Bought AT-AD700, Not Sure If Want...
Feb 3, 2010 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Brandon7s

100+ Head-Fier
Long time lurker, first time poster.

After researching, long and hard, about headphones for gaming, I decided to buy the AT-AD700s, considering that they only cost about $90, I figured there wasn't much to loose. Plus, they are considering some of the best headphones possible to buy for gaming, apparently. They came in today, and I just had a 3 hour gaming session with them. I'm used the stereo output on my PS3 into my Bose Companion (I know, I know) desktop speakers; and I used the headphone jack from these speakers to power the AD700. Probably not the best way to get the sound to my headphones, but I didn't feel like messing around with my EMU1820 patchmix panel to figure out how to use the optical output of my PS3.

These AD700s sound kinda thin. Now, the only headphones I have to compare them is a Sony MDR7509HD, which I realize is going to have far more meaty bass. I'm not a bass head, but these AD700 seem to be lacking just the same. Shots all sound a lot more "hollow", and explosions sound more like "poofs" than "booms". There's a definitely some sibilance going on in the higher registers (I've noticed this with music as well.) After just these 3 hours of gaming, my ears already feel fatigued, too. Oh, and whatever the AD700's ear padding is made of, it makes my skin itch (something that my Sony's don't have a problem with), otherwise, they are very comfortable. Very little pressure and nice and light. If the pads were made of a different material, they'd be perfect.

What I DO like about the AD700 I bought is the very wide and precise soundstage. I could pinpoint enemies quite a bit more accurately than I could with my 7509. Also, I love the openness. I want to try another open, or semi-open, back headphones. I don't need isolation at all, and I like being able to hear my own voice in a normal fashion, instead of muffled like they are with closed-back HPs. So, while I'm going to give them some more time, I'm also looking to order some another pair of headphones to see if I can find something better suited for me.

Soundwise, I'm looking for something a little more "fun", more impact, more "meatiness" to sound effects, if that makes any sense. A little more bass would be nice, but like I said, I'm not a bass head (my IEM is an ER-4). Less sibilance would be a good thing. I'm going to be using an Astro Mixamp which will be arriving in a week or so for my PS3 output. For music/PC gaming I will be using my E-MU 1820's headphone output. I know, it's no amp, but I really don't want to spend the money on getting a dedicated amp just yet.

My budget is at about 300USD (though I probably should be spending that money on my car maintenance...
biggrin.gif
) - Now, the other usual suspects in gaming tends to be Senn's HD595/555, Beyer's DT880, and... those are all the others I can think of, actually. I'm REALLY tempted to go for the DT880s, but I hear people say how recessed the mids are; and I think the ear pads on them is made from the same material as the AD700s? Also, the Astro Mixamp MIGHT have trouble powering them, but I wouldn't mind risking that if I thought the sound would be an improvement (more impact, basically).

I don't really know much about Sennheiser headphones, other than the HD280 I had a few years ago, but found to be unbearably uncomfortable to wear. Seriously, AWFUL comfort. I felt like my head was in a vice. Are the 555's much better? I've also heard they have far less soundstage than the AD700 or DT880. The AKG 702 or 701s piqued my interest as well. I'm not too sure how similar they sound to the AD700s though. If they sound quite similar, they certainly wouldn't be worth it for me to check out. I'd also be worried about driving these with the mixamp. Not sure how plausible that would be.

If you managed to get through my post, you have my gratitude. I realize it's pretty long-winded. I'd appreciate ANY advice or recommendations.

Feb 3, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #2 of 44
I owned the AD700 and loved them but ultimately wanted more myself. I tried the AD900 but sold them as I found them to be to sibilant and in many ways thin sounding as well. In the end I bought a nice small amp (see my signature) and went with a used HD600 and have been completely satisfied ever since. The soundstage is not quite as wide as the AD700 but has more depth I think and it simply will address you bass needs as well as less sibilance without loosing the detail. If you go used you should be able to get a pair for aroundd $200 but you will need an amp. I have heard good things about the NuForce uDac though as an adequate starter source and amp ($99) if you don't have the cash for an amp by itself. So this would be at the max for your budget but should get you started and as you can afford a better amp the phones will scale with it very well. BTW the RWAudio1 retails for $195 with the upgraded opamps.

Feb 3, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #3 of 44
Thanks for your advice. If I didn't need an amp with it, I'd probably order a pair of those right now. I don't want to get used though, mostly cause I don't use ebay, and I want to be able to send it back for a refund if it doesn't satisfy my needs.

Someone on these forums mentioned that the NuForce uDac is nice, but that it's much more of a DAC than an amp. I'm going to be running through my Astro mixamp for the voice and Dolby support, so that would defeat the purpose of an external DAC. Is there maybe a better amp that is SIMPLY an amp, for that price?

Still.. that'd be about 400USD. Not such a huge difference from 300USD, but one has to draw a line somewhere.
frown.gif
- I'm considering it, but I'd rather go with another option.

Feb 3, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #4 of 44
ATH-AD700 are pretty much the best gaming can around. You need to train your ears for at least 100 hours with them, purely gaming. With my onboard sound, it's shocking. No detail whatsoever and I cannot tell where enemies are etc. Into my X-Fi Elite Pro, everything is MUCH better. More detail, wider soundstage, pinpoint accuracy of where enemies are etc. Tried them again after a 2 month break from gaming and I have not had the same experience, as I need to re-train my ears again. You're using the headphone out of SPEAKERS, one of the worst ideas ever. I tired it with my G51 when I had them, I think my iPod earbuds competed with them. Source is very, very important for gaming from my experience.

