get a perfect seal for a moment.

Oct 27, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #1,402 of 5,212
Not even the 3s? Id hope they would be at that level at least
Well I dont quite think so. The Sonys are still excellent ANC cans and very effective in supressing much of outside noise.
But its not like the B&Ws dont do the job. They work well in most conditions I would say.
I have not yet flown with these but I think they will do a good job removing cabin noise.
Tried against my Sony WH-1000X3:
- Sony a little better at suppressing random irregular sounds in mid range (voices)
- Turning up my HVAC to annoying levels it is pretty much a draw between the two
- B&W does not appear to give any pressure on ears or create any unwanted effects, Sony might do that if youre sensitive (although I am fine with them)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #1,403 of 5,212
PX8. Can't stop using them. The battery will not let me stop using them. The BT connection has never broken. Just one more.....song or album...or discography?

Listen to Tidal ATMOS Immersive 360 - Outkast - Gangsta crap, and crank up the volume and bass a bit for big big sound

Then throw on some Herbie Hancock - Headhunters

then try the new Hagop Tchaparian album, Bolts

switch it up with some modern piano/symphony driven tunes by Ludovico Einaudi or Johann Johannsson

Really enjoying these cans

Really wonder what they would sound like if the drivers were farther away from ears.

Have a great day!!!!!!!!!

Oct 27, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #1,404 of 5,212
PX8. Can't stop using them. The battery will not let me stop using them. The BT connection has never broken. Just one more.....song or album...or discography?

Listen to Tidal ATMOS Immersive 360 - Outkast - Gangsta crap, and crank up the volume and bass a bit for big big sound

Then throw on some Herbie Hancock - Headhunters

then try the new Hagop Tchaparian album, Bolts

switch it up with some modern piano/symphony driven tunes by Ludovico Einaudi or Johann Johannsson

Really enjoying these cans

Really wonder what they would sound like if the drivers were farther away from ears.

Have a great day!!!!!!!!!
Like a warm bathys. Pun intended lol

Oct 27, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #1,405 of 5,212
Here’s the pics of them side by side. I just got the Bathys in. Have a 10am New York time meeting and then I’ll start playing with them. Random bonus pics as well…the wording in the side is funny to me. Motorities is a word I’ve never heard,8E4ECD64-A36F-416F-8C39-0A71355F0D0F.jpeg344DB602-9B21-439A-9C4E-C668A6D77E59.jpeg

The top photo really illustrates the much thicker headband padding on Px8 versus Bathys.

Oct 27, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #1,406 of 5,212
The top photo really illustrates the much thicker headband padding on Px8 versus Bathys.
It’s deceptive though to me…I don’t know, the earcups being so thick make the headband pressure less awful. Yeah it’s def not as thick but it’s wider so the physical pressure distribution is…better? Different? I don’t know. There’s not much difference in comfort.

Oct 27, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #1,407 of 5,212
I'm relatively new here, but I've noticed here and on the old B&O H95 thread, there always seem to be some kind of conflict between @angelom and the rest of the community of the "I'm right and you're wrong". It's getting kind of unproductive and the thread get derailed into toxic arguments. I guess I'm learning how to use the "Ignore" function as well.
That’s what I did…

Oct 28, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #1,408 of 5,212
I need some opinions from the group. I am having issues with the wear sensors, like others I guess. If I lift one earpiece, sometimes the music stops and sometimes it doesn't. If it does stop, it does not automatically resume when I place the earpiece back, I need to press the multifunction button to resume the music. If I take off the headphones altogether the music does stop, but when I put them back on, it also does not resume unless I press the multifunction button to resume the music. I contacted support at B&W and they gave me some things to try, all without success. They suggest I return the headphones, but I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble of doing that, as everything else with the headphones is great and it appears many others on here have different issues with the sensors. Plus B&W has no black ones currently, so I would likely have to wait a bit if I returned mine now. I'm not sure whether to go ahead and return and see if the next pair work better in terms of the sensors, or just live with it and keep these. Any opinions??

I am also having the same issue. Sometimes it pauses and sometimes not. Low to normal to high doesn’t seem to correct the problem. I have not yet contacted customer support but if there are that many having the issue, I am not sure that exchanging them will solve the problem. Other than that, however, I am loving the headphones. Comfortable fit and happy with the sound.

Oct 28, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #1,409 of 5,212
Well it doesnt say much, I think the padding on the PX8 is adequate but it is very soft, and underneath the padding it is hard, if you know what I mean. If you have a tendency to develop hot spots on your head this might be a problem. Not for me though.

Oct 28, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #1,410 of 5,212
Reading the thread I've learned that the sensitivity of the wear sensors can be adjusted, but can they be disabled altogether?
Also, I'm gonna start flying a lot more regularly for work soon, has anyone flown with the PX8? could the ANC level be at least in the same tier as something like the QC35? I still like my QC35, but the sound gets borring to me after a while. It didn't used to, but i think that's in part due to so many other BT headphones i own having better sq.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back