Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Jun 1, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #2,071 of 2,108
Oh, this was at least a year ago, let me know if there is any different answer!

My memory isn’t THAT bad :).
They said running both at the same time is fine.

"It's unlikely that you're gong to cause damage unless you are listening to something like the HD650 and you have the other headphones still plugged in, as this will produce a very loud listening level out of the HD650.

The balanced/unbalanced switch moves grounds around but otherwise leaves the circuit alone."

Jun 1, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #2,073 of 2,108

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #2,074 of 2,108
I want pics showing you listening to it @ 35,000 ft .... you would be legend!
Be the first Mile-hier Head-Fier….😏🤣

Jun 1, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #2,077 of 2,108
I bet people would sh@t their pants if I broke out my Crack and I laid 'er down on the tray table .....
Stewardess....he seems to have a 1920s bomb!

Jun 1, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #2,078 of 2,108
Jun 1, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #2,079 of 2,108
Jun 1, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #2,082 of 2,108
They said running both at the same time is fine.

"It's unlikely that you're gong to cause damage unless you are listening to something like the HD650 and you have the other headphones still plugged in, as this will produce a very loud listening level out of the HD650.

The balanced/unbalanced switch moves grounds around but otherwise leaves the circuit alone."
so what's the point of having that switch?

now I have another question: the impedance switch, what does it supposed to do? When I switch it I don't hear any differences :frowning2:

Jun 1, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #2,083 of 2,108
so what's the point of having that switch?

now I have another question: the impedance switch, what does it supposed to do? When I switch it I don't hear any differences :frowning2:
What headphones are you using?
The Un/Blanced switch just moves the grounds so there is a balanced ground for the XLR output, which can give a very light improvement to the sound on XLR out.
The impedance switch is just to help regulate the power when using low ohm headphones. Switching it to low impedance can help clean up the noise floor on super sensitive IEMs and headphones. Really, unless you are using super sensitive headphones/IEMs you won't notice any difference on the vast majority of headphones between high and low gain, besides maybe a slight boost in volume when switching to high gain.

Jun 1, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #2,084 of 2,108
What headphones are you using?
The Un/Blanced switch just moves the grounds so there is a balanced ground for the XLR output, which can give a very light improvement to the sound on XLR out.
The impedance switch is just to help regulate the power when using low ohm headphones. Switching it to low impedance can help clean up the noise floor on super sensitive IEMs and headphones. Really, unless you are using super sensitive headphones/IEMs you won't notice any difference on the vast majority of headphones between high and low gain, besides maybe a slight boost in volume when switching to high gain.
Right now I am using Hemps

Jun 1, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #2,085 of 2,108
Right now I am using Hemps
Run the Grados and most headphones under 100ohms run it on low impedance. Here is what BH say on the impedance difference.

"For headphones which are very sensitive (Grados, IEMs, etc), the low impedance setting will provide a blacker background. It will also provide lower distortion and better damping, especially into low impedance headphones.

The high impedance setting will provide more power out of the amp provided the headphones used are not low impedance headphones. The trade-off here is a slightly higher noise floor and a bit less damping and potentially more distortion. If you are using a 100+ ohm headphone on the high impedance setting, odds are you won't hear the difference in noise, nor the increase in THD and decrease in damping.

If you have super sensitive 16 ohm IEMs, you may very well be able to here these changes more easily."

Basically you won't noticed a difference unless you are using super low or super high ohm headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back