Bought brand new Sony V6 today
Apr 28, 2005 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

yfei

100+ Head-Fier
I thought v6 has long been discontinued, I was wrong. Seen them brand new in local Fry's (Dallas, TX), grabbed one for $79.99+tax.

This phone is fabulous made compared to the Senns I have used (497, 280, 580).

Apr 28, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by yfei
I thought v6 has long been discontinued, I was wrong. Seen them brand new in local Fry's (Dallas, TX), grabbed one for $79.99+tax.

This phone is fabulous made compared to the Senns I have used (497, 280, 580).

Pretty good pricing for b&m, but then again it's Fry's. Just curious, but what about the sound makes you prefer it over the 280s?

Apr 28, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #3 of 8
Thats where I bought mine ~4 years ago. Pretty good in-store price. Only better deal around here is to take that price to guitar center and get them to beat it.

Garrett

Apr 28, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #4 of 8
Hee hee hee, my brother found one in a Goodwill surplus and all it needed was a new set of earpads. It even had the whole unimatch plug intact! Now only if I could find some SA1000's in a bargain bin...
rolleyes.gif

icon10.gif
Abe

Apr 28, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 8
ok,

compared to my poor english, there are many excellent v6 vs. 280 posts you can seach for.

I do noticed some differences:
- high: 280 is smoother. but i feel v6 reveals better.
- mid: v6 is correct, 280 has a bump, and echoey.
- low: 280 extention is very good, I can hear all low low stuff. But has a bump in very low freq (like 40~80hz, just gut feeling). And too tight, which means drum is unreal. A 'boooonnggg' becomes a 'pa'.
v6's bass is good, except: have a wider and higher bump at mid bass (like 60~200hz, just gut feeling). and this bump also hides very low bass, I can not hear low low bass as clear as 280.

- Both 280 and V6 have appearant defect in sound, and are way way below 580.
- But they are easy to drive, I feel my DAC1's headphone out lacks a little bit gut to drive 580, but perfect for 280 and V6.
- And 280/V6 can block out noise, good for office use. And this is the only reason for me to have them.

I strongly suggest people to buy high level phones (580,600) unless you listen in noisy environment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Pretty good pricing for b&m, but then again it's Fry's. Just curious, but what about the sound makes you prefer it over the 280s?

Apr 28, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
Hee hee hee, my brother found one in a Goodwill surplus and all it needed was a new set of earpads. It even had the whole unimatch plug intact! Now only if I could find some SA1000's in a bargain bin...
rolleyes.gif

icon10.gif
Abe

There are 3 goodwills en route to work. I think I might have to dive into them, like today. Cmon HD5xx...

yfei, thanks for your opinions.

Apr 28, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by yfei
ok,

v6's bass is good, except: have a wider and higher bump at mid bass (like 60~200hz, just gut feeling). and this bump also hides very low bass, I can not hear low low bass as clear as 280.

This is nearly exactly my impression of the V6 bass... Tons of thump from ~45-200 Hz that overwhelms the sub-bass (20-40 Hz) and makes it appear to have some degree of sub-bass roll-off.

Others here have disputed this, but... man... I swear thats exactly what Im hearing (being as objective as I possibly can).

Its nice to know someone elseis hearing what I am...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Your english is very good by the way.
biggrin.gif

Garrett

Apr 29, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
There are 3 goodwills en route to work. I think I might have to dive into them, like today. Cmon HD5xx...

You might find some excellently rad treasures. My Denon DCM350 cd player came from a Goodwill superstore (not the bin setup like Surplus) and I got the sucker for $10, and all that was wrong with it was a misaligned 5 disc carousel. It's headphone output is really nice, but what totally kicked major ass was the coax digital output. The very same day I got it I went out and got an AR Performance coax digital cable for it, and it's been great since. Too bad it won't play MP3's though(for a cd player built in 1990, I can't really complain). That would be my dream machine...

icon10.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back