Bowers and Wilkins P7 vs. Nad VISO HP50 – I can't decide!
Dec 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

TheAnderman

New Head-Fier
I'm having a really tough time deciding between these two, I hope someone who has heard both can help me out.

I've listened quite extensively to the P7 and compared it to the Sennheiser Momentum (I can't get my hands on a set of HP50s locally) – I prefer the P7 by quite a bit. I'm going to give my, admittedly amateur, impressions of both so you can get an idea of what kind of sound I like.

Treble
The treble on the P7 is a bit bright for my taste, but it sounds really nice and articulate once you get used to it. It never seems to get too harsh, though, it's like it comes right up to the threshold and stops, so it's definitely something I could live with. The Momentum on the other hand is nice, full and warm. It sounds great on metal recordings – I like it.

Midrange
The midrange on the P7 feels a bit hollowed out. Vocals definitely take a step back in a way that they don't with the Momentum – I don't mind it, though.

Bass
I found the bass a bit boomy on the Momentum, and it really seemed to spill over into the mids and muddy up the mix. The P7 on the other hand had nice, smooth bass with enough punch when necessary – I liked it quite a bit more than the Momentum.

Openness/clarity
I found the P7 to be much more open than the Momentum. The instruments in the P7 also sounded like they were a lot more distinctly separated than with the Momentum, everything seemed clearer and more precise.

Build quality
I definitely prefer the all leather and metal construction of the P7.

Fit
The Momentum's earcups are a problem for me – they just don't fit over my ear. The P7's fit I have no problem with.

I've heard a lot of great things about the HP50, but I just don't know if they're for me.
• I'm pretty sure that they beat the P7 in the treble and midrange, but how does the bass compare?
• Also, how is the construction? Do they feel solid, do the glossy ear cups scratch easily?
• How do you feel about the look of the HP50s when you're wearing them? Do you look like an astronaut?

Thanks a lot for any advice you can give me!

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 16
Sorry to say but I can't help you as I'm in a similar predicament... instead I'm going to annoy your further and throw the Focal Spirit Professional into the mix .lol.

I'm busy trying to decide between the P7, the VModa M100 and the Focal Pro.... am kind of ousting the P7 as they're a bit obnoxious, a bit too much to wear when out and about visually speaking. The Focal's have got me in a twist at the moment and I'm leaning toward them.

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #4 of 16
.lol. Its sounding like a really good headphone, there's a range of Focal headphones out, the Pros are their studio pair, have a flat response... for me this is good as I like to mess with EQ settings and use a mixing desk as part of my set up at home... not sure what source player you're using the headphones with.... there's also those other ones... can't remember the name... will post back in a bit...

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 16
That's it... ADL H118 (click link)

Have been trying to make up my mind between these lot,

B&W P7
Momentums
V Moda M100
Focal Spirit Pro
ADL H118
NAD HP50
B&O H6
Onkyo ES-HF300

Even the VK1 Aedle's.

Might be a few you haven't considered there... really comes down to what type of music you're going to be putting through them, I'm leaning toward the Focal Pros at the moment but the V Modas are a must at some point, can't beat them for that off to the gym feel good factor... thinking the Aedle's would be a fashion pair, if I'm going out someplace and need to show off I can put them on or something .lol.

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #7 of 16
... is the same problem with most of them .lol. Would have to try them and send them back. Thinking about a trip to paris soon, if I go I'd pass by and would probably end up with a pair. Might be worth buying the focals out there thinking about it.

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 16
Hi--Just got a pair of the NAD, and will be returning them because even with my average to small ears, the cups were just too small. I never got around to checking the sound, they were so uncomfortable.

Aug 24, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #11 of 16
wat y u necro bump tho

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #13 of 16
HP50 is for you then by most accounts.
You should probably just make the reason for a bump as your bump, jus' sayin'.

Aug 24, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #14 of 16
The HP50 has brighter treble than the P7. Also slightly more bass, though the bass texture is solid and there's plenty of slam. Build-quality wise, the P7 scores an easy win. Both are good headphones, with the P7 tuned to be a little more neutral and the HP50 tuned to be a little more fun.

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #15 of 16
  The HP50 has brighter treble than the P7. Also slightly more bass, though the bass texture is solid and there's plenty of slam. Build-quality wise, the P7 scores an easy win. Both are good headphones, with the P7 tuned to be a little more neutral and the HP50 tuned to be a little more fun.

I think you mixed up the two, the HP50 is the more neutral can (P7 is v-shaped), it's still a bit warm for my tastes but the mids and bass are great for a portable, if only it had the beautifully extended treble and soundstage of the P7, and most importantly if it was comfortable I would not have returned mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back