Bought IE8 IEM and I am very disappointed I need help
Feb 21, 2010 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

shannow

New Head-Fier
Hello ,

I was after some IEM because my New Mp3 player doesn't provide a lot of power . I own a ATH-A900 headphone that I like a lot but lacks a little bit of volume on the mp3 player ... So after some research and all I got the IE8 sennheiser IEMs thinking it was like the CX-300 that I have but better and with more clarity ...
Unfortunaly the IE8 sound is far too close to these cx-300 ... it is clearer and a bit richer but it definaly has the same signature ... I have run the IE8 for now 2 days non stop on a separate computer and absolutely no change what so ever ... the sound is dreadful on anything but jazz or any soft music .
On orchestral music or heavy metal it is just painful to listen ... the bass just spoils the sub basses impact and details and everything else on the spectrum for that mater ... (I have put the IE8 on minimum bass too) .
The ATH-A900 are far more natural sound to me , sounds clear (a little over bright sometimes on loud orchestrals) the bass are really missing but they are there and extremely tight , superb impact and dynamics .
Even on a electro music like deadmaus5 "ghost and stuff" with my cans I can see to very different impact for the bass line whereas the IE8 I can barely feel that they are different ... I don't discover the music on the IE8 they sound like there's something between me and the stage . My head doesn't try to follow the music ... I don't enjoy it
frown.gif

Could you please help me to choose IEMs that may be more suitted for me .
The ones I was hesitating with were the SE530 but I was scared that the sound wasn't bright enough and that the sub bass would have impact (the IE8 don't have any sub bass impact for me ) , the Um3x (improved w3 for my purpose) but isn't it a bit to textured like the IE8 , too warm like them ?
Is there something else or brand I should be looking for ?

By fiddling with my computer equalizer I am pretty certain that the big problem with my IE8 is that I hate that bump in the low mids ... If I take 10db in the 50-100(peak)-1khz it sounds a LOT better much more natural . The sub bass are present and the higher frequency breath (at last!) .

Thank you in advance

From France

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 56
Shannow, almost nothing I own has the bass bravado of the IE8s; it can be overwhelming. Any of the IEMs you mention will have a less bassy, more balanced sound signature than the IE8s and should do better with classical music IMO. If you want something a bit bass rich, get the W3s. If you want accurate reproduction, get the UM3Xs. Personally, I've not been happy with my SE530s due to their muted bass and lack of high frequency extension. Others have gotten different mileage from their SE530s.

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 56
You can a) get used to the sound, b) use tips that give you less of a seal, but not too little that it sounds tinny, or c)keep EQing, as you've done

Crank the bass knob to max to get more sub bass

The IE8s just have a unique presentation, and it may not be for you

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 56
Yeah, you'll either settle for EQing or swap to something different sounding but with a more desired frequency response. The IE8 also likes a lot of wattage. It doesn't need it, but it will use a lot if you have it.

The UM3X might be closer to what you want. The bass might be still a little more then you want if you're doing a -10dB cut to get your (ear) flat, but it does start 4dB down from the IE8. It might just be you using a -10dB cut to get a broad enough sweep to reach up to the near 1kHz needed to flatten out the whole bump.

The UM3X is much more in your face. You are more up on stage versus way out in the crowd. There's a good bit more dynamic range, energy, and detail then the IE8. The sound stage is a lot better too in terms of location and distancing. Some people might not prefer using an earphone that's so direct though. It does seem that you might prefer the direct presentation as it sounds like you might want a more engaging and involving musical experience. The UM3X will give you that.

Another obvious choice is the Triple.Fi 10. It's excellently balanced and refined. It's not so in your face like the UM3X but also not 500 feet away like the IE8. I could call it slightly indirect like the IE8 but not as much so.

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 56
what DAP are u using? also are u getting a good seal..i mean i kno from reviews they dont provide the best seal and iso but it still could be a problem...if not i say u return them and go for another IEM

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by shannow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By fiddling with my computer equalizer I am pretty certain that the big problem with my IE8 is that I hate that bump in the low mids ... If I take 10db in the 50-100(peak)-1khz it sounds a LOT better much more natural . The sub bass are present and the higher frequency breath (at last!)

