Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Oct 26, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #151 of 2,108
I had the same opinion of the Crack when I sampled a PS Audio DL III against my current Nuforce HDP.  Now I didn't have the S.E.X to compare to but I'm glad you find the difference between the two narrowing with upstream equipment upgrades.

Oct 26, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #153 of 2,108
That DAC is one sexy bit of kit.  Are you running a fully balanced setup on the S.E.X. amp?

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #154 of 2,108
I just traded my Crack and have S.E.X now but have just one question. I know it uses 6DN7 tubes but the tubes I got have no labeling on its base just 6DN7 on the glass and that they are made in USA but was told that those are not the tubes included in kit but are upgraded ones. I went to couple of tubes online stores and they just say various brands for the same price per tube.I also checked eBay but there usually single tubes not matched pairs. Any suggestions?

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #155 of 2,108
  That DAC is one sexy bit of kit.  Are you running a fully balanced setup on the S.E.X. amp?

No, just single-ended. I'm contemplating fully balanced at some stage (perhaps with the Matrix Quattro amp), but at the moment SE is fine.

I just traded my Crack and have S.E.X now but have just one question. I know it uses 6DN7 tubes but the tubes I got have no labeling on its base just 6DN7 on the glass and that they are made in USA but was told that those are not the tubes included in kit but are upgraded ones. I went to couple of tubes online stores and they just say various brands for the same price per tube.I also checked eBay but there usually single tubes not matched pairs. Any suggestions?

As far as I've found, there is no significant difference between any of the 6DN7 tubes out there. The only "upgrade" might be in buying a matched set, but that's really all.

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #156 of 2,108

No, just single-ended. I'm contemplating fully balanced at some stage (perhaps with the Matrix Quattro amp), but at the moment SE is fine.

As far as I've found, there is no significant difference between any of the 6DN7 tubes out there. The only "upgrade" might be in buying a matched set, but that's really all.

Thanks for so easy answer. I will buy few pairs to make sure I have extras cause I see S.E.X. with HD800 and Q-Audio cable as and of the game setup simce by changing just cable I will be able to use headphones with speakers taps

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #157 of 2,108

Thanks for so easy answer. I will buy few pairs to make sure I have extras cause I see S.E.X. with HD800 and Q-Audio cable as and of the game setup simce by changing just cable I will be able to use headphones with speakers taps

Searching the Bottlehead forum i get the impression there really is no difference between different brands, except for a post from Doc.B saying the TungSol tubes sounded slightly different, he didn't say better or worse, just different.  Some people also claim the coin base variants sounds slightly different.

I bought a spare set of NOS Sylvania Black Plates for mine, just because they look nice
rolleyes.gif

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #159 of 2,108
Thanks for information , I will look for them and if the matching pairs are available I will get them

Thetubecenter.com will match tubes for you for just a couple bucks.  I got some tubes from them, as the tubes I got originally caused a slight channel imbalance.  And from what I understand there aren't really any upgrade tubes for the kit.  These tubes are supposed to be really hearty, which I like, since they were originally designed to be inside TVs.

Oct 30, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #164 of 2,108
 What DAC do you recommend with that pairing?

The one im selling! :wink:

Jokes aside, the best option is something pretty neutral and clean. The Crack is beautifully smooth so you don't need added warmth, just clean and neutral sound.

What's your budget and main source? (ie do you need USB and 192kHz?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back