Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Jul 10, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #766 of 2,108
  I'm proud to be a Bottlehead fan
biggrin.gif

The new DHT SMASH preamp sounded really awesome with the S.E.X
smily_headphones1.gif

P/S: sorry for the photo qualities, the camera of my iPod is just bad!

I didn't know you owned Orcas!!!!

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #767 of 2,108
Jul 11, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #769 of 2,108
Nobody is talking Smack in here!  I wish I had other Bottlehead amps to compare with, but I have a Smack kit with some small changes (Caps and Pot) and have been enjoying it for a while now. Seems to work with most everything except sensitive balanced armature in ear monitors.

Jul 11, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #770 of 2,108
  Nobody is talking Smack in here!  I wish I had other Bottlehead amps to compare with, but I have a Smack kit with some small changes (Caps and Pot) and have been enjoying it for a while now. Seems to work with most everything except sensitive balanced armature in ear monitors.

No, the Smack is retired isn't it? (Or have I just lost track of all the crazy names?
wink.gif
)

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #772 of 2,108
  I'm proud to be a Bottlehead fan
biggrin.gif

The new DHT SMASH preamp sounded really awesome with the S.E.X
smily_headphones1.gif

P/S: sorry for the photo qualities, the camera of my iPod is just bad!

Nice set up Kratos and interesting to see the Mainline with the headphones and other amps in close proximity I know they give the measurements and there are lots of pics about but somehow I had got it in my head the Mainlines footprint was much bigger. I don't know how that came about so its good to see it is more compact than I thought. How did you get on with shipping the speakers did they come flat packed or ready assembled?

Cheers

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #773 of 2,108

Nice set up Kratos and interesting to see the Mainline with the headphones and other amps in close proximity I know they give the measurements and there are lots of pics about but somehow I had got it in my head the Mainlines footprint was much bigger. I don't know how that came about so its good to see it is more compact than I thought. How did you get on with shipping the speakers did they come flat packed or ready assembled?

Cheers

Perhaps because it is much bigger than the Crack and / or S.E.X. - particularly in depth because it's as deep as it is wide. My Crack and S.E.X. both fitted on the bench beside my desk, but the Mainline hangs well over the edge (and therefore has to go on my desk).

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #774 of 2,108

Perhaps because it is much bigger than the Crack and / or S.E.X. - particularly in depth because it's as deep as it is wide. My Crack and S.E.X. both fitted on the bench beside my desk, but the Mainline hangs well over the edge (and therefore has to go on my desk).

Yes I expect so, photographs can sometime be deceptive, Those close up shots of the HLMP-6000 biasing LED's for the Crack spring to because the perspective is required for the manual they look quiet big and you think ok that looks easy enough, when actually they are tiny and rather fiddly.  

Jul 11, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #775 of 2,108

Yes I expect so, photographs can sometime be deceptive, Those close up shots of the HLMP-6000 biasing LED's for the Crack spring to because the perspective is required for the manual they look quiet big and you think ok that looks easy enough, when actually they are tiny and rather fiddly.  

Haha. Don't remind me! I'm going to have dreams about melted LEDs tonight!!
wink.gif

Aug 1, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #778 of 2,108
Music = mostly classical, baroque, period instruments, acoustic, and to a lesser extent most other forms of music
I would be most interested in the amp which could convey the quality and intent of the recording most accurately, naturally and neutrally.
If the recording was recorded in a spacious environment, i would want to hear this. Same goes for an intimate recording.

Aug 1, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #779 of 2,108
Music = mostly classical, baroque, period instruments, acoustic, and to a lesser extent most other forms of music
I would be most interested in the amp which could convey the quality and intent of the recording most accurately, naturally and neutrally.
If the recording was recorded in a spacious environment, i would want to hear this. Same goes for an intimate recording.

I would probably suggest the S.E.X. in that case as it conveys a larger sense of space and detail in the music, but not artificially so - just showing you what's there in a spacious way. A friend who's judgment I trust believes the S.E.X. + HD800 combo to be among the very best he's heard for classical recordings.

It's very important to get the C4S add-on for the S.E.X. as it makes a HUGE difference!!

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #780 of 2,108
I can also confirm the SEX sounds great with a variety of headphones.  Id start with and HD600 over an HD800 for the versatility of the HD600.  I owned both headphones and dumped the HD800 after a few months.  Maybe if I only listened to classical the HD800 would have stayed around longer but now that I have a pair of STAX which blow away everything Ive owned except the K1000 which are incredible in their own right 

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back