Hi shannow, you're hearing the IE8 exactly the way I do. This is no burn-in issue, I've had mine for more than a year. I love their overall sound signature but have to EQ them down -8db@80-100Hz. With a good parametric EQ like on the Cowons or on rockboxed DAPs this isn't a problem. Otherwise, I'm afraid you may be out of luck.
triportsad.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #10 of 56
Thanks for all these fast replies .

No not really I was happy with the cx300 for a 30$ in ear they were good ... For 200$ I wasn't expecting the same thing with another casing and a bit more treeble ... I can return them I still have 6 days guaranty but for what ?

The DAP is the source ? If so I use is on either my computer / nexus one / rotel ra-01 (connected to a cd platine) .

The basses on the IE8 are definaly there but they are just bad ... no finess , just lazy round basses , not tight , sounds almost like a rather sheap car stereo with its bass too boomy thing really nothing so like about them except their presence that are not welcome, no details , far too warm . Deep and tight bass would be the last words to describe them . Even my AKG K518 DJ that I use to hate for it I now like them more than the IE8 for it's bass ... the bass on it is very comparable to the CX-300 that are 170$ cheaper ... (I just had another go at all these headphones while writing this to make sure ). To reach the extra sub bass I have to put up the knob on it higher but then the low mids are even worst .
The guitars on heavy rock just sound wayyy to muddy . Aah there's so much I don't like about them ...

I have about 40-50hours of run on them and there's not a hint of any change on the sound reproduction it's delivering (in the meantime I still use my ath a900 as my reference).

No clarity about them I can't figure how many instruments there are in the orchestra it's just awful , I can't hear any details what so ever , no breath , no finger noise on the strings etc . I feel like there is a curtain between me and the players ...

Sorry If I sound harsh on them but I can't find anything to praise them sound wise . At the moment to my hears they are the CX-300 with (a bit) better highs and that's it ... a bit steep for a 170 extra dollars ...

I'm trying different ear buds but they provide about the same sound
frown.gif
I've just tried the grey one they do give a very little improvement on the bass but not much .

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #11 of 56
40-50 hrs is enough to hear their soundsignature.
Experiment with tips; I find they make a big difference with the IE8s, especially in the bass.
My favs are in my sig.

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #12 of 56
Where did you buy the IE8s? Are you sure they are not fakes?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shannow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all these fast replies .

No not really I was happy with the cx300 for a 30$ in ear they were good ... For 200$ I wasn't expecting the same thing with another casing and a bit more treeble ... I can return them I still have 6 days guaranty but for what ?

The DAP is the source ? If so I use is on either my computer / nexus one / rotel ra-01 (connected to a cd platine) .

The basses on the IE8 are definaly there but they are just bad ... no finess , just lazy round basses , not tight , sounds almost like a rather sheap car stereo with its bass too boomy thing really nothing so like about them except their presence that are not welcome, no details , far too warm . Deep and tight bass would be the last words to describe them . Even my AKG K518 DJ that I use to hate for it I now like them more than the IE8 for it's bass ... the bass on it is very comparable to the CX-300 that are 170$ cheaper ... (I just had another go at all these headphones while writing this to make sure ). To reach the extra sub bass I have to put up the knob on it higher but then the low mids are even worst .
The guitars on heavy rock just sound wayyy to muddy . Aah there's so much I don't like about them ...

I have about 40-50hours of run on them and there's not a hint of any change on the sound reproduction it's delivering (in the meantime I still use my ath a900 as my reference).

No clarity about them I can't figure how many instruments there are in the orchestra it's just awful , I can't hear any details what so ever , no breath , no finger noise on the strings etc . I feel like there is a curtain between me and the players ...

Sorry If I sound harsh on them but I can't find anything to praise them sound wise . At the moment to my hears they are the CX-300 with (a bit) better highs and that's it ... a bit steep for a 170 extra dollars ...

I'm trying different ear buds but they provide about the same sound
frown.gif
I've just tried the grey one they do give a very little improvement on the bass but not much .

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #14 of 56
Yes I checked them on one of the topics they are the real the "s" printed on them is correct everything matches (red cable , the box etc ) . They're quite common here at this price we are very close to Germany
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back