Bourbon suggestions?
Apr 21, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #17 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges
if jim beam is mentioned how can jack daniels not be considered in the same category, and if it's not, sorry for not being a pro at identifying liquor, sorry for the mistake, i won't make that mistake twice with you again, sorry just trying to help, drink away ya lush, one good turn deserves another, sorry for not having such a high class pallet for your high end taste in liquor. by the way scotch tastes like **** to me, so there!

woah there cowboy, get angry! LOL

Jim Beam is made in Kentucky, JD is made in Tennessee,
Bourbon County is in Kentucky. Piece together this complicated puzzle
biggrin.gif

Just teasin!

i'm just asking a question about Bourbon specifically, and i wanted people's opinion. my opinion is that JD is horrible, i can't stand it.
i want a good bourbon to put in a nice cocktail glass, sip it and chill in the sun. dats all!

Apr 21, 2004 at 6:24 AM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
i am totally unsatisfied with Knob Creek, Maker's Mark, and Wild Turkey

my price range is 20-30 bucks

my favorite bourbon is Elijah Craig, but i can't get it in vermont
frown.gif

help me out here, whiskey guys and gals!

Well, my friend, you have come to the right place. If there is anything in the world that I have (more than) my fair share of experience with, it is bourbon. And no one loves it more than I do.

First of all, if you haven't already, I suggest that you read publications and expert reviews from the Tastings Institute and whatnot. Some of these guys are very good at what they do, and...well, tasters from Tastings will occasionally have massive blind tastings (read: like 80+ bourbons blind tested). Anyway, they know their stuff, and I really do suggest reading reviews to help with your search.

But enough of that—here are my own recommendations (I will give prices that reflect my own personal experience; YMMV).

$12.50 - 13.50: Old Forester. Hands down the best value at this price. If you want to spend under $15 for a bottle of bourbon but still demand quality, then this is a no-brainer. Old Forester is relatively inexpensive because it is aged for only four years. But don't let that scare you off—this is a quality bourbon, and you won't regret trying it. Old Forester is also considered the classic Old Fashioned bourbon, if that happens to be your drink. It is not nearly as sweet as you might expect from a young, inexpensive bourbon. It has a very nice flavor and certainly has no equal at this price point. (86 proof)

<$17.00 - $20.00: Dickel 12. OP, you may already disagree with me on this one, but I think Dickel 12 is the best bourbon in this price range. Now don't get me wrong; Elijah Craig is some good stuff. It is also slightly stronger and tends to be just slightly less expensive (where I live) than Dickel. But in spite of what you might hear elsewhere, I can tell you that Dickel 12 is a much drier and more unique bourbon than Craig; I strongly prefer it. It is simply delicious, and is a pretty good value in the ~$20 price range. Although some will surely disagree, I feel that Elijah 12 tastes like a higher quality version of an "average" bourbon, while Dickel 12 has more personality and a drier taste that is much more pleasurable. FYI, Tastings rated Craig 12 like one point above Dickel 12; so if you disagree with me on this one, you aren't alone. (90 proof)

$40.00+ (rye is less): Old Rip Van Winkle. For special occasions, you need to find an ORVW distributor. That is all I'm going to say...it is, simply, the mother of all bourbons. (varies)

So...this list looks pretty damn short, doesn't it? That is because I happen to agree with you about the standard $20-30 bourbons; they just aren't worth it. Knob Creek was a favorite of mine when I was younger and had less experience. But, while it is pretty good and crazy strong, it sure ain't worth ~$27. Maker’s Mark and Turkey are also overpriced—so is Woodford. It has been awhile since I've had either of them, but—from what I remember—I actually prefer Knob to Woodford (neither of them is worth the price). They are similar.

Well, I hope this may help you some. Of the bourbons I recommended, Dickel is obviously the closest in price to Craig. But I should warn you that Craig and Dickel have very, very different tastes. I certainly cannot promise that you will prefer Dickel, even though I do. Good luck to you, and let us know how your search goes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
As a zen master might say: "Please unask the question."
Good Bourbon is a contradiction of terms. No wonder you're not satisfied.
For me, if it's whisky it's Scotch. I know you said no Scotch so I won't recommend any.
Sorry if this isn't helpful. I just couldn't resist. I'd rather drink dog piss or a wine cooler or sweet vermouth. Well maybe not a wine cooler.

Well, that is because you are a poser. You probably sit around sipping your craptacular Johnnie Walker Red as if you actually know something about liquor. Your frat brothers might be impressed, but I’m not. I’d bet anything that you’ve never even tasted ORVW, so just ****. I know we are supposed to be impressed that you drink cheap scotch; but we aren’t. If you had half-a-clue about liquor, you would know that there is kick-ass bourbon in the world, and that not all bourbon taste like candy.

Apr 21, 2004 at 12:56 PM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicalMan
Well, that is because you are a poser. You probably sit around sipping your craptacular Johnnie Walker Red as if you actually know something about liquor. Your frat brothers might be impressed, but I’m not. I’d bet anything that you’ve never even tasted ORVW, so just ****. I know we are supposed to be impressed that you drink cheap scotch; but we aren’t. If you had half-a-clue about liquor, you would know that there is kick-ass bourbon in the world, and that not all bourbon taste like candy.

