Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Oct 26, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #1,966 of 2,108
Inspired by the beauty of the Mainline amplifier. I decided to rewire my S3X and lose a stage. Just a single stage, doing it all. For speakers and headphones this time.

It now uses the E55L tube (triode connector for a massive 50mA/V transconductance!!) from the Mullard Mitcham factory. This tube is a marvel on it's own, among the best 1960's pentode tube technology had to offer. http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2011/11/tube-of-month-e55l.html

The sound is clear, detailed, layers and layers of accurate reproduction. Does it rival my Mainline... unfortunately yes it does.
It's the kind of amp that's so detailed and good, you just keep turning up the volume.

Attachments

• IMG_6778.JPG
    IMG_6778.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6763.JPG
    IMG_6763.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Oct 26, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #1,967 of 2,108
... I decided to rewire my S3X and lose a stage. Just a single stage, doing it all. For speakers and headphones this time.

It now uses the E55L tube (triode connector for a massive 50mA/V transconductance!!) from the Mullard Mitcham factory. ...

... Does it rival my Mainline... unfortunately yes it does. ...
Interesting. Do tell. Which stage did you get rid of and how did you do it??

Oct 26, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #1,968 of 2,108
I say... Alfalfa.

And yes, the SEX is a good way to go. Don't be surprised that it's not as "tube-ish" sounding as the Crack. Tube hybrid amps can be another good solution - the Cavalli MCTH, Liquid Platinum, Lyr 3, etc. Also, you can try little kits like this, if you like to tinker.
Yeah, just responding to this now... I'm good with not as tube'ish. My experience informs me that tubes and transistors (or op amps) can sound any which way, though there may be more typical characteristics of each. The Audio Research, Sonic Fronitiers, and later C-J tubed gear I had (and I still have a C-J CAV-50) didn't so very "tube'ish". I had a very early C-J amp updated by its original designer and that update changed its sonics entirely.

Rolling tubes can alter the sonics of the Crack, like it can with much tube equipment. I tend to triangulate on a sonic character that's less soft, mostly wanting more edge, speed, and space from the Senn 6XX + Crack combo.

The first headphone amp I tried was a Millett tube hybrid, and I built and still have a Butte.

I've started the assembly of my S3X, but haven't finished it.

Oct 27, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #1,969 of 2,108
Interesting. Do tell. Which stage did you get rid of and how did you do it??

It's not just getting rid of one single stage. By changing the amp to a single stage setup from a dual stage amp it originally is; all needs to change.
IMG_6709.JPG
I first removed all internals and tube sockets from my original S3X. It had brought me beautifull music for years and inspired by the Mainline, i felt the need for a makeover.
IMG_6757.JPG
It was rebuild as shown in the following schematics. I feel the S3X now sounds closer to the Mainline than i've ever heard it. So clear, very accurate in reproduction, with the hitting and tight bass I used to hear with S3X. It's the best of both worlds! I'm enjoying it a lot.
Hope to further improve upon it's sound with some film caps and other parafeed coupling caps.
E55L amp.pngE55L pwr.png

Nov 11, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #1,970 of 2,108
It's been a while since my last post here hope you guys are all well.

Something for the cap junkies here.

I had been thinking bout trying the Duelund silver foil bypass capacitors in my Mainline for a while now after installing the Duelund Cast Copper capacitors in my Bottlehead Eros phono stage a few years ago and being impressed with the results.

Duelund very recently announced a new versions of both their silver and copper foil bypass capacitors along with cutting the price by 50% due to improved synergy after taking over Jenson who were undertakening the winding of them for Duelund.
The new improved version is called the Duelund JDM (Jenson Domestic Market).

At the new price (£35 each here in the UK) I couldn't resist the temptation to give them a try. After installing the silver foils in bypass configuration onto the 10 uf RTI Teflon Tin foil capacitors I have in my Mainline I have been listening to tunes through them for a few days now.

Current chain
Roon Rock (all SSD) >Oppo205 DAC >Bottlehead Mainline amp> Sennheiser hd800 (balanced cable)

These silver foils are really quiet something the difference has been significant and across the board from top to bottom.

It's hard not to gush but in all honestly it feels like I am listening to a different dac and that's not some thing I expected to be saying or say lightly.

For clarification I purchased the Duelund JDM Silver foil capacitors with my own money from their authorised distributor here in the UK and have no other financial connection with them.

Congratulation to Duelund for making such a superb product available at such a affordable price.

Thank you for the info, I am going to try the Duelund. Do I just connect them to ends of the 10uf cap? I also want to upgrade the 10uf. What is the large white one you use? Is that the best?

Nov 11, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #1,971 of 2,108
Thank you for the info, I am going to try the Duelund. Do I just connect them to ends of the 10uf cap? I also want to upgrade the 10uf. What is the large white one you use? Is that the best?

Hi cheers yes the Duelunds just connect to the ends of the 10uf caps.

Those white 10uf capacitors in my Mainline are RTI Teflon tin foils. Probably hard to find now as they were actually made for a company called Audio Research to go in their cost no object anniversary preamp but a mix up in the order ment they were the right uf. value but wrong physical size to fit the amp.

