Bought STAX SR-404 LIMITED Then What?
Dec 11, 2009 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Seamaster

Headphoneus Supremus
Just bought STAX SR-404 LIMITED 2 min ago for $711 USD shipped. What GOOD options for amp? I can't spend X thousands of dollars like RSA A-10, or Headamp BH anything like that. Thanks for help.

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #4 of 34
hmm... i emailed them. their answers on when they would have the item in stock were not straightforward. could be a long wait.

Dec 11, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #6 of 34
My pessimistic guess is that they never stock up there. It's a limited run, I wonder how many have they sold already?

Dec 11, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
elusivedisc.com

SUB TOTAL : $694.99
TAX : $0.00
SHIPPING : $16.11
TOTAL : $711.10

It is a preorder, which means they don't have in stock yet.

Friendly advice...cancel the order or you will never have to worry about the amp! Every month for the last 3 months they have been bumping the delivery time. I have a spare set on order there and have given up on ever seeing them.

Reorder from one of the Japanese ebay venders that actually have them for a little bit more as you really don't want to miss the boat on these! I LOVE mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

For an amp, the SRM-717 is about as PERECT as it gets and delivers everything from slam to liquidity and air. For a more affordable amp, an SRM-T1 is a good choice.

Dec 12, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Friendly advice...cancel the order or you will never have to worry about the amp! Every month for the last 3 months they have been bumping the delivery time. I have a spare set on order there and have given up on ever seeing them.

Reorder from one of the Japanese ebay venders that actually have them for a little bit more as you really don't want to miss the boat on these! I LOVE mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

For an amp, the SRM-717 is about as PERECT as it gets and delivers everything from slam to liquidity and air. For a more affordable amp, an SRM-T1 is a good choice.

Note taken, called them today canceled the order.Then I bought a pair at amazon.co.jp for $622.77 USD, ship out in 6~10 days, and shipping free tax free to my friend's house in Japan. Then she is going ship to me. I am very happy. Thanks guys!
biggrin.gif

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B9%E3...0588201&sr=8-2

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Aren't you glad I sold you my pair instead of returning them to Elusive Disc? I just needed the money to help pay for the Woo WES amp for my O2, HE60 and Jade or I would not have sold mine. WES even has an HE90 jack for when you loan me your HE90...
tongue.gif

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't you glad I sold you my pair instead of returning them to Elusive Disc? I just needed the money to help pay for the Woo WES amp for my O2, HE60 and Jade or I would not have sold mine. WES even has an HE90 jack for when you loan me your HE90...
tongue.gif

Dirty Larry, you should sell them to me. Ha ha
biggrin.gif
Then I don't have to running around like a fly without head. There are somebody like the 404LE better than O2, what do you think? What's your amp of choice without mega bucks? Thank you very much.

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dirty Larry, you should sell them to me. Ha ha
biggrin.gif
Then I don't have to running around like a fly without head. There are somebody like the 404LE better than O2, what do you think? What's your amp of choice without mega bucks? Thank you very much.

I thought the SR-404LE were closer to the O2 than other Lambdas, and somewhat dark sounding vs my SR-Lambda. I liked them, but Dinan bought them from me after RMAF so that I could have more money to put towards the WES amp.

I think a good amp without spending megabucks is the eXStatA but that is still in beta testing. It was even good enough for the O2 Mk1. Another good one is the SRM-T1 if you aren't using the O2. For O2 the SRM-717 would be my choice for budget stat amp, as I felt the SRM-T1 wasn't quite up to the task (nor was the SRM-1 Mk2 Pro).

Dec 12, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #14 of 34
x2 on the 717. I found a used 717 on eBay a while back, and it is perfect with the original 404s and the Lambda Sigs. Really really good in fact. Used 717 has got to be the way to go IMHO.

If you drive it balanced be careful with the cable, pins 2/3 were flipped from what I expected. Some mods were posted here a few months ago to eliminate the crappy bal/se switch.

Dec 12, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on the 717. I found a used 717 on eBay a while back, and it is perfect with the original 404s and the Lambda Sigs. Really really good in fact. Used 717 has got to be the way to go IMHO.

If you drive it balanced be careful with the cable, pins 2/3 were flipped from what I expected. Some mods were posted here a few months ago to eliminate the crappy bal/se switch.

Could you explain more on the pin 2/3 thing? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back