Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Oct 22, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #1,156 of 5,212
Juz kidding, and very off topic too; but I love the Time Capsule and am sorry to see it gone…

I’ve taken a lot on board from yourself and mainguy so a good part of next week will be spent on listening to a lot of test tracks (reread the entire thread and made a list, plus some of my own tracks too. Ofc) and trying to disarm your claim regarding the non-need for an external DAC.

I actually believe your statement stating they are not needed and not contributing to the listening experience, but I was born sceptic and that was accentuated by my schooling; so habits…

Anyway I’ll verify to myself that an iFi Go Bar is a waste, combined with the PX8, and can actually be up for sale :wink:

Cheers!
Lol I’m an attorney, so my day to day is arguing my point and that I’m right so I’m used to it lol

Oct 22, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #1,159 of 5,212
Oct 22, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #1,160 of 5,212
I compared the Airpods Max to Bathys and later pX8 to Bathys, I've since sold APM.

Both the PX8 & Bathys are a big step up sound wise from APM, imo. I don't think APM sound particularly good, I think Resolve's notion that technically they match a $100/£80 wired headphone is about right. Although you have an added aspect, which is the digital sound of APM. Hard to describe, you'll know when you hear it, instruments like acoustic guitar and classical ensembles just sound a bit artificial, same for vocals. Also the mid range generally on the APM sounds a bit hollow

P9.jpg
Last night I decided to test if B&Ws flagship still deserve their P9 title. After a few weeks with PX8 I was skeptical, as i'm enjoying them so much. But yes, I do think think the P9 takes much of what the PX8 does and turns the dial to 11. You get an even bigger soundstage than Bathys, more detail than both, an incredible mid range, wonderful clear treble. The bass can be a bit too much on the wrong song, on the right song it's like nothing else. PX8 is a bit more energetic, and definately tuned to favour that on the go vibe.

P9 sound huge compared to PX8 and Bathys. For movies at least the P9 is a totally different experience, and it's my headphone of choice for film & TV, getting grabbed over Clear or Stellia for that use case. I might do a review of the P9 soon as I think it's one of the best bargains on ebay right now, at least in the UK.
Do you know where in the US you can buy the PX9? Don’t see any on eBay.

Oct 23, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #1,164 of 5,212
For such a large 'features' section you'd have hoped they'd compare the ANC & transparency in a bit more detail.
Yes. I also get the sense that the author never even listened to the cans, just summarized a bunch of other reviews and comparisons such as the one you made. Basically nothing new, not even a few decent pictures.

Oct 23, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #1,167 of 5,212
Oct 23, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #1,168 of 5,212
The P9 is a very weird headphone to me. On one side, you have people who literally hate it, and on the other, you have people like Convince me Audio, tons of reviewers, etc, who love it. Some people have made the argument audiophiles dislike it, but not in my experience.

I struggle to figure out why. One part of me wondered if there are fakes floating around, or if there were two production runs. No way would anyone call the pair I've got muddy, or say the treble is lacking. It is close in detail to my Focal Clear, and significantly above Bathys/PX8 for detail in the treble region. I also had p7w, and I can say with dead certainty the P9 is technically on another level, it's noticably more detailed and spacious in it's presentation.

P9 remains a bit of a mystery to me. I know three people who bought pairs and absolutely adored them.

I think everyone should give it a go once.
Burn-in also plays a role in my opinion.
I never believed much in burn-in (I thought it was mostly you getting used to the sound signature) until I got the P9
It sounded so weird initially, with a strange hump on the low mids. It is hard to explain but it was sounding so weird.
I listened to it for a while and almost gave up. Then I left it alone, playing loud music for 8 hrs a day for 5-6 days.
I tested it again and it was much better!
That strange tonality in the mids was gone.
Sure the sound signature is bold, with thick bass and midbass, but it also has crisp hights and most of all 3d imaging air and space, which I could not find in the P7w (that I sold afterwards).
It creates a sort of sphere of sound around your head. The other headphones that made me feel this are the T1 and T1 2nd gen. Might be an effect of the angled drivers.
So it might be that different people/reviewers got them with different numbers of burn-in hrs. Also, the seal is fundamental. Use it with glasses and It sounds much different

Oct 23, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #1,170 of 5,212
For those interested in the bathys,he mention them in the end of the video.

I'm actually surprised that he let go of the Radiance for the Bathys. I knew he was a big fan of the Radiance that he bought his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back