Bought another MD Player, your verdict
Mar 27, 2010 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Albinoni

500+ Head-Fier
Ok I did it again and decided to buy a 2nd hand, and in mint A1 condition Sony Mini Disc Player, this time a SONY MZ-N707 (blue) from Ebay Australia and in a1 condition.

Some Q's:

1. Whats the SQ of this player like and does it come with remote ?
2. How do I transfer music from my laptop to this player, I do have a SPDIF port on my laptop, do I use that.

3. Can I use rechargeables on this unit?

4. Is this a good unit ?

Thanks

Mar 27, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 22
It doesnt matter if its a good unit, because its too late.....You already bought it.
Now listen to it and decide for yourself if you like it or not.

I have a Sony MD. I like it, but its easier to just use a DAP really. Shame it wasnt the preferred media over redbook CDs instead.

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #3 of 22
It comes with a remote in the earphone unit alright:
MZ-N707_L_01_low.jpg

Nice mini-disc player - mid-end, rather than hi-end mini-disc. You should be happy with it, and happier still if you're amp'ing it.

These are great bargains - check out the MD Community Page: Sony MZ-N707 pages for more.

Nothing like a MD-DAP to beat value and cost, particularly if you have one already. They are so cheap and sound wayyy better than the majority of MP3 and iPod players out there.

You can use rechargeables; the easiest ones to acquire are the standard AA size lithium rechargeables which fit into an accessory pod, clipped onto the player. The Sharp gumstick batteries also replace the Sony ones - just read the milli-amperes and voltage of the gumsticks to make sure you match them. The Sharp ones are still made and sold but you need the recharger unit. If yours doesn't have it, that's quite a blow. You might have to buy yet another MD player just for the recharger
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #5 of 22
Some of those MD players do sound better. Makes me wanna get mine out again and try it.

Mar 29, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 22
Just some questions here re MD players:

1. How do MD players work, are they the same as a CD player where it uses a
laser to read the Disc or is it magnetic ?

2. If I want to transfer music over from my Toshiba laptop (which has a SPDIF)
port can I use this to transfer music or do I need to use USB ?

3. How many songs can I store on one blank MD Disc ?

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 22
I still have my Sony MD-R55 the battery life sucked ass but I will pull it out every now and then.. For live stuff I use my Zoom H2 recorder.

And for Albinoi it's the same as a CD (well really a small sized CD-RW) if you have the recorder model it does use a laser to read the disc.

if your recorder has a optical in you can transfer music

On a blank disc.. it's been awhile but I think the highest disc is 80 min for stereo and something like 125 min for mono?

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by lasraik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you say transfer music you mean without having to listen to everything and a drag and drop?

well yes, but can I drag n drop using optical cable or does it have to be usb ?

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #11 of 22
Recording with an optical cable has to be done in realtime. For faster transfers with USB, you have to use Sony NetMD software. I don't think there is any true "drag and drop," except maybe with Hi-MD players, but I don't know anything about those, and the mz-n707 isn't one anyway.

Back when I was a big MD user, I used to burn audio CD images with Nero, mount them with Daemon Tools, and transfer them over with Sony's "Simple Burner" software. I found this to be a very good method because it was reasonably fast and allowed for gapless playback. If you google a little bit, you can probably find a how-to.

Apr 7, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #14 of 22
I still use my Sony MXD D5C deck, snycro records from CD's and picked up a cheap MZNE 410 portable player refurbished from amazon. Coupled with Grado 80's it still is the best portable sounding I've got.I still use sonic stage 4.3 , although running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, I have to use sonic stage thru Xp virtualization, no net md drivers for 64 bit windows 7.

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #15 of 22
I still use my MD players and every once in a while I listen to my IPOD but just to go back to MD and find out how much more satisfying MD is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back