A nearby company to them TC Tubes who supply some of the tubes for their amps was used to quietly dispose of them think there was only around 30 available a good number of them of those went to Mainline owners.

I've also used the 10uf audyn interlink cap plus capacitor in the Mainline and thought it excellent plus it's a reasonable price.

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #1,972 of 2,108
Hi cheers yes the Duelunds just connect to the ends of the 10uf caps.

Those white 10uf capacitors in my Mainline are RTI Teflon tin foils. Probably hard to find now as they were actually made for a company called Audio Research to go in their cost no object anniversary preamp but a mix up in the order ment they were the right uf. value but wrong physical size to fit the amp.

A nearby company to them TC Tubes who supply some of the tubes for their amps was used to quietly dispose of them think there was only around 30 available a good number of them of those went to Mainline owners.

I've also used the 10uf audyn interlink cap plus capacitor in the Mainline and thought it excellent plus it's a reasonable price.
I have contacted Tyler at TC tubes and he is helping me out. I really appreciate your help on this. Another question regarding the bypass cap, I have a very nice set of audionote .1uf caps. Would they work for the bypass? I saw the Duelund you use are .01uf
As you can tell I’m extremely uneducated in this area 😅

Nov 12, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #1,973 of 2,108
I have contacted Tyler at TC tubes and he is helping me out. I really appreciate your help on this. Another question regarding the bypass cap, I have a very nice set of audionote .1uf caps. Would they work for the bypass? I saw the Duelund you use are .01uf
As you can tell I’m extremely uneducated in this area 😅

I've always found Tyler at TC Tubes very helpful and have used them a number of times over the years myself as they ship to the UK.

Yes absolutely try the Audionote as a bypass I'm very much in the try it and see camp you can always swap them out for something else at a later date.

Nov 13, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #1,974 of 2,108
I am receiving my mainline tomorrow. I didn’t build it and I’m wondering how to bias the tubes. I’ve googled it but there is really nothing online, I assume because most of you built yours. Looking at the pics I would guess it’s the screws on the two small blue Blocks on the center PCB? Where do I attach the positive and negative leads of the multimeter and what voltage am I looking for.
Thank you!

Nov 24, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #1,976 of 2,108
It's been a while since my last post here hope you guys are all well.

Something for the cap junkies here.

I had been thinking bout trying the Duelund silver foil bypass capacitors in my Mainline for a while now after installing the Duelund Cast Copper capacitors in my Bottlehead Eros phono stage a few years ago and being impressed with the results.

Duelund very recently announced a new versions of both their silver and copper foil bypass capacitors along with cutting the price by 50% due to improved synergy after taking over Jenson who were undertakening the winding of them for Duelund.
The new improved version is called the Duelund JDM (Jenson Domestic Market).

At the new price (£35 each here in the UK) I couldn't resist the temptation to give them a try. After installing the silver foils in bypass configuration onto the 10 uf RTI Teflon Tin foil capacitors I have in my Mainline I have been listening to tunes through them for a few days now.

Current chain
Roon Rock (all SSD) >Oppo205 DAC >Bottlehead Mainline amp> Sennheiser hd800 (balanced cable)

These silver foils are really quiet something the difference has been significant and across the board from top to bottom.

It's hard not to gush but in all honestly it feels like I am listening to a different dac and that's not some thing I expected to be saying or say lightly.

For clarification I purchased the Duelund JDM Silver foil capacitors with my own money from their authorised distributor here in the UK and have no other financial connection with them.

Congratulation to Duelund for making such a superb product available at such a affordable price.

Hey Jamie, wondering if you have an update about the Duelund bypass caps after living with them for a while?
I got a set of the 10uf red and gold Audio Research caps from Tyler and they sound great. I emailed Doc about bypassing those 10 UF caps and he says he doesn’t do it because of the potential for smearing or ringing. I had these 0.1 UF V-caps sitting around so I decided to just throw them in and see if I can hear a difference. Wow, it was not Subtle! They still have to burn in because they’ve been sitting on the shelf for about five years but the immediate difference is much cleaner highs and a tighter base. I’m not hearing any smearing a ringing yet but I’ll have to live with them for a while. I have a set of 15uf Audyn tri-reference coming today. I’m gonna be burning in caps for a while 😀
Arlan

Nov 24, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #1,977 of 2,108
Hi Arlan good to hear your enjoying the Mainline. With the bypassing sometimes it works out other times not. The only certainty is you need to try to find out and that be fun in itself what ever the end result.

I don't think my Duelunds will be coming out anytime soon. This hobby can get pretty crazy with aftermarket cables, tube rolling, usb filters etc etc. The cost of the Duelunds is pretty reasonable in comparison plus they can always come out and be tried in another amp or sold on.

Nov 25, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #1,979 of 2,108
Ignoring the price is the mainline or crackatwoa the better amplifier for 300ohm headphones?
I have not tried the crackatowoa but I can tell you my Vérité closed (300ohm) sound spectacular on the Mainline with upgraded caps. Much better than on the exceptional Master 9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back