Bought HE-500, should I upgrade my amp (E17) ?
Jan 12, 2013 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Choses

New Head-Fier
So I searched the forums but found no clear answer.
I just bought the Hifiman HE-500 and I am using them on my E17. The sound seems fine for me as I have no experience with great headphones, but I wonder if the E17 is giving them enough power. If not, I'd like some recommendations on a good amp and DAC setup. I read about O2+ODAC combo (apparently not great), Lyr + Bifrost (too expensive for me), or Hifiman EF5 (again too expensive).

I'm searching for both an amp and DAC (using USB) for around $400-$500 total that would give my headphones a good increase in sound quality. Thanks!

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 8
i was going to come in here and reel off the Lyr + Bifrost combo because I recently acquired that very set up and it sounds fantastic. The HE-500's are driven strongly across the entire frequency range. Maybe a speaker amp and you could run the HE-500's off a speaker tap? The key is getting them enough power even though relatively speaking they are somewhat sensitive headphones.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 8
I don't have a speaker amp that I could use with them unfortunately.
I just read about the Modi/Magni from Schiit, maybe that would be good for the HE-500, but how much of an upgrade would I get compared to the E17? Also thought about using Lyr as an amp and my E17 as a DAC, is that a bad thing to do?

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 8
Your best bet is probably to buy an integrated or receiver from the 1970s or early 1980s, which will have a headphone socket driven off the speaker outputs (via a resistor network). Marantz, Sansui, Sony and Pioneer all had suitable products at the time. Do make sure that the PSU capacitors are still OK before firing her up, though.....

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 8
You could use the E17 as a DAC or you could sell the E17 and get a Schiit Modi or ODAC + amp.  Another amp that I personally liked was my friends Project Sunrise II amp, which sounded great with my HE-500s. Don't get me wrong, it's not quite as good as the Lyr but it still sounds pretty fantastic with the HE-500s IMHO. 

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 8
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB15.32/NFB15.32EN.htm

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #7 of 8
[size=9pt]Audio-GD NFB-15.32 will give you all the juice you need for your HE-500. Powerful amp and decent dac, all for only $260. this amp delivers way more watts output than what [/size]HE-500[size=9pt] requires, which needs no more that 1 watt per channel. very powerful for such a price. Audio-GD really did a good job with this one. I use Xonar [/size][size=9pt]Essence [/size][size=9pt]ST as  my primary dac. [/size]

Jan 12, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #8 of 8
I'm fairly sure the E17 can drive the HE-500. It has a rated sensitivity of 89 dBm, so assuming you want a peak SPL of 110 dB, the amount of current you want is ~126 mW. For the E17 to be able to drive these, it needs to be able to deliver this much current at 38 ohms (the impedance of the headphone). I haven't been able to find measurements of this amp, and I wouldn't go by the specs, but if it can't deliver this much, I'd be very surprised considering its price.

There are better amps out there, but whether they'd make a significant difference for you is another matter. If you're an audiophile, you'll probably want a better amp if you can afford it. Otherwise, you'll be rather underwhelmed I think. In any case, the O2+ODAC combo isn't bad at all. It's actually very highly regarded on these forums. A DAC/amp closer to your budget would be the Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11, but that doesn't mean it's better. If you need the extra features it provides, it's a great buy, but if you just need a USB DAC and an amp, I recommend the O2+ODAC combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back