I was just poking fun and I believe Sleepkyng took it as such.
You're hysterical.
CPW

Apr 21, 2004 at 2:46 PM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkclouds
Some one tell me the difference between bourbon, scotch and whiskey.

Bourbon is made from corn, while Irish whiskey and Scotch is made from malt. The malt is heated as part of the manufacturing process, and in Scotland, the heating is traditionally done using peat, which gives Scotch whisky its "smokey" flavour (and although the "smokiness" varies with brands, it's always there). In Ireland, most destilleries do not use peat for heating, so Irish whiskey is almost never "smokey" in flavour.

"Whiskey" is either an Irish or an American product. Scotch is always spelled "Whisky" (some American brands do this as well).

Single malt whisk(e)y is only made from malt, while blended whisky contains some proportion of grain spirits (distilled from grain that is not malt, usually wheat because it's the cheapest)

If you want to try out a good single malt that is not too smokey and not too expensive, look for "Highland Park" 12yo
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Apr 21, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #21 of 45
My recommendation is don't drink bourbon. I love the taste, but I swear I get the worst hangovers from bourbon.

Me, I like Jim Beam. But now I'm gonna try Old Forester. MechanicalMan sounds as if he knows what of he speaks!

Apr 22, 2004 at 2:47 AM Post #24 of 45
uh? i don't quite catch your drift there old pa

i don't remember being addled about firearms.
i'm pretty content with my stance on the subject

don't really know how this in any way relates to bourbon?

does bourbon and guns go hand in hand? do i need a gun to enjoy bourbon?

quite confused here, really.

Apr 22, 2004 at 3:19 PM Post #26 of 45
i guess what i'm asking is,

what positive contribution are you making here?
i'm asking for suggestions about bourbon.
sorry, your patronizing comments aren't really appropriate here. If you feel that I shouldn't drink, well I appreciate that you care about me, but if that's really important to you, go ahead and email me, privately and we can talk about your perception of the potential harm in my drinking bourbon.
if that's not the case, then i fail to see why you decided to contribute to this thread at all?

i probably don't have the mental capacity to understand your higher level of comments so please: dumb things down and spell them out for me.
if your comments have some worth in them and i'm overlooking them, please let me know!

Nov 26, 2004 at 1:38 AM Post #27 of 45
I also seem to be taking the Scotch road, but I have discovered a GREAT bourbon. It is the Hirsch 16 y.o--about $70.

It is sweet, oakey, and incredibly complex. There are hints of mint, anise, and all kinds of good stuff, but with a very long, bourbony finish.

I see it around sometimes, but is seems the last bottling was in 1974 or some such and it is never coming back. :frowning2:

Nov 26, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #28 of 45
thanks for starting this thread, I really wanted to ask about kentucky bourbon in the scotch thread.
Has anyone tried pappy van winkle? I think they were even rated in wine spectator.
anyway, the one name I hear a lot is Blanton's. of courses, there's your makers mark and knob creek. I see lots of yuppies drinking them.
heard rebel yell is good for the money.
Don't JD make a nice version in Gentleman Jack which is totally different than regular jack daniels.
Didn't have any bourbon today, today was strictly wine day.

Nov 26, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #29 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkclouds
Some one tell me the difference between bourbon, scotch and whiskey.

I've just recieved a bottle of 18 year old Jameson Irish. I haven't tried it yet as I'm not a big whiskey guy.

Scotch is Whisky.
Irish is Whiskey
And bourbon is only from Kentucky
Jack Daniels is "sour mash" whiskey from Tennesee

Whiskey: Spirit distilled from fermented grain mash, stored and aged in oak or other wood containers. This spelling is proper for American, Canadian and Irish whiskies.

Whisky: The proper spelling for Scotch whisky, including blended and single malt.

The word whiskey or whisky is a corruption of the Erse or Gaelic uisge beatha, the water of life. In French this is eau-de-vie, and it generally refers to any distilled spirit, from cognac and armagnac to Poire William to slivovitz (Hungarian sloe (plum) eau de vie, similar to the French Mirabelle). Also, all brandies are eaux-de-vie as well, by virtue of being distilled.

Brandy: 1657, abbreviation of brandywine (1622) from Du. brandewijn "burnt wine," so called because it is distilled (cf. Ger. cognate Branntwein and Czech palenka "brandy," from paliti "to burn").

Nov 26, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #30 of 45
BlindTiger said:
Has anyone tried pappy van winkle? I think they were even rated in wine spectator.
QUOTE]

I have a bottle of the Pappy VanWinkle. Most I've ever paid for a single bottle of alcohol (Right around $100). Very very good. In fact, it stopped my search for 'the best bourbon'. Of all the bourbons I've tried, (and that's been a large number of them - I probably have 20 or so different kinds at the moment.) nothing came close, to my tastes, to the Pappy. Everyone who tried it was simply amazed, and at least one person, who 'hates' bourbon, had a 'WOW' experience over it - they had tried about 6 or 7 of my best bourbons in a blind-tasting, and hated them all but the Pappy.

Some places (like Lee's Discount Liquor in Vegas) carry the whole line of Rip VanWinkle - but here in Oregon, I can only find an occasional single item here and there. You can buy it online if that option is legal in your state. All of their Bourbons are very good, and I highly recommend them, in moderation, of course!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back