Feb 3, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #5 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ATH-AD700 are pretty much the best gaming can around. You need to train your ears for at least 100 hours with them, purely gaming. With my onboard sound, it's shocking. No detail whatsoever and I cannot tell where enemies are etc. Into my X-Fi Elite Pro, everything is MUCH better. More detail, wider soundstage, pinpoint accuracy of where enemies are etc. Tried them again after a 2 month break from gaming and I have not had the same experience, as I need to re-train my ears again. You're using the headphone out of SPEAKERS, one of the worst ideas ever. I tired it with my G51 when I had them, I think my iPod earbuds competed with them. Source is very, very important for gaming from my experience.

I didn't have any problem detecting enemy positions and the such; I have no doubt that the soundstage is much better than my previous headphones. I'll try using the PS3's optical out into my EMU1820 and listen to that while gaming instead of through the speakers (which I realize is a bad idea, but I was lazy). I'd be VERY pleasantly surprised if it had that much of an impact on the "hollowness" of the sound quality though.

The REAL issue is the comfort.. man, every time I put these on it's just so ITCHY.
frown.gif
- which brings me to ask, what are the pads on the Sennheiser's headphones made of? No use even trying them if they are the same material as these.

Feb 3, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #6 of 44
Itchy? What are people on about with comfort of headphones these days, you're supposed to listen to the music, not pay attention to what they feel like when on your head
biggrin.gif
I have complaints about my ALO-780, but if the ATH-AD700 are a 9/10 on comfort, the ALO-780 are a 4. The ATH-AD700 are just SOOO comfortable. No complaints at all except they are loose on my head and can't tilt my head with them on.

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #7 of 44
I'm gonna second that itchy comment. My AD700's drove me insane for a while because they sounded great, yet I was unable to keep them on my head through a song because the itchyness was unbearable. It hasn't been that way recently though, so I guess it's just part of breaking it in?

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_love_hina /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm gonna second that itchy comment. My AD700's drove me insane for a while because they sounded great, yet I was unable to keep them on my head through a song because the itchyness was unbearable. It hasn't been that way recently though, so I guess it's just part of breaking it in?

Any idea how long it took before you noticed them NOT being itchy? Maybe I'll just try to wait it out, but I don't wanna wait so long that I can't send them back anymore.
biggrin.gif

Anyone here that has/had the AD700 ever try the HD555/595 headphones? When I was doing my original research before buying the AD700, the HD555 headphones were my next option. If you've heard them both, how would you compare them?

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #9 of 44
Have you considered the A900? Wide soundstage (though not as wide as the AD700), reputedly similar sound signature, pleather pads. Just as easy to drive, too, so amping won't be a huge concern.

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #10 of 44
When I put on hd800 my ears get helluva itchy. Alcantara may have something to do w/ it, and sometimes even to a point where it gets in the way of listening. I used to play Crysis Wars competitively (circle jumps ftw
biggrin.gif
) and lo and behold that itchiness got in the way, so I switched over to ad900. Comfort of ad900 was pretty decent, but not the best. Causes a slight pain in my right ear in the long haul. Doesn't cause itchiness though.

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #11 of 44
I love my AD700s, but I can understand why they sound that way for ya. I am one that saw a significant benefit in pairing the neutral AD700s with the warmer sound signature of a Nuforce uDAC. If you look at my previous posts you can read about them.

What about AKG M240? They are pretty comfortable, easy to drive, and have most of the characteristics of the AD700, but a bit smoother and more full in the lower end. I think there's a few threads regarding AD700s vs K240s.

Sorry I'm going to bed, or I would search for you!

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric_C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered the A900? Wide soundstage (though not as wide as the AD700), reputedly similar sound signature, pleather pads. Just as easy to drive, too, so amping won't be a huge concern.

A900? The close-backed ones? While it's true that I would prefer open back, I'm not entirely opposed to closed, as long as the soundstage is still excellent. I'll look around on the forums and see what people say about them. They weren't really on my radar, but they ARE in my price range, and easy to drive, like you said. Plus, pleather... that's lookin' mighty nice right now, haha.

Quote:

What about AKG M240?

I googled that, but couldn't find anything. Do you mean AKG K240?

*EDIT* Are the pads on the AD900 pleather as well?

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #13 of 44
Brandon, you can also pull the covers off and wash them, I would suggest using something very mild like the stuff they use to wash wool (woolite??) and rinsing them well, and of course letting them thoroughly dry out before putting them back on the phones. If you search for a thread I started on a tape mod for the AD900/700 pads there is a link in the thread that has a video showing how to remove the pads.

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #14 of 44
Brandon7s: Yup, A900, no typo there. It's been a while since I auditioned them, but I recall being mighty pleased with their sound quality unamped. And yes, it's surprising given the normal biases one might have against closed headphones.

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #15 of 44
Ok, I'm going to order the AT-A900s. If I'm going to do this headphones thing, it's not worth it having itchy ears and thin explosions
wink.gif
- if this pair doesn't work out for me, I'll just keep the AT-A700 and hope the comfort factor settles itself, and live with the sound being kinda thin; it's not that big of a deal for 90USD.

I'll let you guys know what I think of the AT-A900 when I get it. Shipping them 1-3 day shipping, total of 270USD on amazon.. I coulda got a better deal on audiocubes but I've never used them, and especially never sent anything back to them, so I'd rather use a place I'm comfortable with. This'll be interesting.
biggrin.gif

I have a feeling these will definitely be better for the music I listen to, if not for gaming as well. 80% of my music is pop/rock. The AD700 just sound weak with that kind of music, from what I've listened to thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back