Bought used speakers, arrived marred . . .
Nov 4, 2010 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Shike

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright, here's what's happened.

I recently purchased a used pair of NHT Classic Two speakers for $360 total, and it was advertised as "very good, like new". The speakers arrived today and have quite a bit of scratches that would obviously impact resale value should I decide to upgrade or change in the future (not to mention it didn't fit the description).

I asked the seller about them and he's willing to offer a discount making them $330 or a complete refund (I pay return shipping). What do you guys think is the best choice / other ideas opinions?

(most of the white speckling should be ignored, it's just debris my camera picked up).

Nov 4, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
Try rubbing the scratches out with Brasso. Those cabinets look like plastic, so it should work. If it does, take the $30.

It's not plastic, here's what NHT says  about the finish:

Quote:
The cabinet is made with MDF . . . NHT finishes them with seven coats of hand-finished polyurethane applied in a "solid particle" method that's safe for the environment. This finish is then sealed with two coats of automotive grade clear-coat to protect the finish . . .

Just to add context, the cheapest Demo's I could find of the Classic Twos are $420 + $40 shipping.  New they cost $500 shipped.

Nov 4, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
Just to add context, the cheapest Demo's I could find of the Classic Twos are $420 + $40 shipping.  New they cost $500 shipped.

are these the same speakers? > sorry that was for a single speaker. my bad 
redface.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 14
Are you going to wear them, or listen to them? Hit the scratches with a  magic marker and LISTEN.

Nov 4, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 14
You could touch them up with paint then wetsand them smooth if you wanted.

Personally, I'd ignore the scratches and enjoy the speakers.

However, I am endlessly thankful for audiophiles' persnickety attention to the most minor of flaws.

It has saved me an enormous amount of money.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 14
You can use something like Meguiars ScratchX and finish it with some fine auto wax, this should take care of the finer scratches and give a wonderful finish. It has worked wonders on several items for me. Overall, atleast from your pics, it doesnt look too bad, as long as the drivers look new and it plays fine, I'd not be too worried about it.

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
You can use something like Meguiars ScratchX and finish it with some fine auto wax, this should take care of the finer scratches and give a wonderful finish. It has worked wonders on several items for me. Overall, atleast from your pics, it doesnt look too bad, as long as the drivers look new and it plays fine, I'd not be too worried about it.

That's the thing, it wouldn't be a problem if they didn't sound so damn good.
tongue.gif

I'll see if I can get him to throw on the cost of a scratch repair kit in the discount.  If he does that I'd have no qualms keeping them.

Nov 5, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
If the speaker work keep it, are you sure the scratches do not come from delivery ?

Positive it wasn't delivery that did it, though I wonder who packed them since he couldn't ship due to a broken arm.  They may have occurred then.

The good news however is that he bumped the discount to $45 so I could buy a scratch removing kit (thanks for the ideas Erik, jilgiljongiljing!).  I bought a Turtle Wax automotive scratch remover kit since it also included wet sanding material, clear coat pen, and a paint clarifying compound.  Just using the basic paint clarifying compound took out the large white scratches on the second image.  The first image, some were taken out . . . I tried the wet sanding material it came with with little success.  For the most part though many got knocked out.

The other cheapest place I could find them was $430 open box from OneCall for a pair, and $550 new.  23% off Onecall's price and 40% off new.  Not too bad IMO.
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #12 of 14
Get your money back those speakers have been abused. You could end up with more problems then they are worth. If that buyer said they werte mint he should reimburse you for the speakers and if he does not let the feedback reflect. that. Did yopu see any pictures before buying them? Its a shame but I would not accept them.

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
Get your money back those speakers have been abused. You could end up with more problems then they are worth. If that buyer said they werte mint he should reimburse you for the speakers and if he does not let the feedback reflect. that. Did yopu see any pictures before buying them? Its a shame but I would not accept them.

Talk about a thread revival, this was handled like fifteen days ago.

Read the thread before responding.  Everything has already been handled.  The seller (you said buyer, I don't know What why) offered a full refund which leads me to believe it happened during packing.  The speakers sound and perform just find though, so it's not a big deal.  I also used wax and knocked out the huge white marks . . . marks that looks like they were probably made when UPS packaged them.

@ Gradoman

The finish is actually an automotive finish on MDF.  As long as I don't go below the lowest level of gloss coat there's no issues.  I haven't, and took out most of the scratches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back