Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Sep 6, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #4,397 of 5,215
I usually buy my gear with my own money, cash up front. 😜

I'm not sure where you are but there's absolutely no point doing that in the UK. Handset deals are more attractive with carriers and on 0% finance.
Why pay more and withdraw money from accounts making interest? That's not financial sense to me.

Sep 6, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #4,398 of 5,215
I'm not sure where you are but there's absolutely no point doing that in the UK. Handset deals are more attractive with carriers and on 0% finance.
Why pay more and withdraw money from accounts making interest? That's not financial sense to me
Well I am in Sweden and it is also very common to get the handset via the carrier but it is not cheaper.
I do get my phone from my employer but my kids and wife all get cash phones and then a basic carrier plan for less than 8$/month.

Sep 6, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #4,399 of 5,215
Sure but as you know there is an USB-C cable too… 🥸

But then I don't get the APTX connection report.

I'll have to check what the Amazon App says with the USB but as I never use it I wasn't really interested.

Sep 6, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #4,400 of 5,215
Well I am in Sweden and it is also very common to get the handset via the carrier but it is not cheaper.
I do get my phone from my employer but my kids and wife all get cash phones and then a basic carrier plan for less than 8$/month.

For my Xperia list is £1299. At time of purchase Sony and most retailers had an offer on for £1150

EE (UK Carrier) were £950 and a free vlogging setup and monitor which I will never use. Interest free plan over 24 or 36 months but you can pay that up at anytime if you wish. That's when bought in conjunction with a 24 month SIM deal (Same price whether you have the phone or not)
EE are probably the most expensive network in the UK for SIM's but they do have by far the biggest and fastest 5G network.

Sep 6, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #4,401 of 5,215
Sure but as you know there is an USB-C cable too… 🥸

Well this is strange.

Amazon App reports 24/96 with APTX Adaptive and 24/48 with usb cable ??????

Sep 6, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #4,402 of 5,215
Well this is strange.

Amazon App reports 24/96 with APTX Adaptive and 24/48 with usb cable ??????
Yeah that is weird indeed. Question is if you (or anyone) hear the difference.

Sep 6, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #4,404 of 5,215
As I mentioned earlier in the thread for me USB-C and atpx adaptive is so close I never use USB.

Not to mention that the cable noise alone (friction etc) would destroy any potential improvement anyway unless you sit 100% still.

I mean, it is all a matter of perspective I guess. But most people would not be able to tell the difference in a true A/B test between AAC/AptX/AptX HD/AptX Adaptive. Most people listen to loudness war-music and have yet to experience a clean and well mastered recording played on decent equipment.

And most people probably think all of us are morons for spending more than 100$ on a headphone…

Sep 6, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #4,405 of 5,215
See below for a link to my initial impressions. Have a newborn that is only a few days old and also dealing with first week of school so unfortunately can't rehash everything but my opinion hasn't really changed, except that after the v 3.0 firmware update, I did change my EQ settings. I have settled on 0db treble and -2 dB bass for now on my Px8 (based on my own preferences).

Post in thread 'Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion' https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bowers-and-wilkins-px8-wireless-discussion.964955/post-17273499
Interesting that you got the black color in both models. I'm considering getting the PX7 S2 as well out of curiosity and the fact that I'm planning on buying a couple as gifts for friends and would like to experience what they'll be hearing. I'm aIso a little worried about messing up the nice leather on the PX8 for outdoor use. Especially now with the heat wave we're having. I like the PX7 S2s bright blue color and they are also different enough from the PX8 007 midnight blue that I already have. I also have the PI7 S2 in black although I came very close to getting blue in that model as well. Maybe I should have since blue is my favorite color.

I've only recently just heard of B&W a few weeks ago and I've become a fan of their house sound. These are my first bluetooth headphones outside a pair of Sony WF-1000 XM4s I got last year so I haven't had much to compare . Prior to that it's been mostly wired Westone iems which I would probably still be using exclusively if phones were still being made with headphone jacks. I didn't think bluetooth codecs could come anywhere near a wired connection but for portable use the gap is definitely closing.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #4,406 of 5,215
Chasing the best sound possible - it’s a slippery slope. And what you posted resonates with me. Probably you will not listen to anyone here and proceed with buying whatever it takes to get you the best sound possible with the px8.. only to have the next itch months down the lane.. what if I should try what the wired world has to offer and ditch bluetooth?

All the best. I think am 6 months to an year ahead of you in this chase. It’s not pretty and my wallet hates me.

Remember this - you bought a px8 for the best convenient sound experience. PX8 is a fantastic headphone and gives that in spades in the iPhone and the Samsung Galaxy. I cannot recommend to move to an Xperia to get adaptive or LDAC. If the Xperia will be your primary phone - you will be missing out on features/convenience (hard to use camera apps - even basic/auto mode doesn’t have parity with galaxy and iphones, for example). And if xperia would be a secondary phone, you are sacrificing convenience by having to lug around 2 phones. And if you decide to, its time to buy a decent dap and go wired.

no hate on the xperia and i am not an old man complaining about hard to use apps, am just a 35yo who has tried out 3 different phones this yr in the chase for codecs and decide to take the red pill (dap, wired headphones and iems)
A slippery slope indeed. I'm already looking into what's out there in the wired headphone world. Although I was being pulled towards the Xperia I came to my senses and decided to stick with my Galaxy S22 plus. The sound I get from that phone even with the basic Apt-x is good enough for portable use and I'm not ready to give up the features of the Samsung or the inconvenience of carrying around two phones for a marginal increase in sound quality. To be honest, I think my days of carrying around a phone as well as a dap and wired iems has come to an end for me.

Sep 6, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #4,408 of 5,215
Had a revelation today: getting a haircut increases the soundstage!! 🤩
If you shave your head, you reach very close to getting wired like hi-res quality stage, layering and resolution.

Sep 7, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #4,409 of 5,215
If you shave your head, you reach very close to getting wired like hi-res quality stage, layering and resolution.
Dont forget to trim the inside of your ears!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back