Bought AT-AD700, Not Sure If Want...
Feb 6, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #31 of 44
That's good news. Enjoy.
beyersmile.png

Feb 6, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #32 of 44
yep sounds good, thanks for the review.
enjoy.
apparently BC2 will have/has (beta only atm) some very sick audio. so im looking forward to that one on the PC.

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #34 of 44
wash the pads of the AD700 and they will get alot better.

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #36 of 44
I, too, use the AD700 with a MixAmp for gaming. I wanted more bass impact and one of the guys online who also, among many, has the AD700 suggested I try the mousepad mod; cut up a couple of circles from a mousepad big enough to cover the inside of the grill of each earcup then put the foam over that. It doesn't close it completely so the soundstage isn't altered much but the bass is more pronounced and it sounds like I moved a few more rows toward the front.

Feb 17, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #37 of 44
Here's a little bit of update on the AD700 vs A900 front.

I'm returning the A900. After much use, I just can't justify keeping them. Since I've washed the AD700 pads, the AD700 is much a fair bit more comfortable, and I find myself listening to the AD700s more than the A900s for more reasons than just comfort. The A900 sound a bit muddy to me; especially in the low-low/mid. I actually prefer the bass on the AD700 - it's much more detailed in my opinion. I was listening to some trip-hop (Emancipator) and thoroughly enjoying it. Sure, there's not a lot of volume there, but it's clear and detailed. Also, the A900 just doesn't have the sparkle and detailed highs that the AD700 has.

I actually think the AD700 has improved a good bit since I've gotten it; though, it could just be my imagination. The highs seem a little more tame, the bass has opened up, and the itchiness has gone away almost entirely (maybe another wash would fix that completely). Overall, I just enjoy the AD700s more.

As a result of this, I ordered a the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro (250 ohm), and these should be arriving tomorrow (17th).
biggrin.gif
- If I like their sound signature, I'm probably going to buy a Little Dot MKIII as well, since my current amplification method is just not up to speed. I'm buying this set of headphones mostly for the music aspect, but if they are good for gaming then that's awesome as well. In any case, I'm definitely keeping the AD700s. I like them more and more every time I listen to them.

Feb 17, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #38 of 44
Looking forward to your impressions. I am looking forward to the arrival of my Grado HF-2. Hopefully they will arrive tomorrow (18th). 6PM on the 17th right now
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #39 of 44
Glad to hear the washing thing did the trick with your AD700, having heard A700 and A900 I completely understand your decision to stay with the AD700. I look forward to hearing your impressions of the DT990Pro.

Feb 17, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #40 of 44
Great review. I also ordered ath-ad700 and it should be here today.. !!! I can't wait to compare it to k701..

Feb 17, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioHi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review. I also ordered ath-ad700 and it should be here today.. !!! I can't wait to compare it to k701..

I'd be curious to hear your impression of the AD700 compared to the K701. The AKG is a headphone that I've thought about getting a few times, but since I have the AD700, I thought it might be a little redundant.

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon7s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be curious to hear your impression of the AD700 compared to the K701. The AKG is a headphone that I've thought about getting a few times, but since I have the AD700, I thought it might be a little redundant.

Yeah. I've used an akg k701 through some super high quality studio gear and the whole time I was just thinking "this really doesn't have anything on the AD700." The K701 is less grainy, but that's really ahrd to pick up on. It's perhaps slightly more detailed in the upper frequencies, but to the point of sounding artificial.

Honestly, and I will probably get lambasted for this around these parts, if you want to buy a piece of gear that will really help out your AD700's, a nice rack EQ will really help them out.

Something like Amazon.com: Nady GEQ231 - GEQ Series 31-band Rack Graphic Equalizer: Musical Instruments could really solve whatever lingering sibilance and lack of bass issues you have.

Feb 17, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #43 of 44
Well, I just received my Beyeredynamic DT990 Pro headphones, and have been trying them with various songs for the last 20 minutes or so; running them out of my EMU 1820 headphone out port. The first thing that I noticed was the bass. Much more bass than the AD700, and it seems at least as tight and defined. I also noticed that vocals are more recessed; at least male vocals, I can't tell much of a difference with female vocals. The highs are really, really clear, which I like, but they are also a bit too prominent on some songs - more so than the AD700. These are also mad comfortable. Once the clamping stretches a little bit, it'll get even better too.

I really like the sound signature on these, and the amount of detail and impact. I'm dying to see what kind of improvement an actual headphone amp will make, cause what I'm using right now is far from ideal for powering this set. Should be interesting to see what changes with burn in, too.
I sent an email inquiring about purchasing a Little Dot MKIII amp, but they won't be back in business until the 23rd; I'm definitely going to order one of these amps though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back