Bower & Wilkins VS Shure VS Audio-Technica VS Sennheiser VS Beats by Dr. Dre
May 17, 2012 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Big Mike

New Head-Fier
So as you can read from the title, I am debating on which kind of headphones will be my next purchase. I currently have the Yao Studio Beats by Dr. Dre and I love these headphones because of the bass it offers (I'm a bass head). I know they're better and less expensive headphones out there that can surpass the sound quality of my current Studios, and I'm leaning more over to the Sennheiser headphones.

I don't like Shure srh440 because they sound to flat. I've used them at church to listen to the sound quality and compared them to the Studios and the Studios outperform the srh440 (this is all opinion based). 

I have never listened to Bower & Wilkins though they claim to have some of the best headphones out there. The same thing goes for Audio-Technica, although I have read that this company was one of the first (correct me if I'm wrong).

Beats by Dr. Dre headphones are the ones I have and I have used the Solo's, Studios and Pro's, and by far the worst one was the Solo. Poor build quality, but almost overpowering bass (which I somewhat liked). Pro's are too heavy yet durable, making them bad for portablility, and the sound quality is not the best. The Studios I like because it averages out the sound good. Not overpowering bass that can cover the vocals, guitar, piano etc.

The music I listen to ranges from Christian rock, techno, electronic, dubstep, rap/hip-hop and anything else in between.I have always loved bass, which is one reason why I got the Studios, apart from the design of the headphones (I currently have the Yao Studio edition and they look amazing).

I have been reading more and more about Sennheiser and I want to say that I will get  these headphones , but I have no idea which Sennheiser headphones I would get.

The headphones I would like to get need to be Noise-Canceling because I need to block out the most amount of noise around me (the Studios don't block out much noise) but at the same time give me the bass punch that I know can beat the Studios. The headphones that I will get will be used on a daily basis to listen on my iPod and also be used to listen to sound quality at church (drums, piano, vocals, etc).

Please comment and leave me your suggestions please!!!

Thanks and God bless you all!!!

May 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #2 of 8
I would not recommend the Sennheisers, given your liking for the headphones you currently own.

I am not sure if you are looking for just closed headphones (passive noise cancellation) or are actually looking for active noise cancellation (requiring batteries) headphones?

There are some excellent closed headphones such as the AKG550 that will offer quality bass.

May 17, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #3 of 8
Active noise cancelling, like what the Studios provide, tends to affect how the headphones sound(not in a good way), though I'm not really into the technicality of it.

I've always found closed cans to be of sufficient isolation from background noise on my daily commute, which includes a train ride in the subway.

A couple of basshead cans I've tried and liked would be ATH-PRO700MKII and Ultrasone HFI-580.

May 17, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 8
Sound isolation I have tried with the Solo's, and active noise cancellation is what I currently have and use with the Studios. Either is good for me knowing that sound isolation is better to cancel out outside noise and active noise cancellation adds a sound to the headphones. I still personally prefer active noise cancellation because I focus in the music I listen to more for some reason lol. I still also prefer to have over the ear, rather than on ear. On ear headphones make my ears hurt, while I have no problem with over ear headphones.

May 18, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Are the V-Modas hard on the ears? In other words, do they start to hurt after a while compared to the Studios?

I am not a bass head, but my sennheiser hd 380 pro have an amazing amount of balance with a slight bass hump and upper mid hump, making them very enjoyable to listen to. ATH-M50 are good too, but I like the Sennheiser's sound more. Vmoda Crossfade LP are not in the same league as the ATH and the 380. I had the Solos, hated them. Try Ultrasones. I had a pair of Ultrasones, and really liked them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back