Bought Radiohead: Ok Computer
Jan 2, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #46 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by oak3x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got a copy of Radiohead's OK Computer for Christmas...it's an interesting listen. Some of the songs are composed and have a similar sound as U2...a band which I am fond of.

Only difference is some of the vocals / singing on OK Computer is simply awful. Whiny vocals on some tracks requires skipping to the next song.

Ordered In Rainbows...which hopefully will be better. If not, it's time to petition for a new lead singer

C'mon man...most great music takes a little getting used to...especially distinctive voices (ie thom yorke, arcade fire, modest mouse, joy division, bjork, sigur ros, bob dylan, beck, the pixies). Give it a little time and it'll probably be one of your favorite bands in a year or so. But there is no way the vocals are 'simply aweful.'

Jan 2, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #47 of 49
^x2

yeah, no way the vocals are simply awful. I know it is subjective, but just because the man doesn't sound like michael bolton (had to throw him out) or your typical rock voice, doesn't make him bad. Hell... Tom Waits is one of my favorite vocalists and.... I really don't need to explain his voice, it simply must be heard.

Just saying to have an open mind, because I feel that Thom Yorke's voice perfectly capture the emotional context and feel of Radiohead's songs.

Jan 2, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #48 of 49
Maybe awful was the wrong choice of words to describe the vocals on "some" of the songs on OK Computer.

I have a pretty diverse music collection of different styles and artists. Additionally, I am always "searching" for new music...or artists in which I am not familiar with. Based on this notion, and also the frequent recommendations from members here in the forum, I purchased two Radiohead CD's and two Dream Theater. After a handful of listens, I am not saying these bands jump out at me as being anything special...but I will continue to play the CD's.

Many of my favorite CD's today are ones which I did not like initially at first

Users who are viewing this thread

Back